Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TraxLox® vs Polaris AWD

When I made the statement below, I guess being the Engineering type I thought that this would be a great feature for an ATV. This would make the ATV more like an SUV (like a Jeep Grand Cherokee's AWD system). For those who just like to throw it in gear and go you use the Automatic selection, for those of us who like to tinker we could use the manual engagement selections. The Auto setting could also be smart enough to handle turning issue that BryceGTX brought up. All of this technology exists it just needs to be implmented on a smaller scale for an ATV. Polaris has a locking diff on the rear axle on a Ranger already. So why not put one in front too.....

I have read the docs on how the Current Hillard system works in ATV, but lets not think narrow mindedly about how things are done now, but think in terms of how they could be......

I'd like to see an Polaris implement an AWD system that gave you an option of Automatic, 4 wheel lock, 4 wheel, and 2 wheel.
[*]The Automatic would work as the True 4 wheel drive works now.[/li][*]The 4 wheel lock would allow you to lock the diff at your own discression.[/li][*]The 4 wheel drive seeting would operate like a typical anti-spin diff works (would give you 4 wheel EBS).[/li][*]2 wheel is self explanatory. [/li]
ZMan079

Old 12-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you say could be done with sensors and a computer but to me that is just more to mess up.I like the notion of less moving parts and less electric is better.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point ZMan079. Probably the utimate 4wd system uses open differentials in front, back and in the transfer case and uses ABS brakes to keep the slipping wheels from spinning. This gets around all the problems of steering, but allows full traction to a single wheel. Would be interesting if this could be done without a significant weight penalty. But then as ftwflh points out, it adds electronics and sensors. The interesting thing I see about the current Polaris system is that it is relatively simple, but very effective.
Have a good day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX