Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...

Oh and BTW arent you a little big for that crapster?

Old 02-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Boy ThaChad. You just can't help putting your foot in your mouth can you. Based on your definition, the DS650 and VForce are neither sports quads because they are two big and heavy and the Vforce has an automatic. But I think most everyone would disagree with you. What is even more funny, is your Z400 has 1.4 inches less suspension travel in the rear than a Trailblazer and only 3 tenths of an inch more travel in the front. But somehow the automatic clutch, shaft drive, Z250 with only 6 inches of suspension travel is a sports quad?
ROGLMFAO, you are too much with your BS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The fact is, the Trailblazer has more rear suspension travel than every Quad you listed except the Predator. And nearly the same or more front suspension travel than most. And there isn't another 250 that even comes close in suspension travel. And I am sure even you can understand how important suspension travel is when you jump. I have a suggestion for you, take that Z250 and jump it 4 or 5 feet in the air. Then do it with a Trailblazer. If you don't kill yourself on the Z250, you will be crying to get off the Z250 and back on the Trailblazer. In the 2 ft whoops, the Z250 will get lost in the holes. The trailblazer will zip right through them (just like your Z400) because it will rotate around the center of gravity of the rider/quad; just like any good sports quad.

As far as size. The trailblazer is the same size as a DS650 or a KFX700. Come to think of it, the Trailblazer is virtually the same size as a Z400. And the Trailblazer and Z400 have identical ground clearance (10 inches).

Its true that the Trailblazer is 89 pounds heavier than your Z400. But then again, its got wider, taller tires; automatic transmission, longer suspension travel, more durable strut front end. Based on my experience the Trailblazer is not just a Sports Quad, it is a very good Sports quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Bryce,

You make some very good points... I don't follow at all on the 250cc class, as i am a bigger guy, and i like power. The only reason i included the 250cc comment was because i just knew if i didn't that someone would give flack about not including 250cc's as sport quads.. Personally, i think 250cc's are made for younger people, like teenagers, or small adults, maybe females... Anyone who wants a real ride will want more power from a 400cc, or the ever growing pouplar 660's, 700's..

Power is a big thing, especially when it comes to an ATV being you are off road, you don't have smooth highways, you have huge hills, large jumps, and torque, and HP is what it's all about..

The larger suspension travel would make since being the heavier weight, when you land 89 extra pounds from 5-10' in the air, the inpact is far greater.. I like my Z400, and i love atleast the looks of the Predator, i have not had the pleasure of riding one though.. As i said i don't follow the smaller cc engines as they just arn't my thing... the whole origional point i was making is that the Trail Boss 330 should be rated with the 350 cc class, where it doesn't stand up the par.. instead of rating it with the 250cc class where of course it has more power, but its not reasonable to rate in that class.. When i was talking about skid plates, you seamed to compair all sport quads to the trailblazer... my only point there was that the trailblazer is hardly the standard for a 'sport' quad... The trailblazer may not have a swingarm skid plate, but 98% of 'Sport' quads do, STOCK.

-ThaChad

Old 02-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

ok chad, figure id throw my input and experience in here

ok, from what ive seen, sport quads generally dont have skid plates. you previously said a 450r does, it DOESNT. i can walk round behind our barn and look at one right now. i know it doesnt have a skid plate under the swingarm. ive looked at a kfx700...nope, no skidplate. a z400 i admit i havent looked at.

now my scrambler didnt come with a stock skidplate, i got an aftermarket one...my kodiak DID come with a swingarm skidplate

as for your 330...have you checked you air filter? didnt take long on my scrammy, and it ran like junk with a bad filter...couldnt get full RPMS, and at 1/4 throttle, just sputtered.

now ive had issues with my scrambler, and ive used colorful words here and there torwards it...but i still love it for the performance side

the reason they compare the 330 to the 250 class is for the most part, their magnum is rated with the 350's.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hello ThaChad. Only one additional point about weight. When you add 26lbs of fluids and a 150lb rider to the quad, the Z400 weighs in at 548 lbs, the Trailblazer weighs in at 637 lbs. The added weight of the Trailblazer represents only 16% difference between the quads. This brings the weight problem more into perspective, because in reality, the shocks only have to absorb 16% more energy in a jump. In laymans terms, if the Z400 jumps 8.5 feet in the air. The Trailblazer will only be able to jump 7.2 feet in the air. However, since the Trailblazer has 15% more rear suspension travel, the difference between the two quads may be a wash. I suspect that the Predator with 10/11 inches of suspension travel and 415 pounds is even a better jumper.
BryceGTX

Old 02-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

how did a post with a topic of trailboss change into a post about what ATV is best for jumping?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Gopher500
ok chad, figure id throw my input and experience in here

ok, from what ive seen, sport quads generally dont have skid plates. you previously said a 450r does, it DOESNT. i can walk round behind our barn and look at one right now. i know it doesnt have a skid plate under the swingarm. ive looked at a kfx700...nope, no skidplate. a z400 i admit i havent looked at.

now my scrambler didnt come with a stock skidplate, i got an aftermarket one...my kodiak DID come with a swingarm skidplate

as for your 330...have you checked you air filter? didnt take long on my scrammy, and it ran like junk with a bad filter...couldnt get full RPMS, and at 1/4 throttle, just sputtered.

now ive had issues with my scrambler, and ive used colorful words here and there torwards it...but i still love it for the performance side

the reason they compare the 330 to the 250 class is for the most part, their magnum is rated with the 350's.
Hmm, i don't remember speciffically saying anyware that the Honda 450R had a Swingarm skid plate. I said VIRTUALLY all Sport quads have them stock (Which means atleast 51% of sport quads), really they ALL should.. It only takes once to bend your sprocket and/or disc brake!), and then someone asked me what i considered to be a 'sport' quad, and the Honda 450R was on the list, but no where did i say the Honda 450R specifficaly had a Swingarm Skid Plate!

Yes the airfilter is 100% clean.

-ThaChad

Old 02-03-2005, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad
Originally posted by: mudmaster250
very very few quads come from the factory with a skid plate under the swingarm, and the throttle and brake lever dont need to be metal. its strong enough as it is. they rarely break. as of now it sounds to me like youve been proven wrong by more knowledgeable ppl and are just makin excuses to make your self not look dumb. but hey thats just my opinion. take it how u want to

You must be speaking of Utility quads, because every Sport quad comes with a skid plate under the swingarm.

You have not proven anything, to prove something, you would actually have to show 'proof' of something be correct, or something being incorrect.. You have just made statements, not given any proof of anything.

i lrelize everyones playing nice now but im gonna say this. i dont know where your info comes from cause hardly any atvs come wtih skid plates on teh swingarm. sport or utility. my TB dosnt thats for sure. if they all had them stock why would all the aftermarkey companies sell them?????

Because the one's that come stock are Plastic, and no where NEAR as strong as the Aluminum one's that are sold Aftermarket. My Z400 Came with a Plastic one, I replaced it with the 3/16" Aluminum Swingarm Skid Plate. Honda 400ex's come with them, DVX400's come with them, KFX400's come with them, 450R's come with them... I have never seen a sport quad that didn't come with one. They would be foolish not to...

-ThaChad

what were u sayin about never claimin the 450r came with a skidplate?

i agree its dumb not to include one on an ATV... its an essential piece of protection

as requuring more metal parts... my kodiak had metal brake levers, and the first tree it caught bent it at an akward angle... they almost out of fingers reach..now ive done the same thing with my plastic levers, and they dont break... the plastic footboards are convenient in that they dont rust. the plastic thumb throttle is much easier to push, yet still durable

Old 02-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Gopher500
very very few quads come from the factory with a skid plate under the swingarm, and the throttle and brake lever dont need to be metal. its strong enough as it is. they rarely break. as of now it sounds to me like youve been proven wrong by more knowledgeable ppl and are just makin excuses to make your self not look dumb. but hey thats just my opinion. take it how u want to

You must be speaking of Utility quads, because every Sport quad comes with a skid plate under the swingarm.

You have not proven anything, to prove something, you would actually have to show 'proof' of something be correct, or something being incorrect.. You have just made statements, not given any proof of anything.

i lrelize everyones playing nice now but im gonna say this. i dont know where your info comes from cause hardly any atvs come wtih skid plates on teh swingarm. sport or utility. my TB dosnt thats for sure. if they all had them stock why would all the aftermarkey companies sell them?????

Because the one's that come stock are Plastic, and no where NEAR as strong as the Aluminum one's that are sold Aftermarket. My Z400 Came with a Plastic one, I replaced it with the 3/16" Aluminum Swingarm Skid Plate. Honda 400ex's come with them, DVX400's come with them, KFX400's come with them, 450R's come with them... I have never seen a sport quad that didn't come with one. They would be foolish not to...

-ThaChad

what were u sayin about never claimin the 450r came with a skidplate?

i agree its dumb not to include one on an ATV... its an essential piece of protection
That was a Mis-Type, i never ment to claim that of a 450R as i have not speciffically looked at the underside of one... Its been ahwile now so i don't remember what i was meaning... But i will retract that statement..

-Chad

Old 02-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

one point for chad-

went to polaris dealer, stock predator had a rear swingarm guard on it. junk plastic one, but it was there

Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Have you had a chance to do any work on the Boss? Hoping someone may have steered you the right direction.

Quick Reply: Polaris TrailBoss 330 Problems...