Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I'm back with my GNCC race results on my SP800!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back with my GNCC race results on my SP800!

I'm back after some 3400 miles. Now that I'm rested this is what happened.

The Florida race. Got a great start and was right behind Mike Penland in 4th. I was on his butt the whole first lap. So after the first lap I was in 4th just seconds behind Penland. The track was getting very ruff and whooped up, but the 800 was handeling them awesome and felt very strong. I start the 2nd lap on Penlands butt again, but this time I passed him about a mile in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. That was the greatest feeling, I passed the 11 time GNCC champion. I pulled away from him and even started passing sport quads as the 800 was doing great. At this time I was in 2nd place. I get by the first check point and continued to pull further ahead. Then about 2/3 through I was on a straight away when I felt a very hard hit on my right front tire. It actually felt like my rim that got the hit. It had to be a stump that I did not see. Well not much further, the 800 became hard to steer. Looked down and had a flat. The stump must of pushed the beed in and let most of the air out because there was no hole in the tire. So I still tried to go as fast as I could to get back to my pit to change the tire. Well as I was going back there was a sharp left turn and with the right tire flat I was worried it would break the bead, thus riding on my rim. But I saw a path that a few other quads went that was straight so I took it. Well a vine was hanging down grabed my handle bars and yanked me into a tree. Thus broke the bead on my tire, bent my tie rod and lower a-arm. So thus my race was done. Then about 2 min later Penland went by me. So you could say I was quite upset[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. But overall the 800 felt great. Plus it was great seeing Matt Smiley Predator up on the Podium with a 3rd overall place. His Predator has about 1/2 the cost as the rest of the pros. His quad is basicly stock with just a few bolt ons.

Now the Georgia race. I was able to get parts next day air so I could race, but didn't get them until Thursday. I finally got some riding in before the race but blew my belt. But I did bring a spare. I'm glad I did ride before the race because it would of stunk big time if it broke during the race. My start was not as good as the Florida, but I was still in the middle of the pack again right behind Penland. As we were going a bottle neck came up in which Penland got around but I could not. Then I see Ken Robey cutting through the woods to get around as I sat helpless. I finally get going and finished the 1st lap in 7th about a minute behing 6th of Robey. The 2nd lap went good and I was able to pass another rider and was in 6th after two. The 3rd lap was going good too but got slowed down a couple times with the sport quads going trough the mud. But still hung on to 6th. The 4th lap was going great but again sport quads in the mud slowed me down some. About the 7 mile mark I saw a blue Grizz that was in my class and put the gun down on him. So by the 8th mile I was on his butt. Then a split section in the woods I made my pass to be in fifth. Then we get the the field section where you pin it then take a sharp right at the end before the woods. Well I stayed on the track and the guy on the Grizz cuts through the field to avoid the corner and gets back in front of me. (this is called cheating) So I'm steaming that this guy will cheat to be ahead of me. Well we get to another open area and the 800 caught up real quick then we start with a long fast sweep in the field and I passed him again. Then where back in the woods with only about a mile to the finish with one more open area. Well coming out of the woods he was on my tail and on the corner before the open area he was right beside me tire to tire. I nailed the gas and was in front in a matter of seconds and knew he was not passing me. Then the last woods section came where there is no way of passing due to the tightness of it I knew I had 5th place. I get around the first sharp corner and all of a sudden the guy on the Grizz is flying right in front of me. He cut the course again right through the ribbon of the course to get in front of me again. Well there was only about 500' more to the finish and no way to pass him. So as we get to the finish to get scaned I gave him a tap and bent his rear bumper in disgust for his cheating. So after the race I protested about his cutting the course and showed Racer Production where he did it and they said he could not do what he did. But only if a official saw or if he addmit to it was the only way to get it overturned. Well they anounced his name many times about the protest and he never showed for the 5th place award. So about 3hrs after the race I asked if anything has come up. They said he still has not showed. I asked doesn't that admit fault. Well they told me to take the fith place award then e-mail to see what the final resuts will be. So I'm just waiting for my reply. I didn't travel over 3400 miles to get beat by a cheater. So I will let you know what happens.

So all in all, the 800 did awesome. Many were suprised on how well the 800 handled and the power it puts out. And since I didn't have much seat time on the 800 due to all the snow up here, I felt I did a good showing. The only thing that concerns me is will I go through belts every 100 miles or was the stock one a fluke. I guess I will see. Also 4 laps is all I will get out of a tank of fuel. The 800 loves to eat gas. After 40.4 miles of the course I was on my last fuel bar. So that was my race experience.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

VERY impressive for such a heavy Machine, but then again you did manage to lighten it a bit didnt you?? AT any rate I would fear tiring out wresteling that beast. But when you hit the Straights theres not much that can touch it in the 4x4 class. Way to go and congrats! You should have just tapped that Guy on the grizz, Would have just felt like a little speed bump..L

Old 03-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the great report, GE! Too bad that jackass had to resort to cheating, but it sounds like you had some fun anyhow. Were you running the Bighorns during these races? If so, how do you think they performed? I'm thinking about picking up a set for my 700.
-Steve

Old 03-14-2005, 08:03 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

Wow!!! Really nice try! Too bad about the tire ...sounds like you would have done great there. And wont even go to the other cept to say great job on placing 5th ...... thats AWSOME!!!!

Old 03-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

apperantly you did not get my previous post that stated "go kick some ***". Just kidding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Good job !!!!!!!!. I wish I had the sac to go out and do something like that.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Great Job Man!!

I was hoping to get to the Georgia race to watch, but wasn't able to make it, spent the day putting my quad back together instead. I am planning on running my first race this weekend. Its a Mid-East Harescramble Assoc. Race. A few of the GNCC Pros go to these races as well.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

great job....too bad on the tire....would have liked to hear those results....

Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the report ge. D@MN the bad luck! hope you get to keep the 5th place, after all you earned it the other guy didn't. good luck on the next one. if ya see robey, give him a tap and tell him it was from a guy who races a black sport in awrcs, he'll know who it is.
jeff

Old 03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the report GE...Sucks on the tire...But 5th place is still pretty good......Congrats man....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Good job GE.Just think what must be going through them guys on them sports quads heads when you go by.They must be thinking dam I just got passed by a 750pound polaris.Keep up the good luck...

Quick Reply: I'm back with my GNCC race results on my SP800!