Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sway Bar Disconnect - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Disconnect - Pics

Chris,
I had it perfectly level when I was trying to put it back on.

there is no doubt that the suspension will allow one side to keep on the ground, my feeling was that it would lean in more to that side when on an off-angle situation....I got the feeling that it would actually tilt more to one side, rather than the tire getting traction. I know it should allow that tire to dip into a hole and the other compress more than it would with it connected....

I'll play with it more....I did have some dirt on there, not mud, just dirty.....I did try it both ways, with the lower on, connected (pin through) then tried it with it just over the bolt, then did the top with the pin in and without it in....tough to do....too much angle on the top when trying to put it on....I can get the top on and the slide the bottom over the bolt, but can't push it down to put the pin in....

dave

Old 01-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

I know just what you are talking about with the leaning, you will get use to it ... other than feel on steep sideways hills, i still like it disonnected.

it maybe the weight difference between a 700 and 500 as to why the sway bar links aren't lining up, i've found since i added a rear bumper and gas/cooler rack that i can't get the link back on when out on the trail without using an tree stump or tree (using my rear winch) to lift the rear up alittle. Could you have assembled the rubber bushing backward? They are really (on a 2004.5 at lease) one way, if it's on backward it would put the lower bolt on an off angle.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
Thanks for the test info Dave.
Jeff,
Let me know what you think. I think there advantages to the sway bar disconnected. I plan on doing some more testing. Today I was out trying to find some quail, so I was concentrating on that. I went out over 25 miles from the truck, but 15 miles was on a road. You can actually go fairly fast with it disconnected, the corners are alittle squirrely though. I did find something out with playing with the spring tension on the rear. When I was adjusting to test the sway bar disconnect, I left the spring setting two positions up from the softest setting....its seems that has helped with the front end wobble. I was cruising at 60 mph at one point with no wobble. The front end is light, but no wobble...at least side to side. I find with any of these big tires, that the front end feels light.

I'll get out and do some real testing with the sway bar disconnect. The real way to do it is to be able to connect and disconnect quickly, go over the same exact terrain. The reason I say it works better when going slow is that when you hit something hard, the rear end will force the compression on the shock and it feels like it tilts more towards that side than when you have it connected. I'll have to test more....

I noticed something else today on our sandy roads....I wonder at times when it seems like the machine can't accelerate fast, well come to find out, its the road that is softer, I look back and its shooting a roost the whole time....I think the mud/snow tires will do this more, the don't have as many parts hitting the ground at the same time where more hard-pack tires will....interesting. the machine puts out some power, now I know why I threw mud all over those guys last weekend....

dave

Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

here are the pics with the sway bar disconnected.....

rear view disconnected, tire on

side view disconnected, tire off

Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Dave,
I put the pin in the sway bar because on mine that rubber "washer" started to slide a little.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

yeah, mine does it too, I put it in there when the sway bar is off...but I just took it off now because someone asked for a pic of the sway bar disconnected, so I disconnected it....

dave

Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Jeff,
I was just thinking to myself....the rubber washer that moves....actually the whole sway bar moves back and forth, as you can tell when you go to connect it back up and have to push on the opposite side to make sure the bar arm is seated far enough to put the pin through....I think what i'm going to do is make a 'cap'....basically a piece that goes over the upper link with a hole through it to put the pin in so there is no shifting from side to side....I'll design one and then weld it up.....when I get it finished I'll show you the results....I'll make some extra's...i think it would be a good idea....I'll put a plate or washer on the end near the washer.....i'll have to show you the finished result when I get done so you can see what i mean...

dave

Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Nice Dave! keep up the good work, we could use something like that. IMO people would need/buy that.

Like the BASF commercial goes... We didn't invent it, we just make it better.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

cool

Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

I just purchased the sway bar disconect. I put it on last night. I STILL CANT GET IT ON AND OFF !!!!!!
Im finding it imposible to get back on. If its this HARD to do I may NEVER want to diconect in the woods!!!

HeLp !?!?!?!?!?!

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Disconnect - Pics