Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How fast is a Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is a Predator?

A year ago I bought a YFZ 450 for my son to ride, and a DS 650 for myself, and we have really enjoyed both ATVs. We spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the two ATVs, and recently I have been thinking that for optimal ATV size that the DS 650 is too big, and the YFZ 450 is too small. For the best rider comfort, and best overall performance handling, the PREDATOR 500 looks like it would be right in the middle.

But how fast is the Predator 500? And will it keep up with what we already have? Both the YFZ and DS have the usual airbox mods, rejetting, and an HMF exhaust on them, and right now the DS is consistently 1/2 bike length faster in 300' sand drags. If I replace my DS with a Predator, will it measure up with the same mods done to it?

Thanks.

OuterLimit.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I would say the Pred runs 73-75 mph. I would say ride one and see what you think. I fell in love with the Preator after riding my buddy's 04.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well the TLD preditor outruns the raptor 660. the TLD preditor is rated as the best valued quad out on the market and has recived a few quad of the year awards for 04. there has been some complaining about 4th gear on that its too long, and that it'll bog down on sand dune whoops, but it has fox airshocks and has one of the best rides out there. it dosnt addapt to an exaust too well though, but its a great quad, if i had money id buy one.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the STOCK shootouts the Predator beats the 250R, Banshee, and Raptor...but not the YFZ 450. But who runs stock? It mostly depends on what you do aftermarket, for how fast you are.

My Raptor (with mods) will beat my Predator (with mods) in a straight drag, but in the dunes I can ride faster on the Predator because it is a better handling quad. And so I end up on my Predator most of the time....it is definitely the most comfortable and best handling quad I have ever ridden. Plenty of power for all the biggest dunes.

The YFZ450 is the quickest thing out there now, but it has problems with the seat, rough front shocks, and too much engine vibration....JMO. The Honda 450R is almost as quick as the YFZ, but it is kick start only (so far). The DS 650 is vastly improved over older versions, but if you are not a BIG GUY the new 650 still feels too big and heavy. I sold my Banshee....too much maintenance and vibration, and shifting to stay in the power band. The Z400 is a great little machine, but falls short on power for my riding.

The good news is we finally have lots of choices, so we can pick the machine that suits each of us. After you do the mods, the biggest difference in these machines will be the Rider!

Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

No ,the pred wont keep up with the DS with same mods. But they're still a very good bike with outstanding performance.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oh yeah it will........the pred is just as fast as the ds.........

I heard omahapredator's pred is faster than the ds's around his our area........I think he's even planning on getting even faster!!!! Look out ds's........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bradracer18
Oh yeah it will........the pred is just as fast as the ds.........

I heard omahapredator's pred is faster than the ds's around his our area........I think he's even planning on getting even faster!!!! Look out ds's........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I agree Brad, I beat a DS on my buddy's 04 before I got my 05. The 04 was stock at the time, and I even had a tread on here about it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

omahapredator----+2

crazypainter-----0

lol.............all in fun........

Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

My predator would do 75 mph when it was stock,and now with some mods it will do 81 mph. 558 kit, hpd pipe, cdi, high flow intake, lighten fly wheel, carb mods, I have a freind with a ds with cdi, pipe and jet kit and have no problem beating on top or acceleration. thers no way i could beat my buddys ds with my predator if it was still stock.

Quick Reply: How fast is a Predator?