Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions for quad owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for quad owners

How many hours in an average month do you spend riding ?

How many hours in an average month do you spend at home wrenching on your quad ?

Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I would say riding would be 12 to 15 hours, working on it not alot since it's still new. I spend alot more time on here then anything, I think. Soon will be back to work and will not be able to be on here all the time.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

in the summer at least an half hour a day and i never have to work on my quad..the quality and performance of my scrambler has been holding up great

Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Hello RickRitter. My wife and I were riding about 6-8 hours a day on the weekends in the fall. Now, we just use mine for plowing snow. I spend a lot of time adjusting my chain, seems step 7 always takes a loooong time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Range Rover

During the summer when I'm doing my flattrack racing, ATV Rodeo's and drag racing I spend the most amount of time on my 2 quads.It's really hard to determine the amount of time that I spend riding them between racing and practicing/play riding but I would guess around 12-14 hours a month.It really just depends on my work schedule and how many events are scheduled for that month.

I do all of the work on my quads myself, but I have to admit to letting the dealership fix a couple of things on both quads a couple of times because of my lack of knowledge about them.Usually all that I have to do is just routine maintenance like changing oil in the 4-stroke, cleaning air filters, changing spark plugs, checking bolts to make sure they are tight, checking tire pressure and stuff like that.The biggest majority of my time is really spent cleaning on the quads though.I wash them after every ride or race.

If I have a tough season then I find myself turning wrenches every week like last year.I installed a new head, reed cage, reed cage spacer and played around with some handling stuff.So far this year I've replaced an a-arm, handlebars, steering post and added wider wheel spacers.Usually it takes me twice as long to do stuff because I get sidetracked by cleaning and inspecting everything around what I'm replacing.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

about 8 hours ridding and maybe 2 hours working just tryin new stuff. its lots more in the summer but now i have school so that cuts it back alot.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

starting usually in march we ride about 4 to 8 hrs a week, depending on weather. and a couple hours a week going over and cleaning the bikes. once race season starts, we'll run about 50 - 60 hrs a month. as far as wrenching and cleaning and checking over, a bunch. mostly the normal maintenance stuff. plus the occassional trail ride on off weekends. used to ride alot more in winter, but been to busy this past one to really be able to.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:27 AM
916 Reaper - Pure Evil Inside!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably ride between 20-30 hours amonth. Always do a complete pre-ride check on all the machines before taking them out and the oil change every 10-15 hours. Wife says I spend way to much time "looking at the quads," and the probably adds up to about 5+/- hours amonth for wrench time.

Thanks Chris

Old 02-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RickRitter
How many hours in an average month do you spend riding ?

How many hours in an average month do you spend at home wrenching on your quad ?
winter
6 wrenching
6 riding

spring /summer/ fall
8 wrenching
12-18 riding

I dont live where i can ride (like on a farm or acerage).
dont have the quads home often either.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Hopefully I'll get the RV running right, then this spring and summer I'll be somewhere at least once a month. I don't count regular maintenance as wrenching, and the last time I did anything was putting your kit on. I'll be calling you when I put the 34mm carb on the Boss this spring. I'll be seeking professional help, just not what the wife had in mind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Questions for quad owners