Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV TV and the 800 Sportsman...sigh

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005 | 11:30 PM
|
Elite Pro Rider
Default ATV TV and the 800 Sportsman...sigh

Ah yes, Doug Meyer, Mier, ah you know who I'm talking about. Surer glad I didn't waste much time watching the "TV Crew" shirts run the "unlimited utility quads" through their paces. Had the sound up, and the picture on ignore. Here follows a couple of simple observations....yes, you can call them personal opinions. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

1) Why does this crew of people have an ATV show to showcase themselves wearing TV Crew bragging shirts.....like we can't figure that out. Why not contact an ATV riding gear company and evaluate the riding gear while you test the quads....or would that not feed your ego enough...as a "TV Crew" member.

2) Why does the last 5 minutes of the program have to focus on "objective" and "subjective" definitions. I ya call 'em like you see 'em...why should you have to qualify your statements.

3) Uh, if you're labeling a show as "The Ultimate Utility Test" why is the largest displacement quad missing? Maybe if a certain "TV Crew" would venture (just once) out of their little home brewed test area, they'd be able to work with a couple of American made manufacturers a little easier. And yes Doug, we're all aware of who are your major sponsors......and the others,which don't bow down to you.

4) Why must you continually make the same marks against a certain machine's traits. Have you taken the time to research the particular design "flaw" with that particular companies engineering department. Hmmm, could there be a specific reason a component/system is designed a particular way? Are there legal liabilities which could guide a company's design characteristics?

5) I remember in my younger days, plastic was deemed "cheap", prone to breaking. Enter the age of composites with me. "Plastics" are not only very strong, they also offer savings in the weight department. How can you rate a simple tubular steel rack over a composite rack which also offers compartments for storing your gear? Multiplying your load carrying capabilities, while keeping certain items dry and secure....can an open tubular steel rack do that....yet it is somehow rated higher. Why?

I could go on, and on, but why. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Yes, we all have our faves, but why must certain people continue to broadcast their's over, and over, and over.

Old 03-16-2005 | 11:33 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

Well put....Thanks!

Old 03-16-2005 | 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Of which the following statements apply and were concieved of... "It's not what you know, but who you &low!" And here is another I remember hearing as a kid..."Do you believe everything you see on T.V???" It's too bad that we are all too often let down when we seek out publications and t.v. reviews to help us in our decision making, but find out that they differ little from the early morning "paid advertising" programs that are on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2005 | 12:53 AM
Range Rover

Tonight I watched the show. I don't own a bike...yet. I found myself scratching my balding head. The KQ got a 10 rating and twenty seconds later they cut to the suzuki comercial...huh.
Was it just a coincidence or is Doug a little biassed? I'd like to see these things from a distance going side by side through mud and snow. not little clips of climbing over a small rock.
I have been doing alot of research prior to my big purchase, and alot of things I have read and heard are contrary to Mr. Meyers "objective" opinion.
On the Suzuki thread people are bailing left and right on their QK because of the reverse thing. (Reminds me alot of the liberal left [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
But in general they both have their mechanical problems, strengths and advantages. Its a tough choice.
I am certainly interestred in the KQ and the Sportsman, but I think I like the idea of American made VS made in japan.

But I've been eves dropping on you guys for about a year now and I gotta say this...Ive had a hek of a good time listening in.

Old 12-14-2005 | 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I meet Doug once and he is a really nice person to talk too but I also agree with everyone here he is biased to his sponsors. I remember once watching one of his shows that had a Honda 3 wheel drive I think it was a Rubicon a Kawasaki prairie 650 and a Polaris Sportsman going up this rocky trail. Doug would show the Honda with its 3 wheel drive stuck many times. Then he would show the Kawasaki struggling through the same obstacle only to show the Sportsman have no problems but yet he still said the Honda was better. I am not sure when or where Doug had a falling out with Polaris but I am almost sure it happened.
I would suggest doing what I have done I called dish network and discontented the outdoor channel then I sent an email to the outdoor channel and told them how disappointed I am in there programming IE-ATVTV.
There is Fisher ATV has an alternative to Doug’s biased opinions.

Old 12-14-2005 | 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I’ve watched the show off & on for years (more off than on). At first I was excited that there was a show devoted to “my sport” but that was soon tempered with my disappointment in Doug’s obvious preferences being thinly disguised as objective reviewing.

It’s interesting to note the changes over the years. When the Sportsman was the only big-bore with IRS he used to bash the system. Now that virtually all the big bores sport IRS you sure don’t hear that complaint anymore. I’m sure his “objectivity” appeals to those who dislike Polaris machines but then again as a Polaris owner I’m probably a little more sensitive to his bias than I would otherwise be.

I get a kick out of one of the bumper clips showing a Kawasaki struggling to cross a creek in 3-wheel drive but when the Polaris with AWD follows someone gets off their machine to help it over the rocks and through the water. I have to feel sorry for anyone who views this show expecting good, solid, objective information. It’s entertainment, end of story. When it comes to ATVs I’d rather be #1 riding, or #2 playing with mods on my quad, or #3 participating in this forum with you guys. Watching ATV TV doesn’t make a blip on the radar. It could, but not the way it’s currently presented.

Old 12-14-2005 | 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

To summarize what I have said before.. The ATVTV web site has clearly the most useless comparison of quads that I have ever visited. LOL, it clearly has the worst case of off-shore-itis of any ATV site I have ever been to. How the heck do these clowns rate the 500 Suzuki engine in the Artic cat at 7 and rate the exact same Suzuki engine in the Vinson as 10!!!! Same with the trans... LOL, how the heck do you combine fit and finish in the same group as ergonomics?? These clowns actually criticize the quad when it has high suspension travel and high ground clearance. Where the heck do these idiots ride... on I75? Sorry, but this web site in no way objectively rates any ATV.
BryceGTX

Old 12-14-2005 | 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

last time i said somthing about him it dident set well, but.

he is a flaming retard! he worships his sponsors quads.

he never includes polaris in the tire shoot out because he says they alreay come with radials.
well i wann aknow how it would do with a difrent freaking tire..

and wtf is up with him and his flaberjaberling';ing ing ing. he can hardly talk.
my dog speaks better then this dude.

and one more thing, on the highlifter episode, he said the articcat had IRS in the back anf the Front ha.

also, he gives the quad no throughtle and says is very under powered.

damn strait that dude is a fool!

just wate till the suzuki and honda guys get a wif of the thread, i am gunna hear it from them.

Fred.

Old 12-16-2005 | 12:43 AM
Range Rover

Take it easy Fred, lol

shees you guys, I posted last in March. How the heck did this thread get resurected?

I gatta agree whith what has been said.

I gotta add my 500 hohoho is an awsome little rig. Never seeses to amaze me what it will go through. My bud has an older 400 with almost 4k miles and hasn't had a lick of trouble. Carefull carma.

Idea... Mabee one of you guy's with a lot more knowledge of the web than me could e-mail Mr. Meyers a link to this thread and the one we posted the other day.

Lets cut Doug some slack, maybe he just doesn't realize the defect. sometimes pride takes a while to "fester out" eh?......uuuh.
-------------------------
had to go back and edit my spelling