Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How fast is a Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is a Predator?

don't let Crazy fool you ...his DS is fast, must have been built on a wednesday!!! but his son is faster!!! although i hope there is an understanding that i had a few POWER ROBBING issues the last time we raced...but worry not i will be ready in may [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How do you get along with that 558?? Also, how do you like you hpd pipe??

Old 01-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
How do you get along with that 558?? Also, how do you like you hpd pipe??
Iwish that i would just left the bore stock and kept the 12.5 wiseco in the predator, seems to me that the engine runs hotter with the 558 kit installed and really was not any faster with 558 kit. It was just as fast with the high comp. piston that i got from hpd. you would have to do some major mods to a ds or raptor to keep up with my predator. not trying to start a flame.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, faster I belive that........but it has to be more powerful......or quicker..........I'm also sure it does run hotter, try some inline coolers(ebay) and some engine ice or water wetter.......

Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

that's funny mine seems to run cooler...also did you get your head proted...that's the key for the top end...the 558 it's self has got alot of grunt and the porting takes it out, all the way to the top!!!

Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2 friends with stock Predators and one with a Baja X ds650, on a road it is about even untill 5th gear then the Predators pulled away, otherwise they are about the same, ohh yah, the guy on the ds wieghed about 280 lb.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: OuterLimit
A year ago I bought a YFZ 450 for my son to ride, and a DS 650 for myself, and we have really enjoyed both ATVs. We spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the two ATVs, and recently I have been thinking that for optimal ATV size that the DS 650 is too big, and the YFZ 450 is too small. For the best rider comfort, and best overall performance handling, the PREDATOR 500 looks like it would be right in the middle.

But how fast is the Predator 500? And will it keep up with what we already have? Both the YFZ and DS have the usual airbox mods, rejetting, and an HMF exhaust on them, and right now the DS is consistently 1/2 bike length faster in 300' sand drags. If I replace my DS with a Predator, will it measure up with the same mods done to it?

Thanks.

OuterLimit.
I have also been thinking about getting a Pred (in the future when school is out). They seem to be fairly good quads, though I have never had a chance to throw a leg over one!

I am surprized your DS is faster than the YFZ though. That has never been my experience. Are you talking top speed, or?

Old 01-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

quick and fast are two diff things....the yfz is quicker than a pred but the pred is faster....if you get them out of the hole you pretty much got it unless you make a mistake...don't get me wrogn them yfz's are quick

Old 01-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Outerlimit I have both for tight trails and track the Predator. For open desert and dunes the DS the longer the ride the better the DS fells

Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Bradracer, as of now Opies is not faster than the DS's in the neighborhood. After the re-build we'll try it again. If its faster I'll be the first one to congradulate him and tell him I'm proud to run with him. But so far that hasn't been the case And I know his motor has had some issues. When those are resolved we'll run 'em again. And win or lose I'll still call Dan my friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: How fast is a Predator?