Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

brambles whats the scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brambles whats the scoop?

hey did u get to take it for a rip? how was it does it rip now? i have no snow here now just waiting for the muff to show up

if it stays warm i could be riding with ya soon

Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Range Rover

Braveops

I was able to take it for a very short ride, It was very difficult to find a spot that wasn't full of either cross country skiers or snowmobilers. Most places have too much snow to even think about pushing trail. It was a small parking lot where the snowmobilers unload, it was about 300-400 feet long. I did go up the road a bit but it was almost sheer ice, too dangerous to stay on the throttle trying to do a speed run. The quiet core does quiet down the exhaust to acceptable levels. I'm running 10 discs and the quiet core in.
My weight combination is still too heavy, my RPM's are being dragged down too much. I'm running a 51.7 gr and I think I'm going to reduce to about 47.8 gr. The crappy thing is the lighter my weights get I start to lose my low engagement rpm its starting to be more like stock. I also have a hunch I may be running a bit rich.
I wish I had another quad to test against and bare roads.

Brambles

Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

hey what are the stock weights in there? i know how u feel i took the 400 on my driveway its like 200 or 300 ft long. but the snow is going quick i might be able to go out on the weekend and stay low and try one of them if the muff shows up tomorow. does yours have a tach stock? if so what did it rev stock? i want to up the rpm abit in the 500. well if you want to test againest another atv i could give you buddys number that lives there he has a 400 explorer which would give a stock 500sp a good run

Old 01-25-2005, 01:44 AM
Range Rover

Stock 500 HO weights are 46 grams, my dealer installed 44 gram weights for more rpm in the high country

The engagement rpm with the stock spring and 46 gr polaris weights was actually nice, better than my 700 was. When they put the 44 gram weights in it made the engagement higher, about the same as a 700.

The spring I have in now has a lighter pretension than stock by a bit but is stronger throughout compression. I'm thinking of trying the stock kawi 700 spring. Its rated at 0 pretension. The nice thing about my thunder shift weights is that they are extremely adjustable, not like Heel clicker, I have nothing against heel clicker, they just don't seem as adjustable as they make them out to be.

Yes mine has a factory tach

Talk to your buddy first and make sure he's ok with you giving me his name and number, I'm always looking for a good riding partner.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Brambles
Stock 500 HO weights are 46 grams, my dealer installed 44 gram weights for more rpm in the high country

The engagement rpm with the stock spring and 46 gr polaris weights was actually nice, better than my 700 was. When they put the 44 gram weights in it made the engagement higher, about the same as a 700.

The spring I have in now has a lighter pretension than stock by a bit but is stronger throughout compression. I'm thinking of trying the stock kawi 700 spring. Its rated at 0 pretension. The nice thing about my thunder shift weights is that they are extremely adjustable, not like Heel clicker, I have nothing against heel clicker, they just don't seem as adjustable as they make them out to be.

Yes mine has a factory tach

Talk to your buddy first and make sure he's ok with you giving me his name and number, I'm always looking for a good riding partner.

what was it running for rpm before you did the stock weights and then with the 44gm? buddy up there is likes to meet new guy to ride with since he does not know that many people he likes bush wacking

hey what would ya want for the 44grams ?

Old 01-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Range Rover

The quad was new when the 44's were put in, I only rode the 46's a little, but if my memory is correct I was running at about 5900 with the 46's and about 6200 with the 44's. This was all with the factory spring and a completely stock quad. engagement rose about 200 rpm as well.

If you have the stock 46's I'll trade you for those, the dealer kept mine because it was a freebie. If you come riding in the spring we can swap them here.

I'm running 47.2 weights now and aftermarket springs in the primary and secondary and I'm pulling 6500 in the same slight uphill 100 foot section of road
I said before I thought I was running rich so I dropped my dynojet from the 155 to the 148, and the throttle response is much better, still no backfiring on decelleration. I think I will ride this for a bit and check the plugs.

Brambles

Old 01-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

cool cant wait . well my pipe came this morning ohya hmmmmmmmm

Old 01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Range Rover

let me know how you like the pipe, When I switched to 10 disc and the quiet core it not only changed the decibles it also made the exhaust more pithy. you can actually hear the exhaust moving past the discs.

Brambles

Old 01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

so it made a diffrence going to 10 disks? or was cause of the c-core?

Old 01-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Range Rover

I think the quiet core did do the quieting, but I'm not sure what made it go pithy.

I have been changing my weights quite a bit so I don't know how much difference the 10 discs made.

Are you bringing your 500 HO up or your 400
is your 400 4wd?

Brambles

Quick Reply: brambles whats the scoop?