Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

This New Kawi 650 V-Twin is gonna be hard to beat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Kawasaki has IRS on this new bike, I don't see where Polaris will stand a chance against it. It will be deemed "ATV of the year" for sure. It sounds like Kawasaki has really outdone themselves on this one. The rear brake sounds awesome, it is supposed to have 2/4wd option, true 4wd option, engine braking, and looks to be a metal housing covering the belt drive. If they can put a large enough radiator on that thing to keep things cool, I'll be adding a new atv to the garage. The wife can have the Xplorer 400. I'm more excited about this new Kawasaki than I have been about a quad in a long time. Let's just hope that this thing is put together well. What do you guys think??? Greg Sims??? Bill C.???

Later,

Waylan

Old 09-19-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing in "MY OPINION" that would make this the perfect quad for me would be the Hondamatic tranny.

No doubt it will be awsome...

Old 09-19-2000, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I said it a few months back that the Sportsman to be named King will have to beat all the competition. Now it appears that the Traxter & the new Kawasaki might just dethrone the Sportsman as the King.

The Sportsman is still the #1 500cc quad.

The bar will be raised, if this new quad has Kawasaki quality, then its going to be tough to beat.

Things are getting interesting

Old 09-19-2000, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

lets wait till the end of next week. thats when the polaris dealers show is. this is when the sp700 will be released. i dont think the kawie 650 will have any think on a sp700. but im sure honda is upset now

later
jon

Old 09-19-2000, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Did it say anything about IRS? I could find no references to this.

Old 09-19-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

No, it said nothing about the suspension. I am going to guess that it is a conventional swing arm. But I am only guessing.

I am glad it will be hard to beat. That means other manufacturers will be stepping up to the plate.

Old 09-19-2000, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kawasaki utility ATV's often feature semi-independent swing axles, instead of swing arms, Lurch; however, I'm with you--don't know what kind of suspension the Prairie 650 has.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-19-2000, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

That thing looks awesome i bet it had loads of power if i bought a ute i would definatly be considering that prarie I would think its gonna have a heck of a price tag though

Old 09-19-2000, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waylan,
Oh boy,does this new 4x4 sound incredable or what?Disk brakes,TRUE handlebar mounted 4x4,switchable 2wd-4wd,and what a power horse.It's weight is suppose to be decent to.If this 4x4 stays around 600lbs,I might be adding a new one myself.This quad makes me completely FORGET the Ruby even exists.I'll just have to wait and see what Polaris is unveiling first.GOOD JOB,KAW,===Bill

Old 09-19-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,

I am a loyal Polaris fanatic, and even though Polaris has come a long way in the quality control department, I think that Kawasaki makes some very durable bikes. Until I read the writeup about this new Kawasaki, Polaris is the only manufacturer I would consider spending my hard-earned cash on. This quad may definitely change my outlook on things. The existing Prarie is a very solid-built machine, as I ride with one in our riding group. However, it has drum brakes on the rear that aren't worth a crap, they don't make the prarie with 2 or 4wd option, and have had that cruddy limited slip front diff in the past. This new beast has got to have more power than anything else, has engine braking, true 4wd with 2wd option, some kind of new rear brake system that should be superior to anything on the market. If it has the IRS, I can't think of anything that would compare to it. Kawasaki builds alot of quality into their stuff, and the more I talk about this new quad, the more I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. My wife is going to have triplet cows when she hears me talk about this new bike. Even the mention of something new sends her into the "I guess I'll never get a house" mode. Life's rough, I guess. I can't wait to get more info on the way everything works.
I never got excited over the Ruby, because it was publicized early on that it would still sport drum brakes and have full time 4wd. It's not that I'm so loyal to Polaris that the ruby didn't excite me, but rather it was another foreman with a trick transmission. If this new Kawi would have the same rear drum brake on it, I would be tremendously depressed. From what I've read so far, Kawasaki is going to start taking a chunk of the market from Polaris, Honda, and Yamaha with their new flagship. Hopefully Dirtwheels and 4Wheel atv action will have alot more info on them than the atvconnection did(maybe in their next issue). I can't wait. Let's pray that they haven't overlooked anything that sticks out like a sore thumb(like a cruddy air box design, low intake and exhaust vents for CVT, or real low ground clearance, or a "new and improved" front differential that really doesn't work as claimed). My adrenaline is definitely pumping. Later,

Waylan

Quick Reply: This New Kawi 650 V-Twin is gonna be hard to beat!!!!!