Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2000, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Expedition, how do you like your 589's?

Just picked mine up, and I have a shimmy in the front end. They run VERY close to the tie rod in front. Dealer washered them out, but I can flex tire and make them rub. Gonna put it up on the hoist and pull the wheels to see.

52mph (27" rubber) quite easily and not nearly broken in

Old 09-22-2000, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

What I am saying is the the cage will usually break while in reverse. The ***** stay in place and eventually will come out. You may think the damage occurred going forward when the damage was already there, just not apparent. I am not saying that they never brak going forward. I am saying that ussually the cage is broken or cracked in reverse because the front wheels have a tendency to lock sideways in reverse when one wheel gets traction. Even when they do break going forward, I believe you have to have the wheels cocked sideways to do it. If the wheels are straight, there is no pressure on the cage whatsoever. AND, if your cage is in good shape, I belive you will snap an axel before you break a CV. Just my opinion.

Greg

Old 09-22-2000, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I broke that one the same day we ran acroos you, Kyle, and all those new stock Yamaha BigBears when you were stuck in that hole we pulled you out of.. hehehe...(sorry, couldn't resist, but its all in good fun!@!)
We were down close to the river, I was going straight forward.. IT JUST BROKE.. hahahaha... I drove it back to the trailer though.. Even went thru Marys Mudhole with it...
Ya'll goin to the Ambucs Ride this weekend?...

Old 09-23-2000, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Had my HO up on the rack. At full droop, the inner u joint is VERY near bind. No wonder they break! Imagine a with a lift kit. When I get some time, I'll likely grind them some to increase clearance.

Old 09-23-2000, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

So, If I get an H.O. will 28inch outlaws, 12inch wide all around without a lift kit fit, and if so will it still be too much for my CV's? I have a honda 300 with lift and vamps, and havent had a CV go out yet on my front end however, I have skinny vamps on the front. Greg, do you know anyone with 28's on their Sp500 or H.O.? Let me know, because I really like the features on the polaris but if the rubi would last longer with the bigger tires I might just get that.

Old 09-25-2000, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Matt,
I know several people including Trey (The guy that won Bubba Junk) That have been running 28"vamps for six months with no problems. My advise would be to not go over 26 in a vampire or outlaw and 27" in a mud bug or tsl. Definitely do not put 28" outlaws on the front. They are too agressive for the bike and you will pay. Do not go over 1.5" lift.

Greg

Old 09-25-2000, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Greg:
I think numbers wise, there's a lot more of you Polaris guys running lifts and larger tires in comparison to the rest, so here's my question to the "experienced":

I run a '00 AC 500 Auto, and would like to put either 27" Bugs or 589's. They will fit without a lift, but I run with a little over 100 lbs. on the front rack at ALL times. (winch, mortar box loaded with recovery gear, etc.-a must have, can't do without) As a result, my front end drops a little (1-2" or so) and I'm concerned about rubbing. My A-arms are almost completely level across the bottom, so I was thinking that with a lift, it would bring it up to about the same angle of a stock machine, then with my rider weight (~230 lbs.), it would then drop back to the near level position. Do you guys think I'd have any CV joint problems with this type of setup, or would it be OK? I really want the added clearance for all the log crossing I run into, but am really worried about the bad press I've heard from lift kits. Just figured with all you guys out there, there would probably be some better "experienced knowledge" rather than heard it from a friend of a friend, etc.

Thanks for the info,

Mike

Old 09-25-2000, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

It has been my experience that the artic cats hold up well to lifts. I think that a 2" lift with the tires you want is very reasonable. Just go 10 wide in the front and 12 in the rear. I would be surprised is you had a problem. Just try not to push your luck if you are in a hole with the wheels cocked sideways.

Greg

Old 09-25-2000, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Greg:
Great, thanks for the thoughts. I was kind of thinking I'd just stick with 10's all the way around, or do you think it would be better to run 12's in back? I was just trying to keep weight down, even though there would be a little more traction/stability.

Mike

Old 09-25-2000, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

Of course it is your decision, but I think the bike will hold up to the 12" wide in the rear with no problems. Also weight is not always bad.

Greg

Quick Reply: CV Joints