Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The 2006 Polaris sleds are out!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 2006 Polaris sleds are out!!

Ride the Mach Z and you'll see that there is no other sled that compares. It's in a class by itself, just like Doo in general. Everyone else is playing catch-up. From what I see for '06, they're not doing a very good job.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

LOL 95sport400. Clearly the REV sleds are totally different animals. And I prefer them to the traditional sleds. Million dollar question is are the new 2006 Polaris machines as good or better?
BryceGTX

Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Range Rover

Hi all!!
My wife bought me a small sled for Valentines Day!!!
I was looking at one buy was going to wait for next winter but Melina got it for me now, and I only know after she bought it, when she woke me up to ask if I going into town to pick up my new sled!!

Its a 2005 340 Polaris Edge Touring , small motor, But it looks sweet, take a look at the link below.......I could have got a 2003 550 in the same model , with only a 1000 miles for $1000 less than my 340, But I liked the new Edge platform better, and I don't need to be temped to ride fast on a bigger sled, as I could hurt myself worst than I am now ................I'm in rought enough shape now...LOL and the 340 will burn enough gas as it is'

340 edge

I wanted a small motor because its cheap on gas.
Melina won't be with me much, and I'm not into riding alot, but just wanted to beable to got to the cabin once in a while without having to have my friends carry me around........I only bought one sled before, back in 1988, it was a new ski-doo 377 , and I hated it so much that I sold it 3 weeks later.........and never bought another one........but now I need a way to get around when there is to much snow,..... so a 340 was right for me.............it has all the goodies to boot, like reverce, and electric start
It also came with a two year warranty, hitch, top of the line polaris cover, extra belt, 2 stroke oil, and pluges.
Its cost me $7200 Canadian OUT the door.

I got about 180 miles on it so far....................and all is good, I LOVE IT!

Do any one know of a good polaris sled forum ??

Thanks
Mossy-D
340 Edge Touring

Old 02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey BigD500ho. Congrats on the new sled. It looks great!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I don't need to be temped to ride fast on a bigger sled, as I could hurt myself
LOL, thats why I bought a Trailblazer!! Its also the reason that I will probably buy a smaller engine sled. My wife wants a 380 Rev. She very rarely gets above 60 mph/100 kph. I am looking at a 550 fan REV or a 600 liquid or 4 stroke Polaris. Like you, I prefer the fan. But, I want to try riding the new Polaris IQs before I make a decision.
I wanted a small motor because its cheap on gas.
Ditto, my current sled get less than 10 miles per gallon. The high HP is fun to play with, but the fact is, I spend most of my time cruising less than 60 mph. So it makes more sense to get a smaller sled.
Do any one know of a good polaris sled forum
I like snowest and amsnow. I also check maximumsled and snowmobilefanatics every once in a while. There are some ride reviews of the 2006s on amsnow.
I hope this helps you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

The 600 HO is basically the old 600 cylinders with some slight porting mods bolted to the new big-reed 440 crankcase from the IQ racer. 120 HP is a VERY conservative number as the existing VES 600 has been making that number since '04 when it got a hotter ignition in conjunction with the new cooling system. If you could keep that motor cool in a quad, that would be freekin awesome. That'd be real tough though. That motor has a propensity for heat-soaking as it is and that's with snow to keep it cool. Interestingly enough, the 600 HO is EPA compliant for 2006 with CARBS!!! The electronically-controlled exhaust valves and DET have let them put a real lean ignition curve and jetting into that sled.

The sled I want to ride is the FST Switchback. I'll be riding the '06 Polaris sleds on March 12th and really want to try out the turbo.

For the guy who says the REV is the best sled on snow... that's highly arguable. I'm 6'5" and HATE the REV riding position. On my ProX, I moved the bars up and forward, put on a taller seat that lets me sit more forward, but my feet are still below my knees and not under my thighs. My knees are also not hitting the cowling in every corner.

Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey PooNanny.
The 600 HO is basically the old 600 cylinders with some slight porting mods bolted to the new big-reed 440 crankcase from the IQ racer.
Thats also what I understand. Looks like a good upgrade from the previous 600. I too am interested in the Switchback, but I don't want the turbo so I guess the 600 Switchback would be my choice. I am trying to keep my mind open on what I would like, so I will try anything I can get my hands on; LOL. For instance, I am curious to try the FS Classic to see how it compares to the RS Vector. I haven't seen HP numbers on the FS. Maybe you can let us know early [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
the 600 HO is EPA compliant for 2006 with CARBS!!! The electronically-controlled exhaust valves and DET have let them put a real lean ignition curve and jetting into that sled
Excellent point. Hadn't considered that. I wonder if it will go to the Clean fire for the future?

Another thing I noticed on the Polaris website. It says that the 750 has "PERC 4". Now the way I read that it means that it gets reverse by spinning the engine backwards like the 2 strokes!!! Anyone seen it yet? Didn't know anyone was doing that with a 4 stroke. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

That 750 4 stroke will be sweet in about 2 years when they strip some weight off of it and figure out just how much boost it can handle.

The 600 WILL get CFI at some point. Too many people want the simple pull starting of the CFI system. The 600s are notorious for being cold blooded. Both of mine have been like this since day 1. I think they were holding off on this for '06 though for a few reasons. One was to keep cost down. Polaris licensed this system from a firm known as AVL. They have to pay so much per sled for it, similar to how they pay Bombardier Rec Products for PERC. The second reason is because they could whip this engine together very easily using existing parts off the shelf.

Perc-4 is an electronically-actuated mechanical reverse system. Basically a solenoid drops in a drum gear to spin the driveshaft backwards. They would require some serious valving tricks to make a 4s spin backwards. I think Mercedes Benz has a patent on a system to do this.

The FS classic is only around 80 HP. It's in the lineup to replace the Frontier 4 stroke. The FST is around 135 in stock trim. It's been tested as high as 175 HP with a simple boost adjustment to the turbo unit. I know several who've ridden them and say the lag is about a 1.5 count off a dead stop. At cruising speed, turbo lag is minimal. The only real quirk with riding it is a chirp like a small bird when the pop off valve opens. CHIRP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I can't wait to try these things! I love the Fusion chassis. I've ridden the 900 a lot but am anxious to try the Switchback and the other motors.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

I was a little suprised that the FS Classic was 20 pounds heavier than the old Frontier classic. But fact is, the FS is only 40 pounds heavier than the 700 Classic. And only 20 pounds heavier than the RS Vector. So if it handles as well as the REV, and has 2/3 the power of a Vector, it should be a nice combination. I might be interested. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

LOL Perc 4. I wondered if it was a mechanical setup.

So AVL was the designer of the Clean fire. I didn't know any sled manufacturers were working with AVL. I wonder if AVL designed the whole engine. Any thoughts?

So PooNanny, what is your opinion of the Fusion compared to the Rev?
BryceGTX

Old 02-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BryceGTX

So AVL was the designer of the Clean fire. I didn't know any sled manufacturers were working with AVL. I wonder if AVL designed the whole engine. Any thoughts?

So PooNanny, what is your opinion of the Fusion compared to the Rev?
BryceGTX
AVL didn't design the engine. They worked closely with the Polaris engineers to fit the AVL system to Polaris-designed mills.

The Fusion is a really nice compromise for those who want to be able to ride a rider-forward type of sled but not be forced into a single position. I found the sled to work the best for aggressive trail riding with the rider select in the 5 position. The IQ front suspension is incredible for hammering through the bumps without transferring feedback up to the handlebars. I didn't think the Fusion skid was all that great, but they've changed it up a fair bit for '06. It looks extremely similar to the Edge skid, which is widely regarded as the most versatile skid in the biz. As for the REV, I don't care for the riding position much. I like to scoot forward in the corners to load the skis as much as possible. When I do that on the REV, my knees are literally pressed right up to the cowl.

What do you ride now? I'm on an '04 ProX600 that I've modded quite a bit. I have a 136" Ripsaw under it, PowderPro skis, a Boss hi-rise widetop seat, Tempa-flow, and a bunch of other goodies. Hoping to go big bore for next season. 660 time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Great information PooNanny. My wife and I each have 98 Skidoo 700 SE Grand Touring sleds. Triple pipes, air suspension, DPM; gotta love the DPM (forget the chokes). Fast but heavy. Really great for two up. LOL, problem is we very rarely ride two up. Not so good in the bumps. We are ready to change sleds. We want to go smaller, don't need all that HP. We are also looking for the REV/IQ rider position for our next sleds.
BryceGTX

Quick Reply: The 2006 Polaris sleds are out!!