Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brambles whats the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brambles whats the scoop?

You guys need to be running the 155 main if you want best performance!! Run the 155 main with the e-clip on 3rd notch down from top. I played all around with mine and this was the best set up!! Are they thundershift clutch weights worth the money?

Old 01-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Range Rover

Mainemudder3

If your talking about the dynojet 155, and 3rd notch on the needle, I would say your right. I was running that jet setup before I put the dial a jet in and it worked great other than when I revved it up in the garage the exhaust had a black color to it. Thats the only reason I started experimenting with other jetting. My house is at the bottom end of my riding range, 1700 ft so I need to jet a little on the lean side so when I start riding up higher I don't over richen. Thats why I want the dial a jet.

Braveops
I think where I went wrong is going too many sizes too lean, if 155 is optimum(mainemudder3 and I both agree on that) then 152 is one size leaner and 150 is two sizes leaner.
And 148 is 3 sizes leaner. Well I am at 146. This is obviously too lean. I think I will switch to a 150 and see what happens.
I am confident in my ability to work through the challange of jetting for multiple changes but I find it easier to think my way through it if I am actually explaining or writing it out. My brain is going a million miles a minute while I am thinking about solutions, and sometimes I overlook the simple solution. Explaining and writing it out acutally gives me time to slow everything down and analyse better.

It was actually cool watching the dial a jet work when the engine was under load, like I stated before when I started in the snow my rpm's were 5700 and when I looked down again going up the hill really chewing they were up to 6800 rpm I backed off the throttle and watched the tach go down accordingly.

Braveops
you'll have a PM in a couple minutes

Brambles

Old 01-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

you are at 1700 ft my house is 1776 how close they are i run a 147.5 up till now and stock was 152 i think 155 might be to rich for me 150 could be the number.i know with the 147.5 it worked well for me all year round and i think i was at 5600ft + or- some .now we added the pipe it could of changed

Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

Braveops, I think you still have the stock jetting where mainemudder3 and myself have the dynojet kits. These jet sizes are close but I don't believe the 150 polaris jet and the 150 Dynojet are the same size.
With the polaris jets I found the 152 jet ok for around the house but when I took it up to my spots it was running too rich. The 147.5 jet and 4th position on the needle seemed a tad lean down low (not bad) but I had no coughing up high.

As far as the dynojet jets I found that the 155 jet and 3rd notch has exellent power but like I said the exhaust had a blackish tinge to it. Now that I think about it the engine was still pretty cold when I noticed the blackish exhaust so maybe it was actually running fine when it warmed up.

Brambles

Old 01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

brambles, how do you like the dail a jet so far?

Old 01-29-2005, 02:22 AM
Range Rover

I haven't had a chance to really get it tuned but it shows promise. Like I posted earlier, my first test I think I was running too lean which was reducing my rpm's that the engine would turn, the engine load on the flat ground wasn't enough to fully richen my mixture being that far out but when I started chewing uphill through the sloppy snow and loading the engine my rpms shot way up. This showed me that the dial a jet does do something and not just going along for the ride. The only other alternative is that my belt was slipping but I am running a brand new dayco belt, dalton HD secondary spring, 46 gram weights and I didn't smell anything like belt plus I took it back down to the flat and blasted the same crappy rpm on the flat as I did previously, I don't think a cooked belt would be this consistent.

I do have a bit of tinkering to do but I am confiedent it will work out, When the snow either hardens up or disappears I will be able to get to some higher elevations and test the dial a jet some more.

Brambles

Old 02-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

I did a bunch of testing with the dial a jet/ dynojet combination today. Because of the snow I limited my testing to a flat stretch of road I would say apprrox 2000 ft elevation and did speed runs for top rpm. I had a lot more sucess today than the last time I went out. My thoughts about being too lean were correct. I put a 150 Dynojet in and my rpms went from 5700 to 6150, the dial a jet seemed to work best on the second leanest setting so I went to a 148 and adjusted the dial a jet to the middle setting, I also set my needle on the 4 th position. My rpms responded nicely to about 6280. I then adjusted the needle up a bit more to enrichen the low/midrange.
My dynojet settings are
I am now at 148 mainjet
5th notch on the needle
dial a jet set in the middle

My rps are settle in at about 6300 rpm and my top speed is at just under 55 mph(still running out of room). I believe I am probably loosing about 2-3 mph due to the stock tires and the dalton secondary spring.

Brambles

Old 02-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

good to hear i hope to get out this weekend but who knows for sure

Old 02-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Range Rover

Let me know how it goes!!

If your tach works while you drive then keep track of your RPM's at full throttle for me, and your top speed. Am I far off with my top speed of about 53 mph. Top speed isn't really my thing anyways I like acceleration more, and it seems accelerate pretty well. Would be nice to have another 500 HO to compare it to.

Brambles

Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

my 500 does not have the factory tach like the newer ones so just compare to buddys 660 grizz .