Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Latest Elvis/Gordon L Banks Sightings

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa!!! Yea Odin ya got me there with your signature on that post. I thought the impossible had happened.
I must confess I have printed off some of Gordons Technical info on the 300 4x4 it was good material. I have used the Powerol kit which he endorsed so well when overhauling 300 Hondas.
I am going to be near Gordons Home town in December , I have another aquantance off of here who knows him and I am thinking of trying to meet him while I am in their area maybe he can introduce me to the legend.

Old 09-23-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

When you have 4 wheels that are pulling all at the same time what is it if it isn't TRUE 4 wheel drive?Even the migthty King doesn't do it by it's self you have to lock it in.No matter how you get it,if you have 4 wheels pulling you have 4wheel drive,I may be in the minority but didn't think much of him then and still don't he was know it all that didn't know it all.When it came to HONDA maybe knew what he was talking about,but when he talked of POLARIS was evident he knew very little.CM

Old 09-24-2000, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im with CM on this one.Until someone shows me the disadvantage's of AWD over the KQs true 4x4,I will still concider Polaris AWD system a true 4x4 system.I have found no terrain thus far that my AWD did not work flawlessly in.Four wheels with power is true 4x4,mechanically linked or not.The waiting time for the AWD system to kick in on Pols AWD is heavily overegagerated.====Bill

Old 09-24-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

A disadvantage would be climbing a 2ft vertical wall with 28"(well it doesn't have to be 28" but just larger than stock high traction tires) tires on your bike. Instead of the front wheels pulling the bike over the rear wheels are pushing the tires INTO THE wall, and cause of the high traction tires and the semi soft ground you can't spin your rears to get your fronts to engage.

I've seen this happen but in a differt way. A sportsman 500 with 27" vamps was pulling a tandem axle trailer with 2 deer stand and it hit a washout with it's fronts. Cause of the Vamps and the weight of the trailer it could not spin the rear wheels to engage the fronts to pull him up and over the wash out.

Old 09-24-2000, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Trying to picture in my mind what your saying,as I have never run anything bigger than stock tires.But you lose me some where,If you have all that traction,you will either move or the tires will spin that 1/5 turn and fronts will kick in.That guy with the trailer was he maybe in high gear?and not enough power to spin tires?Not argueing about your point,it maybe true buy can't seem to get it in my mind.Can't recall ever haveing that happen to me.CM

Old 09-24-2000, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't see that situation coming up a whole lot for me. Anyone else?

Old 09-24-2000, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant imagine the 500cc Sportsman not having enough power to spin the rear wheels in the situations mentioned.I beleive the guy was probably in high range.

Yesterday,at my brother Joe's house,I had a trailor hooked up to my 00 Xplorer.About 10 of us were clearing out the back of his yard.[tree's]The house sat on a hill.We just had a very serious rain storm the night before,actually,5 inches of rain.It was more than just muddy and slipery.As the trees were being cut down and cut into woodstove size lenghts,I and my newfew loaded up the trailor and brought it to the top of the hill with the quad,We hauled around 7-8 cords of wood with the trailor and quad.Never did encounter any problems with the AWD,and we did some pretty off camber driving to.===Bill

Old 09-24-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

He was very experienced ,however not always right./always wrong about Polaris ground clearance../I enjoyed his posts,though.But I did not like his and some of his forum buddies ideas about censoring and controling this forum.

Old 09-25-2000, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider

Kagey, How many miles per gallon are you getting with your Magnum? Mine has been averaging about 25 with a high of 26.67. I couldn't believe it. with a quad that big

Old 09-25-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Mine had been getting in the 21, 22 mpg range. My plug said I was running a little rich. My riding style and the humid hot conditions here may also have had some effect on my mileage. I recently installed a K&N filter on my 500 and there was a noticable jump in both power and mpg. The plug also cleaned up from the carbon black color it was running to a nice grey/brown like I like to see.

Quick Reply: Latest Elvis/Gordon L Banks Sightings