Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ridding in the Snow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridding in the Snow!

Just a reminder to those of you ridding in that light fluffy snow, check your air box before you go out again. I have found when out blasting around in that light stuff that seams to be blowing all over sum ends up getting sucked into the air box.

I also have been leaving a 60-watt light bulb on, near my carb and air box. I am in Buffalo NY and we do get snow here (not as much as the news claims)! This helps generate just enough heat to help with start up and melt a way any snow or ice, but not hot enough to melt the ATV!

04.5 700
01 HO
03 Trailblazer

Mark

Old 01-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Any tips on what to do when the whole atv is frozen in ice and snow and you have no heated garage to put it in? I am really worried about breaking something when i get moving again, especially the cv boots.

I tried leaving it overnight in my covered trailer with a space heater on full power, but it wasnt any warmer in the trailer than it was out the next morning.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

tarp and portable electric heater and a very watchful eye!

Old 01-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks zerowick. Maybe i'll try that next time. I think that the trailer thing might work if it wasnt so cold and windy. It was definetly quite a few degrees below zero when i tried it and blowing hard. THe thin walls of the trailer couldnt help but send the heat right outside.

Is it bad to leave the quad caked with snow? My grandfather has a heated garage, so i could drive there every week or so and leave my quad overnite, but a lot of work if I don't need to.

Tyler

Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

A sitting quad caked with snow is in no great danger, but you should try to get as much off as you can after the ride. Your concern over the CV boots is probably the only thing to worry about as far as breaking anything. At subzero temps they will not be very flexible so you should take it easy while the joint warms up and heats up the boot some. I'm sure the machine is designed for winter use so just relax and ride it, that's what you bought it for, right. Keep an eye on those boots if it makes you feel better, I'm a worrier to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, i feel a little better. I try to get as much snow away from those joints as possible, but its tough with the cv boot guards on there. I wasnt worried about the snow sitting on there as i was about riding it after it all frozen on.
Ty

Old 01-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

find a friend who has a heated gaurage [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

Take your quad to the car wash and wash all the snow and slush off the quad, it's better to have a little frozen water on it than a bunch of frozen snow. I do this everytime I go riding in deep snow. Just plowing usually doesn't buildup enough snow on the quad to worry about but cutting trail in the snow sure does. Make sure you get inside the wheels, snow likes to hide in there and in behind the cv guards.

Brambles

Old 01-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

OH yeah avoid the high pressure hose, I use a garden hose.
I actually do mine at work, but a car wash is the next best thing

Brambles

Old 01-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

Watch your fans, I was out busting drifts yesterday morning with no problems. I came in for an hour for lunch and get warmed up, When I went back out my 4 wheeler over heated after a few minutes. The fan had some ice on it keeping it from turning. I broke the fan loose and all was fine for the rest of the afternoon.

I thawed hers out with a forced air kero space heater after but mines still a chunk of snow with a little bit of frozen mud mixed in. :-)

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Ridding in the Snow!