Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Busted tranny case....don't that suck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted tranny case....don't that suck?

"Miffed"? I'd be more than miffed. So that plastic "case saver" didn't, huh? Figures. So I guess the rest of us need to go out and fabricate something out of metal. This month's ATVRider magazine has an article on case savers. They show "chain wheels" that are used on some models. I have a chain tensioner on mine, but these look a little different and apparently only contact the chain at extreme extension or compression of the swingarm, and supposedly grab a slingling broken chain. I guess that's the idea anyway. I feel your pain man, now you've got me scared about mine! There's been some Polaris transmission on ebay from time to time, but they changed the design over the years so you'd have to be specific.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

rook, also if you decide to change case. there are 2 bushings for the bevel gears. i don't think they come with new case. they are a real pain in the a$$ to get out sometimes and usually end up destroyed if you do. one has to come out tho to get to a thrust washer behind it. thought i had a used 1, but it was for different model, sorry. good luck

Old 02-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

This isn't sounding like something I want to tackle by myself....I'll call a stealership Monday and see how much....maybe I can get the parts myself and just let them do the work.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish you were closer I would do it for beer

Old 02-06-2005, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sup RookWV.....we have so much in common man, I'm in Beckley also, (Piney View), 500 Scrambler, and I had tranny troubles TODAY!, I'm thinking mine is not as bad as yours (I hope), will know more at work Monday when I get a better look at it, I think I just stipped the teeth off my front sprocket, where you guys ride at? We mainly run around macknie, garden grounds, out Mill Creek and such. Hope you get that bike fixed, maybe we'll run into each other ridding!

Old 02-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Wow! We're pratically neighbors, I'm down in Stanaford just up the hill from JC's.

ftwflh, too bad....you need to move closer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'd float you in beer!

And to think I had been thinking about trading......guess I shoulda done it!

Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Comon Rook! thats no way to be! Like fiflwh said, it really isnt that bad. I bet if you sit down to the kitchen table with the servce manual for a couple nights, youll be able to do it no problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Id also look into geting it welded... this just may be cheaper than a new case

Old 02-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: RookWV
Wow! We're pratically neighbors, I'm down in Stanaford just up the hill from JC's.

ftwflh, too bad....you need to move closer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I'd float you in beer!

And to think I had been thinking about trading......guess I shoulda done it!
Man, get out, we 2 miles from each other, my uncle lives on Deepwood ave right there by the tire shop. What caused your trans case to bust? Did the chain hit it or what?

Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yup, the something caused the chain to break and it slapped the case....that little plastic "case saver" didn't even slow it down!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Talked with a dealer today, he said right around $700 after labor but that's including both halves of the crankcase ($400+). His labor rate was much lower than I expected. He said it'd probably be a couple of weeks in the shop....

I wonder how much I could get out of the wheeler right now being busted? I'm not sure how much I'm liking spending a bunch of money on something I have no intentions of keeping......I had been thinking of selling it anyways

Quick Reply: Busted tranny case....don't that suck?