Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Drive Fluids...interesting

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Fluids...interesting

Yes they all had breathers which were extended to the top of our snorkels. With the ammount of time we spend in the water....NOTHING remains sealed.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

I checked the routing of the breather tonight, runs up the left side, the crankcase breather is T'd in to the same line, it runs up along the frame and goes up under the headlight pod and then is tucked down on the other side....

My fluid is dirty. I changed the guys Honda front and rear differential today, fluid was clean, not dark....My last change to get back down to the recommended 5 oz only had 45 miles on it, still dirty. Here in New Mexico we have alot of dust/dirt, my whole machine has it all over everywhere, even in the headlight pod....I am thinking about taking an oiled foam filter, like my Uni-Air filter that I don't use and use some of the foam to put over the end of the breather lines, with oil on them.

It may be normal though on the Polaris rear differential to come out dirty....so can't say its abnormal....want to know what others fluids look like on the rear diff. when they drain it?

dave

Old 01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

I also run in dusty conditions too and I run Amsoil 75-90 severe gear in mine. I had to reseal my plug on the rear end because it was leaking and it had about 200 miles on the change and I looked at the fluid and it looked just like new. I now have about 350 miles on it since I changed to Amsoil, so we'll see what it looks like and I will post what I find.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: sdbowhunter
I also run in dusty conditions too and I run Amsoil 75-90 severe gear in mine. I had to reseal my plug on the rear end because it was leaking and it had about 200 miles on the change and I looked at the fluid and it looked just like new. I now have about 350 miles on it since I changed to Amsoil, so we'll see what it looks like and I will post what I find.
mine definitely doesn't look like new, which i would think it would for the rear end, but ya never know...

anyone else change their rear-end diff fluid, what did it look like?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

update:

so anyways, decided to put in new fluid to the 5 oz level....I jacked up the front end and ran it in high gear for a few minutes, not warp speed, just getting the fluids to turn....then I drained it.....my fluid is dirty because its flushing out the old crap, but it looks like glitter, alot of really minute metal particles.....

I was going to take a picture, alot if probably left over from before, but now I'm at the point of flushing completely....I going to keep running fluid through it until I can get it cleaned out and then refill and see how it does, checking along the way.....

I'll talk with the dealers mechanics tomorrow if I get a break from work.....what I need someone to do is change the fluid on the rearend differential of their 2005 machine and tell me how it looks....

I'm wondering if its normal, the recommended fluid is 'ATV Angle Drive Fluid', PN 2871653 for the 8 oz bottle. Like I said before, the bottle is listed as 'ATV Front Drive Fluid', but according to the dealer, its the same part number and the same recommended stuff. Also, the fluid is described in the Service Manual as "Extreme pressure, anti-wear, high viscosity film lubrication for maximum protection of Polaris ATV gear drive". Well it looks like a regular gear drive fluid, when I look inside with the rear filler cap off, it is clinging to the gears.... Any idea's what to flush with, I believe this stuff is synthetic.....I can keep flushing with the same stuff or use something thinner to clean it out?

dave

Old 02-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

The common mud rider way to flush things be it an engine or diffs is to use diesel. Of course you cant run like this but you can use it to flush with. I personally just use the oil it recomends. It may take a while. When your diffs are swamped (looks like chocolate milk), they can take 4-5 changes to look clear.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TEXMud
The common mud rider way to flush things be it an engine or diffs is to use diesel. Of course you cant run like this but you can use it to flush with. I personally just use the oil it recomends. It may take a while. When your diffs are swamped (looks like chocolate milk), they can take 4-5 changes to look clear.
I think thats what I'll do, keep using the recommended fluid, run up and down the street to get it warm and keep swapping....I don't think there is anything wrong? Well, I changed the Honda's fluid last weekend that hasn't been changed in quite awhile and it looked clear, almost new....I don't want to get stranded...it doesn't appear to run funny or drag or noise or anything like that....just seems damn dirty with metal particles in it....but maybe because its new and need to flush it out...dunno

Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Went to another dealer today, talked with both mechanics and the manager....

he said that there is a coating on the metal parts inside the differential....the silver looking stuff in my oil is that coating, he asked if I could feel anything or if it was just silver looking....I told him there were no metal, just silver looking...he said it was the coating coming off the inside of the differential, not a problem....I told him I was going to keep flushing it, didn't like anything in there...he said not a problem...

Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Are service manuals expensive, seems like all the fluid levels would be in there wouldn't they? I need to get a service manual so incase I have a problem or repair I have all the info at the tips of my fingers.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
Are service manuals expensive, seems like all the fluid levels would be in there wouldn't they? I need to get a service manual so incase I have a problem or repair I have all the info at the tips of my fingers.
Service Manuals are generally around $40, I picked mine up for the 2005 700/800 EFI on ebay for around $32. The levels are listed in the Service Manual, but are messed up on the 2005's just like the owners manual, stating to fill to the recommended amount of 5 oz or to the bottom of the fill hole...which is wrong on the rear diff., it should be 5 oz....

Quick Reply: Drive Fluids...interesting