Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Text
If you had been reading..... I am talking about going DOWN hills. The Polaris's are great at going up hills not at going DOWN. THe 4WD system that is so good for going up is a handicap for going down. UNDERSTAND???

He is right. I find myself climbing alot of huge hills just to find myself stuck, because my crappy Polaris cant surely make it down those same hills. Thats when I call for that Schnook helicopter to come get me.

Please Wolverine...go bark up a different tree.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bigbadscrambler ---- i'm pretty sure you don't have to be stopped to put it in diff lock on the brute

Old 01-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello WolverineMan15666
Try going down some steep rocky hills on your Polaris Ohhhhh! I can feel the rear wheels sliding around to the front now!
This statement does make any sense. If the rear wheels are braking, the rear end will never come around to the front on a down hill. Quite the contrary, it keeps the rear end from coming around. You will only swap ends when you apply too much front wheel braking or you improperly countersteer away from the slid.
I hope this clear it up for others. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 01-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

i just rode a buddies sp 500HO, and i dont like the polaris's ebs system either, i felt the rear wheels locking up going down the hill and started to slip sideways, had to gas it a little to get rid of ebs and straighten up, that was how it went all the way down the hill. And whats up with the awd system not engaging in reverse until the override switch is engaged? I do see the advantages of the awd system kicking in whenever its needed but i still like being able to engage 4x4 myself. My Artic Cat 650 has 2x4, 4x4 with limited slip front and i can lock the front diff on demand. I was watching my bro do a hill climb on our 400 as well, and i saw the front diff do its magic, when one front wheel slipped the other engaged and hauled him up the hill. that limited slip does wonders for handling too, try steering when all four wheels are engaged.

Old 01-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: frndinalowplace
And whats up with the awd system not engaging in reverse until the override switch is engaged?

that would be a safety feature, thats why there is an override button.

when I had my 500HO, never had a problem goin down steep hills, just tap the gas a little goin down to keep the rear wheels spinning....or here is an idea, use the brakes(thats why they'r there) hell, i always used the brakes goin down steep hills on my 500ho, the wonders of a one lever brake system...

always gotta love those blind brandloyal people who talk outta there a$$ and have no idea what they just said...

Old 01-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

the whole point of an ebs is to not run the risk of locking up your wheels by using the brakes. And i wasnt complaining about there being an override button, my quad has it too, but the point that 4x4 only engages when it is pressed, in some situations that isnt always a benefit to have. I knew it wouldnt be long before the brand loyalty discrimination sets in. Before i purchased my quad i spent quite a few months looking into all the brands, and i rode that 500HO with an open mind in order to compare the two side by side and it only reinforced my decision, i never said you polaris guys made a wrong decision in buying your quads, you bought what you needed and same with me.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

WHY DONT they put IFS on the BF. It would be an awsome quad if they did.
I don't know if you were refering to just the BF 650 or both, but the BF 750 DOES have IRS where as the BF 650 keeps it more affordable with the SRA.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Hello frndinalowplace
the whole point of an ebs is to not run the risk of locking up your wheels by using the brakes
I thought the reason for EBS is so the engine does the braking, so you don't have to use the brakes. Its the 4wd system that helps to keep the wheels from locking up. Virtually all your braking comes from the front wheels when going down a hill. So I think I have to agree with Tekky when he said that prior to going slipping and sliding down a hill with rear wheels slipping, you should have used your brakes. I have only rear wheel drive with no EBS, and I use my brakes exclusively to slow my descent down steep hills. I don't feel uncomfortable going down steep hills just because I have no EBS or 4wd. Although, I can create the same situation by using only my rear brake on a steep hill, common sense tells me not to. A worse problem that can happen going down a hill is your front tires lock up and you lose the ability to steer. However, this is less likely to happen with 4wd because the rear wheels will attempt the drive the front wheels through the 4wd system.
I hope this helps the discussion.
BryceGTX

Old 01-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

The first IRS was on a Suzuki King Quad sometime in the 1980's. Polaris didn't invent that. Polaris use to only make snowmobiles. Did they copy the JAP companies when they started making quads? Why did Polaris make a manual shift sport quad like the predator? To copy the JAP companies? Why did Polaris quit making 2 stroke utility quads? Did they copy the Jap companies 4 stroke idea? Let's face it, all quad companies try to improve or copy another companies product. They all do it in one way or another. I think the 4WD system on the JAP ATVs are better than the Polaris system. That's just my opinion. You don't have to agree. I like engine braking on all four wheels. Maybe you don't need it but I like it. I don't care for the single lever brakes either. Just my opinion. I ride with buddies who drive Polaris. I feel that Polaris has the most comfortable ride of any ATV. Polaris does a good job of improving their designs when they find a problem. The JAP companies wait too long to fix a problem. That's my opinion too. to each his own.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

i believe that the kingquad from the 80's was single a-arm IRS with very little suspension travel...polaris was the first to introduce the double A-arm IRS on a production atv

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750