Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 vs Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 vs Sportsman 500

I’m looking at buying a new Scrambler or Sportsman 500 for my wife. I bought a new Scrambler 500 a few months ago for myself and I’m very impressed with it. We do a lot of trail riding and I find the Scrambler with the 4x4 very capable, although I got stuck in the mud a few times.

The reason I’m considering the Sportsman is because we don’t have any storage space on the Scrambler. It also seems to be a better deal if you look at value for money with the new Sportsman.

I know the best way to decide between the 2 is to take them out for a test drive, but seems to be impossible to do a test drive on a Sportsman in South Africa. The dealers just don’t keep any demos on their floors.

I looked at the specs and on paper I would choose the Sportsman because of the low-range, independent suspension and the high ground clearance, not to mention all the storage space. But I heard it’s got a lot of body-roll in the turns and isn’t as stable and fast and so much fun as the Scrambler.

Has anyone compared the Scrambler with Sportsman 500 and which one would you recommend for technical trails?

Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 AM
Range Rover

If you need utility and all around trail riding, go with the sportsman 500.. if you need
only a more sport oriented machine for faster, more technical trail riding, go with the
scrambler..
The sportsman will have more roll than the scrambler, that's just the inherant nature
of irs. The sportsman with the low gear is very nice to have.

Don't discount the sportsman for ability to have fun on the trail though, it will still
have plenty of pep on the trails, you just can't ride as aggressively as with your
scrambler.. The sportsman will also provide more comfort in suspension and seat
over the scrambler.. The scrambler weighs about 140 lbs less than the sportsman
and will be easier for your wife to manuever.. For myself, I'd pick the sportsman.. for
my wife, I'd pick the scrambler..
If you had one of each, you could always pull the scrambler out of the mud with
the sportsman when it gets stuck.. good luck with your choice..

Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

We ahve one of each. 05 sportsman 500 05 scrambler 500. We like both . You get the best of both worlds. My wife at 5'4" 119 #'s loves the sportsman. She can go over anything and not worry about it along with a very smooth ride. When she wants to go faster, she gets on the scrambler. Believe me when you get one of each she and you will be vary happy. I love the scarmbler but some times when i go for a little 20 mile ride the sportsman is a lot better on the body.

Rick

Old 02-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I think I'll go with the Sportsman. Like Rick said: "get the best of both worlds"...

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Having both style machines I say get the sportsman, it will compliment the scrambler nicely on the trail rides.
You can load it down and make it the workhorse and use it for towing if needed.

I originally purchased my Scrammy for the girlfriend to ride but she prefers the stable planted and comfortable ride of the sportsman. That's ok, I can appreciate the sport capabilities and ride of the Scrambler, so that's what I usually ride when we go out together.

Its nice to have both and be able to chose which on to ride in certain situations.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with everyone's post so far.

I'd imagine you guys would want the storage/hauling capability in South Africa if you are going on some long trail rides (plus the comfort of the IRS). So, if you don't do too much sport oriented riding then I'd say get the Sportsman for sure. Like you said, the racks and storage are great, plus you got one heck of a work horse if needed. But, if you do more fast paced trail rides and like doing a bit more sport oriented riding then the Scrambler sounds like it's for you. You can order front and rear racks for the Scrambler, but it still won't have nowhere as much rack capacity and storage as the Sportsman.

To me, it sounds like you should get a Sportsman. You already have a Scrambler, so there's nothing like having the best of both worlds.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the input, it really helps to get someone else’s opinion. This is the first time I’m using a forum and I think I’m hooked.

I’ve got an appointment for a test drive tomorrow at a dealer in Johannesburg. So I will compare the two and let you guys know how it went and what I decided.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

My wife rides the Sportsman 700 twin and loves it. SHe came off of a 95 Scrambler 400 4X4, it took her about 2 days to get used to the "body roll" of the 700. Now she keep up with anyone in the turns. if the IRS is set up right it is by far not an uncomfortable roll it just feels a little different in the turns.

Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

As promised, here’s some feedback…

We took the Scrambler and Sportsman for a test drive through some rough and not so rough terrain, and we loved it. So I bought the blue Sportsman 500. Here in South Africa the quads are not as cheap as in the US, I paid in Rands equivalent of $11500, what a rip-off!!! But if you want something, you want something.

On Saturday and Sunday we took it to break it in a little. It was awesome, although I didn’t ride it hard; I’m still on my first tank of petrol. We did however had to tow the Scrambler out once, but that was basically because of that stupid clutch cover outlet snorkel; I need to make a plan with that snorkel. I read that some people just add a piece of pipe to extend it. Will it work if I replace the existing snorkel with one from a before 2000 model?

The only thing that irritated me thus far on the Sportsman is the rattle in the plastics, and it’s got a lot of plastic compare to the Scrambler.