Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cheapest/most reliable mods for a 2 stroke 250

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:28 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Cheapest/most reliable mods for a 2 stroke 250

I have a 2000 Xplorer 250, and it really isn't too bad for a 4x4 utility quad. The fastest I've been able to get it is 42.5 mph (by GPS). I would like to have more peel-out power from take off (I have none presently unless I have the handlebars turned and I'm on loose dirt or mud) and a little more top speed. 50mph or a little more would be nice for those long straightaways.

What are the cheapest and easiest mods that I can do to my baby to give it some extra power, but still keep it reliable? I don't want to go whole hog and mod my engine....at least not yet.

Thanks a billion![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

look into getting a pipe for it, two stroke exhuasts can make a big different in acceleration, guess u could look into a clutch kit for that top end to?

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:49 AM
|
Trailblazer

Do any of these pipes have the ability to be swapped with the stock exhaust easily? There are definitely times when I want to step with pep and not care about noise, but other times when I'd like to keep the decibels down. Well, before I ask that....how much louder do the aftermarket pipes make the little two strokes?

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider

well i have one friend with a 2 stroke, and hes runnin a blaster 200. But from his stock exhaust to his Pro Circut exhaust made the thing a @$$ load louder, but with a xplorer 250 i dont think it would make to much of a difference? sry im not much for two stroke mods. If any1 else has any imput on what im saying, or help it would be nice. Its easy to switch exahausts, cept i wouldnt recommend doin it often because u'll need to stock up on gaskets, everytime ive taken my pipe off ive had to replace the gaskets so i dont know what would happen with ur 250. As for my exhaust it did raise the noise level, but it does sound alot better, and the power increase was noticeable

Old 03-04-2005 | 12:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i dont know how many choices u have to choose from for pipes to, but if ur lookin for alot of power, it will get louder and u wont be able to switch the stocker with the aftermarket to often like i said. Plus if u have to rejet the carb, which i dont know about ur quad, then u wont be switchin it often at all cuz it will become a pain

Old 03-04-2005 | 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

you will get a noticeable increase with a pipe and clutch kit. Some pipes can be used with the stock silencer to keep the noise down.
That's what I would do, and you could always switch back with a jetting adjustment.

HPD pipes for the 400 bolt right up using the stock silencer, I would call RCR and talk to Rick.

Jim
http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm

Old 03-04-2005 | 01:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jimmypsp700
you will get a noticeable increase with a pipe and clutch kit. Some pipes can be used with the stock silencer to keep the noise down.
That's what I would do, and you could always switch back with a jetting adjustment.

HPD pipes for the 400 bolt right up using the stock silencer, I would call RCR and talk to Rick.

Jim
http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm
thanx, finally some1 who knows what there talken about..i felt like a dumb@$$ lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005 | 03:07 AM
|
Trailblazer

Hey, I really appreciate the help, gentlemen. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Any idea on ABOUT how much I'll blow (I'm on a budget) before I call Rick? I'm one of those guys that can be talked into spending more on my credit card than planned pretty easily if I don't know what I'm doing beforehand.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2005 | 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

check the site...

"All Pipes and Silencer Combinations.....$255.00, Pipe Alone.............$190.00, Silencer Alone...........$70.00"

He has HPD pipes w/ silencers for around $255.
and clutch kits starting at $90, which is what would be best for you IMHO.

You could also look at just getting a higher engagement primary clutch spring for around $20.
I think you can pull it off for $210 (pipe and spring alone).

Jim

Old 03-04-2005 | 03:59 AM
|
Trailblazer

Duh, I guess I should have looked at the website before asking. $210 is definitely not bad.

Quick Reply: Cheapest/most reliable mods for a 2 stroke 250