Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tire Chain Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Chain Install

What is the best way to install Tire chains? Any tips or tricks to keep them tight and safe?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

trick i used is to deflate tire a little, crank them on as tight as possible. then inflate tire.

i used it zip-tie on the loose, left-over chain so it didn't flop around and cause damage.

also, watch the clearance on the front tires and the tie rod and strut. be damn sure it doesn't come close to hitting.

-MT

Old 12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

more thoughts...

after you install them, run them up and down your driveway and check the tightness. i found that my chains would loosen-up. very irritating.

also, mine seemed to shift-around on the tire a lot. not good when the fronts did that. started to hit in the inside and do damage.

also, in 67 miles of intense plowing, my chains started wearing-out. the links wore thin and the bands broke. i plowed black-top driveways only. tire spin was the norm. very heavy snowfall that year.

the best thing i ever did for my ATV was to throw them in the trash.

i hope you have better luck with yours.

-MT

Old 12-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I just strap them on real tight, and check them very often. You don't want a chain wrapped around the axle. For the extra links, if you have the chains that strap on with the little lever, put the lever thru the last link of the excess chain. That'll keep it from flapping.

MTPockets is right about the wear on the atv though. I have rear chains only, and i tried plowing my lake today. Worked much better than i had imagined, and the neighbor was helping. He doesnt have chains. I could push a lot more snow than him (even though he had a 700) but whenever i slowed down and tried to let the chains dig in i could smell the belt cooking. But the increase in traction on the ice was amazing.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

here is the the most important part. get some bungee cords and form a triangle from the edge of the chains on both side of the wheels. this will keep the chains wrapped around the tire. it pulls the chain sides towards the center of the wheels on both sides. keeps it firmly wrapped around the tire keeping it centered at all times. make sure to put on both sides of each wheel.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Are the springs or bungees necessary if they are really tight? I can't even get my finger between the chains and the sidewall, so i dont think mine are going anywhere. Unless they come undone, then the bungees would keep them from getting wrapped up i guess. I had the chains come off of my garden tractor once because they were too loose, getting them off of the axle was a nightmare.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

the tension of the bungee cords keeps the chains centered on the tire. it also makes the chain stay in the tread where it can't slip around. you don't have to use them but my friend showed me after i ran chains without them. the chains worked much better and never shifted.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well, they are good as insurance i guess. If i was going on a long ride or planned on going pretty fast with the chains on i'd put on some bungees.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

you never go fast with tire chains. they are for slow going. you try to ride the same way with chains as without and you will learn very quickly. good luck hope you have lots of cash if you go fast with tire chains.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

I understand that, i just meant when you arent completely crawling, like when I go to the neighbor's I go faster than i do when i'm plowing, but i'd never go normal speed with them on.

Quick Reply: Tire Chain Install