Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700

I've had this problem several times in the past, and just having it again. The 1st time I had it, it lasted a while,maybe a month. I think it was last winter too. I too thought it was that switch, but it went away, and everything worked good. Except, from time to time, I would get the "E", except in Neutral. Usually switching the key on and off fixed it. Some times I even get no letter, just a blank spot on the left of the screen.
The "E"'s been there about 2 weeks now, and my 4 wheel drive's been acting up too. Made it tough when I was plowing, it would engage and disengage. I thought it might be the front hub fluid, so I changed that, but no luck. Let me know what the problem is when you get it back. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Range Rover

I'll let you all know what my dealer finds...and replaces...

I've got to image it's either the timing gears that connect the gear shifter lever to the gear posistion switch or it's the "speedometer-computer-whatchamacallit thingy" in the headlight pod. I'm thinking that either issue will be pricey! I should've taken the gear selector switch off the transmission and manually moved it to see if the correct gear posistion came up on the display- that would've told me if the problem was within the transmission or not. Too late now- it's at the repair shop... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here is what i told my dealer. when shifting to rev, "E" appears on the display.

here is what he said. it's a simple fix. it needs a new shift indicator switch. $55.00 and simple to install. all you need is a flat head skrew driver and 3 1/2 min of your time.

i hope this helps.

-MT

Old 01-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mtpockets
here is what i told my dealer. when shifting to rev, "E" appears on the display.

here is what he said. it's a simple fix. it needs a new shift indicator switch. $55.00 and simple to install. all you need is a flat head skrew driver and 3 1/2 min of your time.

i hope this helps.

-MT
That's the part I already replaced. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] It was a very easy part to replace though. Took about 5 minutes.

As a side note, while I was at the dealer today I saw one of the new Military 700's! It was HUUUGE and kinda "f-ugly" if you get my drfit. Sticker on it was $9200. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

$9200??????

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: mtpockets
$9200??????

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Ouch is right! Absolutly insane...but I guess it's kinda like the new Dodge Ram with the Power Wagon package- it comes with a lot of stuff you won't need to buy to "upgrade" it later on. It really was an ugly beast though- IMHO of course.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Range Rover

$9200 doesn't sound bad. I think my 700 was $10,500 CND. Prices must be cheap in the states. What does a 700 sell for over there? I know alot of Americans come to my dealer to buy their ATV's. Well, when ur dollar was better, likely not as many now that our dollar is getting better, which is worse for us.

About taking the gear selector switch off the transmission, i did that and it still said the same thing.

Old 01-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

I would get the "E", except in Neutral
Ok, now I get an E in every postion, maybe this could just be the switch? Wonder if I swap switches with my buddies, see if that is the problem. Let ya know.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: PatsPolarisPage
I would get the "E", except in Neutral
Ok, now I get an E in every postion, maybe this could just be the switch? Wonder if I swap switches with my buddies, see if that is the problem. Let ya know.
Good luck! Hope it's just the switch....cheap and easy to fix. Mine is still "in the pile" of dead Polaris's up at the dealer...

Old 01-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

I swapped switches and everything worked again. What a relief. So I took my switch apart, took a little prying, and there was alot of moisture in there. So I took the hair dryer to it and cleaned it up a bit with a rag. I plugged it in and most of them worked, "H", "L", and "P" worked, but still got an "E" in Neutral and Reverse. I'll have to clean it better and seal it back up.
I figured the water got in around the O-rings. What type of grease is good to put on O-rings???

Jack3689, I hope ur fix is just the switch.

Quick Reply: "E" on LCD for Gear Selection Indicator...2002 SP 700