Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

will Polaris have something for the 250EX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems like quite a machine for the money light , shaft drive, reverse, good looks. It would be hard for me to buy a Trail boss of Blazer over that. Especially with the shaft drive. Polaris needs to add shaft drive to an under 4 grand machine.

Old 09-15-2000, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I have to diagree. I think the new Honda will be reliable and fun to ride. But, it really does not make any sense. A sport quad with shaft drive, drum brake rear, and slower engine then anything else in its class. And it is also several hundred more then most other machines in its class.
Even most of the Honda guys think this is a bad idea. You can get the Recon, which has the same engine and driveshaft, plus many more features for a few hundred less then the 250EX.

In all honesty, the chain drives on the Polaris machines are just about maintenance free anyway. You have to oil the chain now and then, which takes about 30 seconds. And tighten it up now and then with only takes about 5 minutes.

I personally am happy that Honda made this machine. Now I don't have the 2nd slowest sport quad on the market anymore. Mine is now 3rd slowest.

Old 09-15-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I do not think that the 250EX will be that slow.
First off, it shares nothing with the Recon.
Visit the article on the ATVsence.com website and you will see the differances between quads.
It has the same bore and stroke as the Recon motor but with:
High Compression Piston
Hotter cam
Re-designed valvetrain
And from the pics on the Honda website, a 400EX style exhaust system.
It has a whole new frame, 50 lbs lighter weight, better shocks, aluminum rims, sport tires, and front disk brakes.

Shaft drive is a plus for an entry level machine. No chain adjustments, lube-jobs, replacement or breakage.
Disk brakes in the front are a plus. The drum brakes in the rear are good because the machine is so light, and the parking brake will work better with the drum than the disk(Honda owners know what I am talking about with the parking brake on a rear disk brake machine....crap!)

More suspension travel with a lighter, wider, and longer machine, then when compared too the Recon.

I think this thing is a winner!

Was it designed too out-perform a Raptor? NO....
Was it designed too be a great "first quad" for a novice and beginner? YES.....

Nice job Honda....

I also called my dealer (Honda/Yamaha dealer) and they are only going too be selling 5 Raptors in the first 6-8 months of production.
There are 40 250EX's coming the first 4 months of 250EX production.
Think of all of the parts, service and repeat buisness Honda has just sold with each new EX.

Honda is laughing all the way too the bank on this one.....

Old 09-15-2000, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, yes, money wise this is great for Honda. But what about its customers. Honda is laughing all the way to the bank, but pissing off its already die hard customers in the process.

It is kind of a shot in the face for many Honda loyalist. All the rumors about a big bore performance quad, then they release something completely on the opposite end of the sport lineup.

I do not disagree with you that it will be a good seller, but I personally think Honda could have done better. And even though the price is nice, they should have set it a few hundred less, to better compete with the others in this class.

Old 09-15-2000, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Who did Honda **** off?
A few kids on this board that were hopeing for something that they could not afford anyway....
Look at the Pro's. The GNCC and GNC circuit is dominated by 250r's and 400EX's. They win! And until someone makes a High Performance machine that is capable of beating either one of them. Honda has no reason too sell something better.

Hopefully the Raptor, (new Kawasaki, Suzuki, or Cannondale) can rise too the task of putting a Honda in 2nd place at the track. Only then will you see a new machine from Big Red.....

Old 09-15-2000, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

The Die Hard Honda Loyalist created the rumors of a big bore Raptor killer. They shot themselves in the foot with high expectations. The 250ex will be a fine quad.

Old 09-15-2000, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

It's time too start using our heads here boys.

Honda is #1 in sales because they offer a wide variety of products that range from kids quads, to utility work-horses, and finaly sport machines.
Thier products are known for reliability and craftsmanship.

Polaris Industries is #2 in sales because they offer a wide varity of machines too choose from. They are known for thier user friendly trail machines. But no High Performance machine!!!

Yamaha is 3rd in sales. Also a wide varity too choose from. Even with the Banshee and now the Raptor. Yamaha will still be 3rd in sales.

Why?????
Because the High Performance market is such a small portion of the "big picture". Look at Polaris, not one "true" sport machine and no High Performance machine. But still #2 in sales.

How?
They offer machines too the general public that are easy too use and work well.
95% of atver's are trail-riders, utility workers, farmers, and family folk.
Only 5% are racers and High Performance guys.

Honda is going after the "general public" on this one for sales. They don't want too be overtaken by Polaris Industries in total sales. It's all about money now. Honda is a buisness. In order too remain profitable, you must appeal too the masses.
I introduce too you the 2001 Honda ATV lineup. Like it or not, this is what it is.

Old 09-15-2000, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While some Honda fans and others may be disappointed by their crisis of rising expectations regarding release of a 250ex instead of a 650ex, what action, if any, will these disappointed individuals take? Will they divest themselves of all things Honda, vowing never to darken the door of a Honda dealership again? I doubt it!

My money's on Honda to win the numbers game--better to sell 40 250ex's, or 4 650ex's? Besides possible proportionally higher profit margin on the 250ex's, there's service, accessories, insurance, financing, and warranty sales; multiply these "profit centers" ten times over the number of high-performance quad sales. Building first a broader pyramid base, instead of a taller point, might be a wise move for both Honda and for the ATV industry as a whole. Maybe not; time will tell.

I, too, would like to see produced the Quadrasaurus Rex, the fire-breathing, fuel-injected, turbocharged, large-displacement superquad; however, if any company produces one, that company must first survive; to survive, the company must first show a profit. Honda's made few mistakes, business-wise.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-15-2000, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you cstark. In order for Honda to stay #1 they must appeal to the masses. Honda will only do what's best for the business.

If everyone that thinks they made some kind of mistake with this quad should all start their own company that only makes race quads. Let's see how well they all do.

Old 09-15-2000, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

it is a few hundred more but offers way more than the Blaster, shaft drive for one and no 2 stroke motor, reverse, electric start. to me this is a better thing for Honda than a 650EX, i could care less about a big bore Honda but a shaft drive sporty machine under 4 grand that is cool. It is far better than the Recon all the way around. Actually better than anything in it class, 350 lbs! and it will be faster than the Recon which is quite snappy for its size. Chains are ok if you no how to take care of them but shaft rules by far, I got rid of my Xplorer 250 and love the shaft. If some one is looking for a low priced sporty atv then wow they have got one now for sure, i sometimes wonder why i paid 6500 for my SP.

Quick Reply: will Polaris have something for the 250EX?