Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Busted tranny case....don't that suck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted tranny case....don't that suck?

20minutes into a ride and whammo! I'm glad Polaris realized this was such a delicate spot that it needed a PLASTIC case saver

How much is this going to cost me? Is it something I should attempt myself or is it more of a "real garage" fix?

Here's a bigger version of the pic

http://OklahomaSpeed.com/pics/enginecaseBIG.jpg

Old 02-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

sorry to hear that,,,,bummer

Old 02-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

3233896 GEARCASE-RH,HR * $199.99 $179.99

The prices above are for the right hand gearcase....the discount is on PolarisOEMParts.com....the $199.99 is the retail price, the $179.99 is the discounted price

thats if you do it yourself....but since you need to swap all the parts, you may have a hard time doing it by yourself without the correct tools....

I'm guessing a dealer would charge you in the neighborhood of $800 or more, I could be wrong....

the price above is just the right hand gearcase, if you need the left it is the same price as the RH....

dave

Old 02-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will take you about 4hrs from start to finish depending on how many beer breaks you take. But fix it yourself it isnt hard if you have a manual.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info dave!

4hrs huh? I'm sure that is if you are more than averagely mechanically inclined? I cna turn wrenches but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I guess it could be a great learning experience but is this the right project to be learning that much?

I've got a manual somewhere around here......I'll have to gander at it before I decide.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Takes more time to get it out of the frame than to fix it.These trannys arent nothing more than a basic 4x4 transfer case like the old GM trucks had.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I started to dismantle it tonight but the wheeler is dirty and I'm a bit miffed about it all.

Do I need all the guts or would I be safe with just the case? Everything inside appears to be in working order but I don't know about the tiny pieces....maybe after I get it apart.

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Quad Patrol

Just the case and the internal chain........any time you have a tranny apart put the chain in.

Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ftwflh
Just the case and the internal chain........any time you have a tranny apart put the chain in.
there are two chains in the case, the Silent Chain (3233036 - $39.99/$33.32) and the Roller Chain (3233546 $39.99/$33.32)

Old 02-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, I broke my chain guard on my old 94 trailblazer in the woods, instead of taking it easy I hammered on it down a trail when Bamm, I like to have wrecked, I just thought I threw a chain,well I did right into the case. Busted it pretty bad. Disassembled the case and had it welded,I lucked up and still had the parts that broke off,(don't ask how we found them in a mudded trail about 30 yds back,LUCK) New guard,chain and sprocket and was good to go. I hope you have good luck getting it back together,it can be a pain in the rear. You would think there would be a tranny case guard.

Quick Reply: Busted tranny case....don't that suck?