Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

Before you look any further I want you all to know that this post is not meant to stir contoversy. First of all, I think all of the bashing of different ATV's I've seen is just plain ridiculous, inmature, and a waste of time to have to sift through worthless posts for those who utilize this and any other forum for finding helpful information, and the sharing of the ATVing experience. Secondly, maybe with the exception of some of the latecomers to the market you would be hard pressed to find an ATV that was of low quality, or as some have used in posts junk, or a POS. There is simply too much competition for a seemingly infinite expanding market for ATV's, and No mfg. has a model that is far out of range from their competitor, otherwise they would eventually go out of business.

With that said, I recently read the article that was posted on the reviews of the '05 Honda 500 lineup. They are great machines, always have and always will be. As I stated earlier there are many other as well.

Here is a little quote from the ATV Connection Magazine:

Traxlok® switch kicks the front end in and out with no sound and appears to be smooth in operation. An electromagnetic mechanical clutch unit located on the center of the drive shaft engages 4WD with a two-way roller clutch. Unlike mechanical designs, Traxlok® is supposed to ensure smooth operation by employing a magnetic switching mechanism that engages when front and rear wheel speeds vary by less than 6 mph.

Sorry it took so long to really get to the point with the Disclaimer and all, I just thought it was very interesting for those that do bash Polaris, that another mfg.especially one with the stature of Honda has taken a similar approach of Polaris to its new Traxlok® AWD system. That is why you have to love competition, in the end it is the consumer that wins, because we get the best product. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy,
ZMan079

Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I 'lll take a stab at this. And I agree, ..the mine is better than yours, is just an opinion, and doesnt carry much weight . Id rather hear facts.
The only thing in common, is using electromagnets, to enable 4wd.
Polaris has hubs that engage with electromagnets. The honda joins the splines on the driveshaft, to engage the front diff. Actually, I think the yamahas , bombs,and some suzukis do it this way as well.
Theres no differential in front of a polaris, its a spool. The honda uses a torque sensing differential, like range rovers have. The tire that needs the torque will get it, (until one front gets airborne.)
The polaris can only be enabled, then it needs wheel spin to engage. The honda engages, whenever the switch is flicked, and the light comes on.
Im still waiting for polaris to have 4 wheel engine braking, hondas have always been able to do this. They would have to completely change their design to get it though..because the front ring and pinion have a different ratio, than the rear gears have. Honda has the same ratio front and back, which is why it can be left on, even in high traction riding.
Heres an old, but pretty good article on the honda, and front differential.

pop mechs

Why did you sell your honda?

Old 12-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

so what you're saying is, even in the year 2005, with all the advancements that other mfgers have made with their 4wd systems, and even though Honda is putting out all new models, they are sticking with 3 wheel drive?

Old 12-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Hondabuster,
Thanks for the facts on how the Honda system differs!
My interpretation from the article was that the Traxlok® engages when front and rear wheel speeds vary by less than 6 mph, which is very similar to the way a Polaris engages......

The Honda I had was a great machine, and the guy I sold it to still runs it. Some of the reasons I sold it was I wanted a quad with a little more get up and go, as I am built like a linebacker. I also had a lot of problems with the drum brakes, especiallly in the rear. Ground clearnce was kind of an issue, and after I rode my buddies SP 500 H.O., I was quite impressed with the ride. On the other hand after I bought my Polaris I really missed that 4 wheel Engine Braking. I put a Heelclicker on my Polaris this year and the EBS honestly seems much better, maybe it is just a placebo effect, but I feel more confident when ridding it. I really don't even think about when I am riding now. When I was in Colorado this year we were riding down some steep, loose and Rocky stuff and the Polaris braking worked flawlessly even when we were riding 2 up

The funny thing I read in that article was that the guy liked going down in 2 wheel better than in 4 wheel drive. He said that the rear wheels start to break traction (Know that feeling).

Here some more from the article:

One slightly bothersome quirk occurred when we were traversing down a particularly steep, loose slope in 2WD under engine compression in 1st gear. The considerable engine compression was causing the rear wheels to start to break traction. So we kicked in the 4WD to regain control. This had the desired effect. However when control was regained, switching back to 2WD had no effect. 2WD could not be achieved until the bottom of the hill was reached AND all load was removed from the front end. If power was immediately applied, keeping the load on the front drive, 4WD mode was maintained until the load was removed from the front drive. Occasionally you had to stop to achieve 2WD mode. We were told this was a normal occurrence with this system. For myself I choose 2WD for steep downhills and used the front brakes to overcome any loss of traction the rest of the afternoon. (Normal Life on my SP 700)
I like my my Polaris, and with the way the top mfgs. are unleashing these new machines I'd look at all of them and make an educated decision based on features, and how closely they matched my needs for the machine. I was looking at a Vinson earlier this year, and when I heard that the KQ 700 was coming out I was hoping to get one of those, but it is not in the budget this year. Who knows maybe in the next year or so I'll look at the SP 800, a KQ, a BF, or a Grizz....

As I said before competion is good for the consumer.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the insight,
ZMan079

Old 12-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

I used to "bump" my throttle every couple seconds when going down steep hills on my 700 EFI to keep the EBS engaged. it's just a Polaris thing lol.

Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

2005BF750,
I tried that too and it seems to help when you keep fluttering the throttle....
Did you ever try that in snow????

ZMan079

Old 12-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

no, I have never had the fortune of being able to ride in snow. I rode my Kaw in the back yard last weekend in a foot of snow and everytime I let off the throttle the bike came to a stop. too deep lol. I know what you mean about the 2wd EBS though, it used to give me a rise now and then when the back wheels would start sliding and I wasn't expecting it.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

2005BF750,

Wish you guys would quit hogging all of the snow this year, and let some come our way....LOL

Old 12-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

we usually don't get squat here in Cincinnati, this was our biggest snow since 1977. the place I ride most, Haspin Acres, got 23" of snow last weekend. We are supposed to go there for New Year's, but I still can't get my RV (tow vehicle) out of the yard. It's going to in the 50's the next couple days, hopefully that will get-r-done.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Range Rover

2005BF750,

How did you total your 04 SP????

ZMan079

Quick Reply: TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD