Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Hello OffRder15
If you hit the parking brake on your car while going down the road the rear end would spin out and you would lose control, wouldn't it? (Do to only the rear brakes being applied.)
I believe this only happens if you simultaneously hit the rear brakes and cut the wheel. That throws you into a slide. However, the slide can be corrected for by turning into the slide. It is not the rear braking that swaps ends, it is the braking with a turning of the front wheels. Or the rear wheel braking on a turn or on a side hill. It is the improper correction of the slide that causes the ends to swap.

I am curious about another question. Has anyone removed the over-running clutch on the engine drive clutch to disable the EBS? This would solve the rear wheel braking for those not comfortable with it.

I never thought about removing anything, I just use the brakes if it is that steep.......polaris does have front brakes everybody, you just have to pull that little lever that is labeled brakes in your owners manual (for those of you that are having trouble).

Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

LOL zorro700. Excellent point. However, I think the people who experience this problem are going a bit faster. Instead of going slowly down the hill, they go faster, then they let up off the throttle, this locks the rear wheels and they get into trouble. If they are going to put themselves in this situation, they should know how to handle it properly. They have one of three choices, provide a little gas and hit the brakes, steer through the slide or hit the brakes prior to getting in trouble. Clearly, by going slow and using the brake, there should be no problem. For those that like to go faster and not have the rear wheels lock up on corners or down hills, seems that removing the EBS would solve their problem. However, then they will then use the brakes to slow themselves.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

2x4 atv's have been doing it for years with only rear wheel engine braking. What, did everyone forget how to drive.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GE4x4
2x4 atv's have been doing it for years with only rear wheel engine braking. What, did everyone forget how to drive.
that and its another way to bash polaris...

the whole advantage of 4 wheel engine braking isnt all that great, and yes, i have driven one. i put 5200 miles on my kodiak, and i went down some VERY steep inclines i do these same hills with my scrambler, and i use that nifty lil item that most of u seem to have forgotten...the BRAKES. they work just as good as engine braking. as for wearing out brakes faster without engine braking, i havent replaced the front pads on my scrambler yet (the rears are just junk) and i have 1400-1500 miles on itm whereas my kodiak, i had to replace them at around 1k miles. as for the sportsmans that do have that brakin, no one has ever had a rollover or accident, or even complained about it. the only screw ups on hills we have is where a p650 went over sideways (28in mudlites and a lift kit, stock rims no offset), and a honda 450es went over backwards from going up the hill and hit a 1/2 saplin and it just climbed the saplin and went over backwards. the polarises havent rolled over yet, and neither did my kodiak.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

YUP, thats it for me, no more jap quad/bikes for me!!!!!! or cars!!!!! i was waching the news last night and it sed "Ford,GM,dodge, only make up 56% of the car/truck sales in the usa"!
Thats bad! we need to step up or step out cuz if we keep going all were gunna be driving is FRIGEN RICE burners!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick and tired of hearing that suzuki has a plant in califonia and kawasaki has plants and honda and yamaha !!! well who gives a **** the money still goes to the little rice eaters over in japan!!!!

Old 01-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: GE4x4
2x4 atv's have been doing it for years with only rear wheel engine braking.
Can't argue with that logic....

Old 01-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 4wheelerfred
YUP, thats it for me, no more jap quad/bikes for me!!!!!! or cars!!!!! i was waching the news last night and it sed "Ford,GM,dodge, only make up 56% of the car/truck sales in the usa"!
Thats bad! we need to step up or step out cuz if we keep going all were gunna be driving is FRIGEN RICE burners!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick and tired of hearing that suzuki has a plant in califonia and kawasaki has plants and honda and yamaha !!! well who gives a **** the money still goes to the little rice eaters over in japan!!!!
I heard a snippet on the news the other night that Toyota is in posistion to overtake Chrysler in the 3rd spot of the "Big Three"....amazing and a little sad really. Not that I'm all that thrilled about the German's either though....

Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I am sure the thousands apon thousands of american workers that work in those plants just might give ****. Besides the only forign cars I have ever owned were chevy's and fords. A Suburban built in mexico several chevy and ford pickups built in canada. As far as cars go if you want to make sure it was built here make sure the first digit of the serial number is a 1 because a 2 means canadian and a 3 means mexico, just FYI.

Not to ruin your day or anything but the wheels on your polaris were likley built by kawasaki's wheel plant in Lincon Nebraska. Almost all OEM wheels for evey MFG including polaris are built there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hello cc1999. I think you are missing everyones' points. The engineering, upper management, profits etc are all in Japan. It is definitely to our advantage to buy American even if many parts are made elsewhere because we will be employing more management,marketing and engineering jobs and the profits go to US corporations. Presumably, if everyone bought American, then all those people working in the foreign owned plants would be working in American owned plants.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

My point is all the while our own company's are building plants in mexico and canada, all the foriegn company's are building plants here in the good ole USA helping employ more than just the upper class managment but the middle class plant workers and american management teams. It seems to me all this talk of needing to be loyal to the american corporations is kinda BS since those same corporations are showing there loyalty to the american working man by shipping his and her jobs out of the country. I took a tour of the lincon Nebraska, kawasaki plant last year and everyone I met there was just as american as you and me, and I would hate see any of those folks out of a job because everyone is worried about were a small % of the profit of a good quality product is going.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800 vs. Brute Force 750