Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 4x4 probler

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler 4x4 probler

Hello everyone i am new to the site and hopeing to get some helpful advice from some of you on a problem i am haveing with my 1999 polais scrambler 400 4x4. we did a lot of work on it today but before we did it only one tire would turn on and then it would not turn off but after a whil it would turn off but then while rideing it it would turn itself on with the switch off also the other tire would not turn on only every once and a while it would spin then turn back off. well today we replaced alot of stuff and now the tire that worked and stayed on turnes on and off with the switch just like it should but we now have the problem with the other one staying on all the time then turning off and back on when the switch is off. it seems that if you unplug the wires that run to the hubs they dont work and they stay off but otherwise with them pluged in and the switch off the one will turn itself on. well i hope this all makes sence to explain my problem i am hopeing some of you have maybe experienced this and know what i should do. thank you.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Welcome! I wont be able to help you much other than moral support. My 99 also has some 4x4 issues. The dealer told me the earlier models like ours had a mess of spagetti for wiring. My 4x4 works whenever it feels like it. I think I narrowed it down to some modules by the radiator. If you have an owners manual look at the wiring diagram in the back. There are 2 wires going to both hubs that control magnetic coils. The 4x4 is all electric. I found out when my 4x4 DIDNT work the brown and white wire was hot. Not that this has anything to do with your problem, but it sounds like its a problem between the handlebar switch and the hubs. I used a test light to follow where I did or didnt have power. You should see a difference in which wires are hot or not when one hub is engaged and the other is not. I hope this makes a little sense to you, because as I read it myself,,I get confused,LOL. A tip I heard was to change the hub fluid if you havent as it becomes contaminated and can affect the coils operation but that probably isnt your issue. Keep me posted, Frank

Old 03-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes i know it gets confusing try writeing it LOL its hard to explain something in writing but any ways today we tore into the hubs and first realised that they were packed with grease then noticed that one of the clutch cages was bent not alowing the (weights) to expand out and the plates that lock it in when it is magnatised were warped so we went and got everything we needed and then cleaned eveything with parts cleaner and rided everything of grease then after testing over and over we also noticed on the tire that stays on if you tighten the bolt a little bit it turns on then when you loosen it it doesnt werke at all this is the bolt that holds the hole esembly together we also checked all the wires and there was a cobled mess on the side we are having problems with but we spliced all that with phone whire sence it is the same thickness of the wire that is stock. so i know the person who owned it prior to me had this problem but when i bought it thry had the whole unit off claiming his kid wanted it lighter but i know now why it was off but i hope i got a ok deal on it but it just sucks pumping money into other peoples headaces.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

ttt