Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...

Well, if you still want help describe in detail the symptomps... when it does it, what altitude you are at, etc. Cannot help you unless you give some very specific info.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Com'on ThaChad. It all boils down to the fact that your wife likes it. Just be happy for her and enjoy riding with her. I bet she didn't pick your Z400 for you. As far as comparing the Trailboss against others, show me a reasonable competitor. Presumably it has rear wheel drive and is about the same price. After all, it makes no sense to compare an inexpensive 2.0 liter Plymouth Breeze to an expensive 2.0 liter BMW.
BryceGTX

Old 01-31-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Polaridoo
Well, if you still want help describe in detail the symptomps... when it does it, what altitude you are at, etc. Cannot help you unless you give some very specific info.
Thanks.

Well I am at sea level. It happens about 1/4 throttle. I was driving up and down the driveway to pack down the snow. I was going the same speed consistantly, about 1/4 throttle. Just driving in a streight line. Ever maybe 100 feet the engine would pop, (Cut out for a quick few seconds) and then come back into power. Not sure if it was a backfire, or like a miss in the spark plug. I was thinking it was probably a little bit lean, but i did put out the choke figureing that with the choak on it would be less air into the carb, thus making it a more rich condition.. but that did not make any difference.

Now i will say that it did not do this before the Clutch went out melting the belt.. But it has done it ever since i got it back from the dealer.. Now before i took it to the dealer the thing would have to warm up for about 20 minutes before you could drive it, other wise it would just die if you touched the throttle with out being 100% warmed up. I told the dealer this, and they said they adjusted the carb, what they adjusted i don't know, but now it starts right up and can run with out being warmed up. So i am assuming they probably adjusted the low end mixture screw, probably making it too lean..

They replaced the clutch and the belt, and that part seams to work just fine.. Prehaps better then it did when we first got it.. mind you it only has about 3 hours on it.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 01-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

It would be nice to know exactly what the dealer did but I will just have to guess. It sounds to me you were too lean (just slightly) before you went to the dealer. I say this because when you hit the throttle it died (touching the throttle probably added more air than fuel to an already lean engine). Also, if you really had to wait 20 minutes for it to warm up on a cold day, then you really must be lean. Not sure how cold it is where you live, but colder temps dictate richer jetting. So here is my guess as to what happened, your dealer must have richened up your carb. I have no idea if he replaced the pilot, the main, adjusted the needle, or what. Chances are he went too rich in his adjustment and now you are on the rich side. If the problem gets worse on warmer days (and better on the colder days) then you are too rich. You could also inspect the spark plug and get a good indication of the mixture. Is 1/4 throttle the only trouble spot? Does it idle and get to 1/4 throttle OK? Does is do OK past 1/4 throttle?

Honstly, without hearing the enginge, it's too hard to say if it's rich or lean. A rich condition will tend to run bad, blubber, and you may smell a lot of exahaust smell or even gas. A lean condition acts empty or 'hollow' and there is very little response... feels very underpowered.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well, It would idle for only for about 30-40 seconds, then it would die.. above 1/4 throttle i didn't notice any problem.. But i didn't drive too much above 1/4 throttle, i did give it some gas a few times to see if it would pop, but did not notice it at all when above 1/4 throttle.. Maybe i will try it out some more tonight and see what happens..

-ThaChad

Old 01-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Your low speed mixture seems to be the problem then. I am not sure if that model has a fuel (or air screw) but if it does you could try that. If that does not work then you will be forced to change the pilot.

Is it still under warranty and are there any dealers you trust to work on it?

Old 01-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Every Boss I've heard of had a long warm up time. Once warmed up, they ran fine. Don't know about the 330, but the biggest problem with the 325 is getting to the carb. If you can see the where the air mix screw is, there should be a plastic plug over it. If it's gone, then they did an adjustment there. If there is another dealer that is convenient, that may be your best shot. If it runs at full throttle ok, you may want to check the needle position.

Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

My girlfriend has an 04 trailboss 330. It has always needed extra time to warm up, but I have always been one to let things warm up to temp before using them. ATV, car, truck, anything motorized works best if you let it warm up before you put a load on it.

At first, I thought her ATV was really underpowered... I am so used to my 2stroke and its powerband that riding hers, it had no takeoff power. I realize now that it has ok power, its just the powerband is spread way out compared to my ATV.
Hers has nice even torque from low end on up, whereas mine has peak torque whenever you ask for it.

We picked hers up brand new last year and I think we got it out the door for under $3400 w/tax. In its price range, it is the quietest, smoothest riding, automatic machine you can have. For a novice rider, those are the best things to keep them from hurting themselves [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-Chris

Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
Originally posted by: mudmaster250
very very few quads come from the factory with a skid plate under the swingarm, and the throttle and brake lever dont need to be metal. its strong enough as it is. they rarely break. as of now it sounds to me like youve been proven wrong by more knowledgeable ppl and are just makin excuses to make your self not look dumb. but hey thats just my opinion. take it how u want to

You must be speaking of Utility quads, because every Sport quad comes with a skid plate under the swingarm.

You have not proven anything, to prove something, you would actually have to show 'proof' of something be correct, or something being incorrect.. You have just made statements, not given any proof of anything.

i lrelize everyones playing nice now but im gonna say this. i dont know where your info comes from cause hardly any atvs come wtih skid plates on teh swingarm. sport or utility. my TB dosnt thats for sure. if they all had them stock why would all the aftermarkey companies sell them?????

Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
very very few quads come from the factory with a skid plate under the swingarm, and the throttle and brake lever dont need to be metal. its strong enough as it is. they rarely break. as of now it sounds to me like youve been proven wrong by more knowledgeable ppl and are just makin excuses to make your self not look dumb. but hey thats just my opinion. take it how u want to

You must be speaking of Utility quads, because every Sport quad comes with a skid plate under the swingarm.

You have not proven anything, to prove something, you would actually have to show 'proof' of something be correct, or something being incorrect.. You have just made statements, not given any proof of anything.

i lrelize everyones playing nice now but im gonna say this. i dont know where your info comes from cause hardly any atvs come wtih skid plates on teh swingarm. sport or utility. my TB dosnt thats for sure. if they all had them stock why would all the aftermarkey companies sell them?????

Because the one's that come stock are Plastic, and no where NEAR as strong as the Aluminum one's that are sold Aftermarket. My Z400 Came with a Plastic one, I replaced it with the 3/16" Aluminum Swingarm Skid Plate. Honda 400ex's come with them, DVX400's come with them, KFX400's come with them, 450R's come with them... I have never seen a sport quad that didn't come with one. They would be foolish not to...

-ThaChad

Quick Reply: Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...