Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

is predator a good woods bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is predator a good woods bike?

hey guys... i need some info on the predator. i do a ton of trail riding.. i have a pretty agressive riding style... ive been on bikes and quads for about 12-13 yrs... and i would also like to do some racing on the side... woods racing.. not mx.... would a predator be a good bike for me? give me all the details.. how they compare to the 450s.... how they compare.. NOT JUST IN TOP SPEED... how do they compare in accelleration? handling? overall feel of the bike? ergonomics? which has better componets? as far as shox and stuff.... give me all the info you can. thanks a lot... Brandon[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

It hold's up to the 450's. Polaris is getting big into GNCC racing with a factory team. I have the 05 TLD I just like the way I sat on it compared to the YFZ 450, I like the set up on the Honda 450R but no electric start. One of the ATV mags just did a 12 hour test and the TLD come in second behind the Honda 450.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

I would stay away from polaris all together.. they have amazing sleds but the quads just don't have the reliability.. friends 2004 predator blew a tranny 2 weeks after he got it form the dealership... I would go with the honda 450 or even a 400ex... motors last forever and can take a beating.. I am a banshee rider for life but honda is the way to go for trails and stuff..

Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bansheemike
I would stay away from polaris all together.. they have amazing sleds but the quads just don't have the reliability.. friends 2004 predator blew a tranny 2 weeks after he got it form the dealership... I would go with the honda 450 or even a 400ex... motors last forever and can take a beating.. I am a banshee rider for life but honda is the way to go for trails and stuff..

Dude you are out of your mind....the Pred is the of the best quads out. Maybe you need to trade that over rated banshee in the the 400ex. All quads the going to have problems, and I bet the dealership fixed the tranny. So don't get on here running your mouth about something you don't know about. I have heard alot bad stuff about the 450r and the yfz and I don't tell people to stay away from them.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

they still blow...

Old 02-01-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I've road all 3 and ergonomics the 450r wins hands down imo. The Pred has better components(braided brake lines etc.), I just don't care for the Pred but thats just me.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I always have to laugh at the guy who takes one experience then tags an identity from that. Hondaboy101, they're all good, yet they can all be bad....doesn't matter the brand. When you consider the abuse we put these machines through.

The Predator, especially the 05's with the sweet rachet gearbox, are some pretty slick machines. The TLD suspension is probably THE best stock suspesion on the market. Add to that the stock chromoly axle, bullet-proof composite swingarm skid, it's a great all around machine. Go take one for a rip and judge for yourself. Just to be fair, take the others for a rip and then form your own opinion on bang for the buck.

Just make sure to always wear your noggin' bucket! (helmet) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Funny how a Yamaha guy could say stay away from Polaris for a tranny prob. I don't need to remind anyone about the '01 Raptors. I don't mean to start a war here but come on. If we all used that logic what brand would we be buying? Every brand has problems.

Now back to the topic....

As far as woods racing goes, wouldn't you need the 440 kit Polaris sells or are you going to be racing open class?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have talk to some friends who ride Preds, they love them for raceing and trails, But I will say if you have a good back, go for it I would buy 1 in a min if I still had a good back.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

the preddy is an excellent bike, my team mate raced one for the last 2 seasons with ZERO problems reliability wise, no motor problems, no tranyy problems, whatever. this is not to say that it didn't get normal wear ond tear stuff replaced, some a-arm bushings, 1 ball joint and a couple of other things. The BRAKE PADS even made it thru 1 season!!!! 8 races. we did have the suspension changed for his weight and riding style ( put remotes on front and revalved front and rear, different springs). and now the bike is on its way next week to texas for gncc. still no motor work, trans work, whatever. the 05 has a newer shock set up than 03-04, to me it rides much better and you can feel the adjustments alot better. good luck, jeffro

ps there are a couple of pics on my gallery of the preddy

Quick Reply: is predator a good woods bike?