Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HEY, WHAT HAPPENED?, I WAS WINNING AND THEN...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEY, WHAT HAPPENED?, I WAS WINNING AND THEN...

raced today in our regional series, and was doing awesome, in the top three out of 21, when all of a sudden the motor started revving out real high but i wasnt going fast, plenty of low end, but no top end, felt like i got the belt wet, but prob. was i hadnt been through any water, limped back to the scoring booth and thought what the heck i cant go real fast only about 20-30mph, but i would try another lap just for the points. come down off the knarly off-camber hill, and hit the bottom, i felt something give, and now all i get is top end with no bottom end at all, motor just bogs down (but still goes) until it gradually gets up on the pipe and goes like hell.... cant climb the next hill.. im out..
the motor revs fine all the way up so i think it is in the clutches.... the primary seems fine, i pulled the cover and with the bike in neutral when revved the primary sucks up the way it should, so i pull the secondary, and here is where it gets interesting, i dont know anything about how this works, (had a shop install the hotseat kit) the two halves of the secondary can be rotated individually from one another, you can hear the spring inside and it doesnt feel like it is broken, but try to collaspe the drum and it wont go, wiggle the two halves of the drum, you hear a small "click" and then it will allow itself to be collasped...
i wasnt sure about taking the snap ring off of the center of the secondary, not sure if the whole thing is under extreme pressure(like an auto strut) didnt want to lose a finger...
thought about sending it up to ritter to have him tell me what up, just not sure you can tell by looking at it...

please help, any suggestions? only got 6 weeks until i was suppose to go ride the dunes in o.k. for the first time in my life(never rode sand) and i dont want to miss it.....

thanks everone

james

Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Counds like the ramp buttons in the secondary broke. The secondary is easy to take apart but a little tricky to put it back together. It needs to be wound correctly and spring position is important also. Get your self some heavy duty buttons or better yet get a roller secondary and you wont have to worry about it again. It will also give you a quicker shiftout. It sounds exactly like you broke the buttons. Easy fix!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

where can i get a roller secondary, and how much, will it do away with my hot seat helix and such? im sorry, i dont really understand back shifting and up shifting and such, i guess its 'cause nobody has ever explained it to me...

dont give up on me yet "too many" just alittle more help please..

thanks
james

Old 01-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I ran the AAEN roller secondary and I liked it alot. I paid less than 200 for it. Yes it will do away with the hotseat setup. HPD and I think hotseat also have roller secondary clutches. What it does is elominates the ramp buttons and uses a bearing type setup. The rollars ride the helix and there is no friction so you will get better power to the ground.It is well worth the money expecially if you race. Also another big thing that can help you is lighten the flywheel. RPM's build very quick if the flywheel is lightened. What pipe do you have?

Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Range Rover

got a great deal a few years back from a local quad shop on the hot seat power kit (pipe filter and clutching), works well i guess, the quad is a blast to ride and very competitive in the woods, just lacks the top end speed to stay in front of the raptors, and z-400s in the clear....
this roller secondary, is it replacing the whole secondary unit or will i have to assem. it like you said with dealing with changing the buttons?

Old 01-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Range Rover

just went out in the shop and took another look of the secondary on the bench, and it is locked in the full compressed position(belt riding on the outermost portion of the pulley, it will not release and allow the belt to descend further down the towards the center of the hub... just by shaking it you can hear something lose inside the hub(thats never good, is it?). since i have gone with hot seat on the rest should i try to find a hot seat roller secondary or does it not matter?

i need help guys, and some of your sympathy, for the 2nd moto today to try to keep my points up, i had to race a bone stock warrior, what a brick wagon, Chris Farley comes to mind singing "Big Guy In A Little Coat" only it wasnt a coat, it was a quad.... shifting sucks, i was 4 minutes a lap slower on the yamaha than on the trailblazer, and after only 2 miles it beat the ever living crap out of me, are you sure they're not a rigid? i see the coil overs, but i think they are just for show, to me they suck by comparison to the way the blazer soaks up the bumps, i gotta tell ya one think though on the tough hill climbs it was kinda cool to just lug it in second gear all the way to the top, a 4-stroke got alot of lowend, my power delivery is just so violent when it hits, point, shoot and(god help ya), Hold on.. the 4-stroke was real smooth....
also learned that i am not a cooridinated (s.p.?) man, i can ride good (top 3 overall) on the blazer, but just throw in a gear lever and a simple little thing like an isolated front break, and it really screws my up, hats off the polaris for making me look good.. the funny thing is all the guys riding the z's and the yfz 450's look at my quad (as heavy as it is, combined breaking and the automatic)and say(you are frickin crazy trying to ride that tractor through the woods at break neck speed....they think im a god (or maybe just have a deathwish) when at the end of the day, i get the trophy ahead of them .....

Old 01-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

HPD does some extra mods to the Team Industries roller secondary. Rather than retro fitting components, it's a purpose built unit. Very durable, and the cat's meow when it comes to PVT performance.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

rick told me that the team basically has to much backshift and not enough upshift on the trailblazer???

Old 01-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Range Rover

im over on aaen right now looking at the secondaries and not sure what degree on the helix i would need, not sure about any of it really, up shift, back shift what does it mean? are these complete units that i can just pull off the old unit( with the hot seat helix) and throw away, and bolt on the new, or am i gonna have to assem and tune the new components?

thanks, you would think since i race i would know all of this

james

Old 01-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

the aaen u have to assemble. but it should be easy, the hotseat i dont know about

Quick Reply: HEY, WHAT HAPPENED?, I WAS WINNING AND THEN...