Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

many simple questions, fluid? clutch? piston?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default many simple questions, fluid? clutch? piston?

Ok so I should have my top end back tomorrow I have to check with the machinist in the morning. But I have some questions.

1. Is there any identifier on the stock piston? Part# or something. the piston I'm replacing had ART written on the side, I'm trying to see if this is the stock piston or not. I told my builder I wanted .020 over and wanted to make sure the motor hasn’t been punched out before.

2. Presently I'm running the Polaris yellow spring, a couple sites list the poundage of this spring differently, assuming the lowest of 175 pounds shift out, Is this putting my engine over the appropriate rev rang? I'm on the stock pipe.

3. My secondary clutch is stock, I don’t want to change helixes but would like to switch the spring. Do I have a hold of how the secondary works? Stiffer spring has a latter shift out or no?. Is increased back shifting kind of like EBS as in stiffer weight spring will make the bike slow down faster when the gas is let off? Does a stiffer spring slow top end speed? If I’m wrong here please help me out.

4. When I reassemble the motor I want to change the fluids. The counter balancer has the yellow dip stick correct? What fluid should I put in its place? I saw 10w30 mentioned before.

5. I do not have oil injection should I be mixing my first tank of gas extra thick? Do I need to put oil in the crank case? There seemed to be some in there when I replaced the reeds. DO I need to put some oil in the bottom of the case? Enough oil to submerge the crank. I know I need to apply two stroke oil to the cylinder walls?

6. Should I apply extra grease to the bottom end bearings? The bottom end is already assembled?

Thanks in advance all assistance is appreciated.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT

Old 03-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]
Originally posted by: conig

5. I do not have oil injection should I be mixing my first tank of gas extra thick? Do I need to put oil in the crank case? There seemed to be some in there when I replaced the reeds. DO I need to put some oil in the bottom of the case? Enough oil to submerge the crank. I know I need to apply two stroke oil to the cylinder walls?
Yes and YES ... you should run a little richer on the oil for the first two tanks of gas and i would put two cycle oil all over the bearings, inside of the case, piston, and cylinder.

6. Should I apply extra grease to the bottom end bearings? The bottom end is already assembled?
no grease ... just two cycle oil ... if it's going to sit for a few days before you are able to start it ... IMO use Mobil 1 sync oil.