Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW MOD.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

Well I think I will only do this if that wire is there. I dont want to have to switch them on and off. If the wire isnt there, I'll just add some driving lights to the front instead.

Anyone who has a service manual for a latemodel Sportsman, could you check the schematic for us?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

I use the White wire that is under the hood for my reverse light. Pull it in reverse and the back up light comes on automaticly. Mine is an 03 700.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

Thank you. Any one with an 04 or 05 who can also confirm this?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

This really is not a new mod, at least to me. I did this a long time ago. It is very helpful when plowing or riding at night. Why they did not do this along time ago from the factory is beyond me. It is supposed to be a utility atv. Why not have a utility light already installed so us consumers dont have to figure it out ourselves. I know the new ones have them and it is about time.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

Speaking for the 05s here. There is a resistor module that measures resistance between wires for the tranny ranges. I have not found a reverse wire that is good to use. Now, I havent yet tried to tap into that wire, but tapping into the one that is on that module will change resistance, its just a matter of how much resisntance is changed and if its too much of a change.

I have not seen any magical white wire on the diagram or on the quad.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

now that I read some of the issues with wiring the worklight to come on when in reverse, I don't know if I really want to wire it like that. I think I may just use an on/off style toggle switch so that I can just wire the worklight to power and ground with an inline fuse this way I can just turn the light on when I am plowing and then turn it off when I am done.

Less wires to cut/splice into the better right?

Old 03-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

I only used 2 wires and 1 splice for my setup and no switch. It is wired directly to the harness that goes into the top of the tranny. So when I go into rev it comes on.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default NEW MOD.

I ran two wires to mine also easy enough to turn it on and off with a sw
i ran the ground black to the batt. and i ran the red wire from the light to one side of the sw pulled power from the acc. outlet i put a fuse in between the outlet and the sw

Old 03-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

i think that i am going to just wire mine into a switch as well so i can turn it on/off at need. to do this, can someone please tell me what to do, i am not exactly sure as to how to do this, thanks

Old 03-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

Originally posted by: polarisbear500
i think that i am going to just wire mine into a switch as well so i can turn it on/off at need. to do this, can someone please tell me what to do, i am not exactly sure as to how to do this, thanks
just get some decent gauge wire like probably a 10/12gauge, a on/off toggle or switch and an inline fuse. bolt on your worklight and then install your ground wire to either the battery or any other good ground source. install one positive wire between the positive side of the work light and one side of the on/off toggle switch and another postive wire from the other side of the on/off toggle switch to the battery or other good power source.

one thing I may do is buy a distribution block for all my accessories. what this does is it takes one large gauged cable from the battery to the dist. block and then the dist. block gives you several spots to attach other smaller gauged wires to it to get your power source. this way your battery is somewhat freed up from all the different postive wires we all hook to it for our accessories.

Quick Reply: NEW MOD.