Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

I would say it is the automatic (centrifugal clutch) / tranny idea, the long travel IRS (and IFS), and floor boards that other companies have been recently copying / utilizing. I agree that Suzuki had some sort of implementation of IRS back in the day, but it was severely limited in travel. I think the one thing that the other manufactures have finally caught on to that Polaris has had right for a LONG time is making a full size utility quad. For a long time Polaris was the only one to make a utility quad that actually is comfortable for people who are tall. I think the first year Grizzly was the very beginning of some of the competition beginning to full size their machines, although I think it's still a bit smaller than the Polaris.

The one thing that does strike me funny is how berated Polaris was for using the CVT tranny and now almost all utility quads offer that (or a form of). Back then everybody would bash Polaris hard and now its more of the norm. Even more funny was I was one of those idiots who thought it was a dumb idea until I drove one.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Range Rover

While a lot of my quad has let me down from time to time the workings of the 4x4 system never has. I do agree that going DOWN loose surfaced hills can be a bit scary when the rear wheels lock up and you start to slide. Reminds me of driving the old rear-wheel only anti-lock brakes on cars! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Just a question , please dont bite my head off. If the Jap quads were assembled in the USA would that make them American quads?Take a look at the parts on your wheelers , where are they from? Taiwan, Japan.Polaris Made in USA = assembled in USA. Does that mean a Jap cant turn a wrench as good as American? I know there are quality control issues with every assembly line in every Quad factory.Again just my observation , hope I dont draw too much flack for this.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM

My use of the term "Jap" was as a simple and direct way that everybody would easily understand to differentiate - 'Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki' - machines which are all from companies of Japnese origion which all share/shared very similar design concepts......... from Polaris which is/was implimenting very different design concepts and is a company not of Japanese origion. I was talking about design concepts and it had nothing do with where any of the machine were actually manufactured.

Simple as that.........no "ethnic bashing" or anything either..........just the obvious way to differentiate.........and......... I don't CARE if it's not P.C........(in fact I LOVE non-P.C. things!!!) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Bob

Old 01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

hey just curious isnt polaris the only quad to be built with steel skidplates just a ? what do you guys think about the k&n filter for the 700 sportsman

Old 01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

1st of to someone at the beginning of this thread. The BF 750 has IRS and the BF650 is the one that has the solid axle. 2nd to all those that say you can engage the BF posi front while moving your crazy. You have to be stopped unless you want to tear something up. 3rd besides wanting the front tires on a polaris to help hold you back why else should you need 4x4 going down hill. I live here in WV and never had a problem on downhills. That's what brakes are for DUH!!!! I've rode polaris since 2000 and honda before that. Never had a problem with either. The black diamonds at Hatfield and McCoy aren't crap neither. I ride much worse hills on our everyday trails here in WV. You can also leave the 4x4 engaged on blacktop with the polaris. Yes it cuts the turning radius down some but still turns fine. Polaris is the only atv that has a true 4x4 all the time with out having to push or pull some special button.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBaller
Wow thats a tuffy. I think the BF is better off road due to its true 4x4 and not an AWD. But speed it can go either way.
I own an sp800 and it has true 4 wheel ...the brute force has 3x1 as where it will let one tire slip and the other 3 turn....The sp800 turns all 4 wheels no matter what......I know cause my buddy has BF750 and can't go where I go...we are always winching him out

Old 01-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: thewayout420
who needs 4x4 for going down a hill?i know if i had a 4x4 i wouldnt engage it untill i absoulty needed it..
I second that....

Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WolverineMan15666
I like engine braking on all 4 wheels when crawling down steep, muddy, rocky or snow covered hills. Try going down some steep rocky hills on your Polaris Ohhhhh! I can feel the rear wheels sliding around to the front now!
Guess he never heard of 4 wheel brakes eh!

Old 01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragorus
Originally posted by: WolverineMan15666
I like engine braking on all 4 wheels when crawling down steep, muddy, rocky or snow covered hills. Try going down some steep rocky hills on your Polaris Ohhhhh! I can feel the rear wheels sliding around to the front now!
Guess he never heard of 4 wheel brakes eh!
Only problem with the 4-wheel brakes is that I've found that occasionally on very steep hills that the quad starts to feel like it wants to go and roll forwards. The front brakes already grab more then the rears (just by simple physics- same as in your car) and then when you add in the hill which puts even more of the weight on the front.... The Polaris 4x4 and braking system DOES work it's just a bit scarier then on some other models.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750