Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

NEW MOD.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

How much extra accessories can these quads take before they start discharging while riding? I can't plow with my lights and handwarmers on because the winch eventually kills the battery; the warning comes on and I eventually stall. I know the winch is a big part of the drainage, but in the winter I mostly plow, so i am thinking that anything else I put on my be for summer use only.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

are there any battery companies that make like a heavy duty battery or like a dry cell battery? I can see my headlights dim when I use my winch so I know that it's drawing some major current. I seen on Ramsey's website that their winches are supposed to draw alot less current than brands like warn.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default NEW MOD.

I havent seen a heavy-duty battery, but I have seen some dual-battery setups. Only thing is that you need two batteries in the same condition if you do not use an isolator. Same condition means same age/usage.

At full pull, the Warn 3000 says it uses 202 amps, my Superwinch uses 220. That is a lot of power. They are about even at around half power, 1500 pounds.

I picked up some lights at Napa today. I ditched the reverse idea when I saw some nice intense-white driving lights. I have been puttin them on today. Only thing is I am at camp, so not much access to tools. I have been pretty much using the stock toolkit in the back of the quad. I got the wiring all done, only thing is i have like an electric screwdriver and have to drill through the side of the brushguard (where I decided to mount). That is about 1/8" of steel. After about 4 charges, I got the first light mounted. I am halfway through the second hole. The installed one looks nice. I also need a waterproof switch, I temporarly used the one that came with it and didnt cut any holes.

I'll get some pics up when I finish the other light.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default NEW MOD.

You can use a marine dry cell battery. The kind that they use for trolling motors. Or do what most others do and add a second battery. I run my handwarmers, winch for plowing and high intensity h3 lights and dont have a problem. I would like to add a second battery though.