Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive Fluids...interesting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Fluids...interesting

i think it takes 5oz front drive fluid in rear (80wt.), 13.5oz agl in trans, and 5oz demand drive fluid in front

Old 01-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I talked to the dealer, he said to fill to the bottom of the holes, no matter what the manual says. Here is what my new 2005 Sportsman 700/800 EFI manual says:

"Fill with the recommended fluid amount (5 oz.) or to the bottom of the fill plug hole threads". Thats for the front, for the rear it says:

"Fill with the recommended fluid amount or fill to the bottom of the fill plug hole threads".

and on the transmission it says:

"Add 15 oz. of Polaris AGL Gearcase Lubricant or fill to the top of the fill plug hole threads".

I asked the dealer about this when I was there, he said fill to the threads, that 5 oz. will work, but fill to the bottom of the threads.

I've always filled to the bottom of the threads on my other two Polaris's and never had a problem.

dave

Old 01-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: elkbow
I talked to the dealer, he said to fill to the bottom of the holes, no matter what the manual says. Here is what my new 2005 Sportsman 700/800 EFI manual says:

"Fill with the recommended fluid amount (5 oz.) or to the bottom of the fill plug hole threads". Thats for the front, for the rear it says:

"Fill with the recommended fluid amount or fill to the bottom of the fill plug hole threads".

and on the transmission it says:

"Add 15 oz. of Polaris AGL Gearcase Lubricant or fill to the top of the fill plug hole threads".

I asked the dealer about this when I was there, he said fill to the threads, that 5 oz. will work, but fill to the bottom of the threads.

I've always filled to the bottom of the threads on my other two Polaris's and never had a problem.

dave

I wonder why Polaris issued an addendum that states not to fill to the bottom of threads on the rear. Then the dealer says to fill to the threads, I think there is a miscommunication somewhere with the dealers. The only reason that Polaris woud issue an ammended procedure to something is if they were having problems with something.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

I never received that addendum and I have a '05 700 EFI...was it an addendum to the Owners Manual?

Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

The addendum that I received came with my owners manual when I bought the four wheeler. It more or less said to disregard what was in your manual and follow the instructions on the addendum. When I changed out my rearend fluids, I put 5 oz in and it didn't come close to the bottom of the threads. I'm not sure why you didn't get one when you bought yours, but I just didn't want something to happen to yours because you fill it up to the threads.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I went to another dealer in town, talked with the mechanic, he said to run 5 oz. both front and rear....

I'm going to check my owners manual again....I got one of the first '05 700 EFI's to hit the floor, so may not have been in there....

it pisses me off, but then again I see the same thing at work where it says one thing in one manual and two things in the same manual....

thats nothing though, I can handle that....this weekend I looked at a friends grandfathers 2001 Honda Foreman 450, it was running like crap....I checked the number on the spark plug to pick one up, then looked to see if it had a fuel filter, then I pulled the air cleaner cover....holy $hit....I've never seen a filter so dirty....

so anyways, I go to honda's website to download the owner's manual....NOT...honda the cheap ba$tards don't have the owner's manuals online, you have to connect to another vendor and pay for them, what a frickin' ripoff....at least on polaris we can get that and parts manuals online....for free....

so anyways, I'm going to get his owners manual from him, his machine is used on a farm, he is 82 years old, I'm sure that because of the clogged air filter, he has been running rich, so a plug is in order along with the new filter....so I'll change all his fluids for him also....the guy lets me hunt geese and stuff on his land, so at least I can do is get his machine running good again....this thing may only be a few years old, looks like its about 15 years old...you know how them ranchers are....rough on their equipment...
dave

Old 01-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

scotia, i'll have to double check my service manual at the shop in the morning on rear gearcase oil, yes it is 80-90wt gear oil. as for the front demand fluid. 5 oz. no more no less. we have experienced awd problems with too much fluid being added. it creates more drag in the roller clutch housing and can cause the awd to engage in 2wd mode or hard to come out of awd. the main gearcase AGL is 13.5 oz, it will usually come out of the fill plug hole around 13 - 14 oz. depending on how long you drained the case and how level the floor is. LOL!!
i'll try to repost tuesday on rear capacity. i know it has been a pain, and just when we got used to one thing we find out another.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jeffro206
scotia, i'll have to double check my service manual at the shop in the morning on rear gearcase oil, yes it is 80-90wt gear oil. as for the front demand fluid. 5 oz. no more no less. we have experienced awd problems with too much fluid being added. it creates more drag in the roller clutch housing and can cause the awd to engage in 2wd mode or hard to come out of awd. the main gearcase AGL is 13.5 oz, it will usually come out of the fill plug hole around 13 - 14 oz. depending on how long you drained the case and how level the floor is. LOL!!
i'll try to repost tuesday on rear capacity. i know it has been a pain, and just when we got used to one thing we find out another.
I believe the correct amounts is supposed to be 5 oz. in both front and rear gearcases....interesting that they transmission only holds about 13.5 oz on a change, I imagine if you leave it drain for awhile it will take close to the 15 oz that is recommended. This may the reason they have the wrong data in their manuals, both owners and service. If you follow the same logic as the transmission, where it will take close to the 15 oz of fluid on a change, then that means that you fill to the bottom of the threads on the fill plug hole....so maybe they used this logic on the front and rear, which won't be the case....

Old 01-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

elkbow, yea you're right. double checked this morning. it's 5 in front and rear, 15 in center. checked both of my manuals, service and owners, they both have the same info.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

still trying to figure what it would matter in the rear if you filled to the hole, it has a breather on it so you're not building pressure....

anyways, I'm working on a guys Honda 450 Foreman....its a 2001. He is 83 years old and he was going to take it to the dealer because it doesn't run very well. Says he has to go quite aways with the choke on to get it to run okay, said he never had to run that far before. I tell him not to take it to the dealer, that I would work on it for him.

So, I look at the plug....black. Then I pulled the air filter cover....Holy $hit....I've never seen a filter so dirty in my entire life. Its a washable outer filter that Honda uses from the factory, they are over-oiled or the dealer over oiled it last time he had it in. He is a rancher/farmer and they fix stuff when it breaks, so don't know the last time he had it in. So anyways, I clean the filter and also bought him a Emgo outer filter for future use. I gap the new plug I picked up to .35, guessing since I didn't have his manual....guessed right on though as I now have the manual from him. calls for .3-.4.....

Start it up, runs like new again. Looks like its 20 years old though, even though he picked it up new in early 2002, so he only had it 3 years. So this weekend I'm going to wash it, lube it and change all the fluids.

So...where I was getting here.....The owners manual calls for 6.5 oz of fluid in the front and 3 oz. in the rear, hypoid gear oil.....but it also says in the manual to fill it to the bottom of the threads....lol....now i'm going to see if it takes more than 3 oz. in the rear if i fill it to the threads....why don't they just say fill it to the threads and only put quantity in the spec sheet of the service manual....

oh well...

dave

Quick Reply: Drive Fluids...interesting