Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Picking up New '05 Sportsman 400 - what to ask?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up New '05 Sportsman 400 - what to ask?

Hi folks, Glad to be a part of this forum. I hope you can help and I can help in the future.

Here's my question... I purchased my '05 Sportsman 400 (with EBS installed) a week ago and I am picking it up this weekend, therefore, I have a few questions. Generally I have read a few posts about the 400 machine cutting out and there is a recall on the jetting on the older machines, Is it safe to assume that this is fixed on my '05 machine or should I ask about it. Also, is there anything else I should ask? Recalls? Maintenance? (I intend to change oil myself) Lube? What to look for? etc.

Also, I negotiated the purchase of the 400 and was able to have the EBS tossed in as part of the package. Does anyone know if the EBS will rob performance from the 400? The dealer said no.

I purchased the machine because I knew the 400 will work out great for my trail riding, farming, hunting, jacking around intentions, etc. (Plus my neighbor has a '04 AC 400 and I beleive Polaris makes a better, more powerful 400.. do you agree??) With all the 500 HO's out there, I'd like to hear from a few Sportsman 400 owners and their ownership experience. Does anyone regret buying the 400 and wish they would have purchased the 500? And in what situations do you beleive the 500 HO is needed. (I weigh 180 lbs.)

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Trailblazer

Hello,
I Have a 2003 400 sportsman and it will do the same job as the other machines. I dont know if you know but your 400 is actually a 425cc. So what your getting is a 425 with less than 72cc than the 500. But the 500 will out perform the 400 by far on a straight away. if your riding with other polaris's you will find that your machine is no different. Its the exact same size as the bigger cc polaris's. I ride with all 700's and i go threw all the same stuff as they do. Actually i can go threw more muck then the kawaski 650 praire without getting stuck. Tires are big thing though. I have the raw hides goodyear. They make a Huge difference. One thing to look out for ask the dealer if the 2005's are or will they have any problems with the speedo. Many polaris's have problems associated with their 4x4 which are related to the speedo unit. Polaris knows this is a problem but they wont tell you out right. buy a extended warranty if you can afford it. Have it rolled into your financing. If possible. These's machine are strong but when something goes wrong after warranty it will cost you some bucks bigtime. The 400 will perform great i have no quays. Good luck with your new machine i hope your as excited as i was when i picked mine up, it was a good feeling.
2003 400sportsman--------2001 scrambler 90cc--- [The way out]

Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Lon
Trailblazer

The 400 has been an absolute treat for me. It starts easy, great ride, good grunt and mid-range power. I don't drag race or anything crazy like that. I just trail ride with my two sons (15 and 10). I haven't had any problems with it, and it's easy to do routine maintenance. Mud protection could be improved - it might be on the 05. However, I don't think any other brand besides Honda or AC does that good a job in that department. The 05's look great, and I really like the front storage box.

Would I like a bigger quad - sure... I think about it alot when reading this forum. But I don't think about it at all when we're out in the woods riding tight trails or exploring. Not once, even on prior quads like the Recon or Lakota, did I ever notice while trail riding that another quad had more power than mine - not to mention four wheel drive. For that matter, I have just as much fun, if not more, on my son's Trailboss. Your riding experience and style may be completely different though - who knows?

Just my opinion, but I think you'll love the 05 Sp400. It's a great quad - just wait 'til it's sitting in your garage.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the response! Feel free for anyone else to add to my initial post, I'll be checking back for more input. I'm like a kid waiting for Santa to come... can't wait to pick up my new Sportsman 400 on Saturday and play!!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Range Rover

I've had mine for over 2 years, and like Lon said you might read some posts and think you want something bigger. I do, and then get on and go for a ride and wonder why would I need to go faster 0-60? I'll buy a sport quad in a year or two for that. I really am happy with the 400, you'll run out of traction before power!!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Lon
Trailblazer

Farmboy,

I asked the dealer to change the jet before I took it home - he had already done it. As far as the lube - the Polaris manual will tell you to use only the Polaris premium 4 stroke oil - 0W-40. It is definitely different than, let's say, Mobil 1 0W-40 for use in premium automobiles. Do not use automobile oil in your quad due to the friction reducers. Unfortunately, the Polaris oil costs twice as much as the best automitive oil per quart - between $10 and $12 each. Best bet is to work a deal with the dealer - I asked for a flat 10% for all parts. You can run a search through the forum for some other recommendations on oil - there's alot of positive talk about Amsoil. I haven't used it and I don't know how much it is, but you can bet the information is somewhere in this forum.

One thing to keep an eye out for when changing oil... for some reason, it's NOT quite a full two quarts needed - you'll overfill if you use all of the second quart. Ask the dealer about that this weekend. You may want him to give you or sell to you an oil filter wrench too - they're less than $5.

The air filter is very easy to get to under the seat. The dealer will go through that with you at delivery. Like I said - super easy for the routine maintenance items and no knuckle-buster bolt locations, no plastic to remove, etc.

Have fun this weekend - and let us know how you like the EBS add-on.