Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Reverse Override

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Reverse Override

Tyler,

By no means am I an expert at the Reverse Override thing, from what I read it is done differently depending on the generation or year of your quad. However, what you ask is theoretically true. I had posed a similar ? to Snowride over at the Frontier, but he has not got back to me yet. I asked him if you can just tap the gray/orange wire and the purple wire in the pod and run a toggle between them. From what I read around the different forums the purple wire on pre 04's was wired for reverse accessories, so when in reverse the wire would have juice.

Since I did not hear back from him and I am getting anxious to ride, Last night I just installed the kit I bought the from him. It was pretty easy and straight forward. I put a toggle in line between the switch he sells and the gray/orange wire under the pod. When I kicked it into reverse it flashed slow when the toggle was on, and did not when it was off. I ordered a reverse light today. I am going to wire it with a toggle, and then tap into the line from Snowrides switch, This way I can turn it on as a work light, and then also it will come on when I put it in reverse.

Like I said, check the info over at the ATVFrontier, or do a search here on the Connection.....

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more info...

Hope this helps,
ZMan079

Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks.
I need to register over there first, it won't let me go through your links as a guest. I have been snooping around here for proper override procedure, as well as that reverse accessory wire. I think that when in reverse, that wire grounds, and when not in reverse, it stays open. I was curious as to see if my 04 has this, as an automatic reverse light would be nice for plowing (leaving it on is not an option, I am short on power as it is, and a switch every time i reversed would be annoying.)

I don't see why the crossing of the wires with a switch wouldn't work; as long as the standard override button is just a button with no other electronics inside, than a small toggle should do exactly the same thing as the button being held down. Rather than trying to find the wires under the hood I would just tap them as they go into the left handlebar box, or use the schematic to find the color and grab them as they go through the pod. I think they are just signal wires, so a small toggle should do the trick.

Thanks for the info,
Tyler

Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

You'll wish you hadn't done it the first time you forget to shift out of reverse and nail the throttle trying to catch up to a buddy or something. Been there done that. Only thing that kept me from ending up flat on my a$$ was the reverse limiter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

on my 2003 polaris trail blazer on the right side.. right foot when u are sitting just underneath the plastic there is a wire clip. i think its like 3 wires that connect to eachother. If i unplug the wire it still starts up and functions properly and lights and everything work but u dont have to hit the reverse override button no more.. thats how i did it in my trail blazer. should be similar to the sportsman

Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 AM
Pro Rider

Well fishslab, they should put reverse limiters on cars to then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Who only knows how many people have driven through their garage walls, or backed in to another car becuase they didn't pay attention.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

LOL. You can still back into things with a reverse limiter, just slowly. Most reverse accidents happen a low speeds. For that matter reverse in a car is a low gear. Most people just don't get thrown through their windshields and accross their hoods when the screw up in a car. It would be kind of funny if they did though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

I would think that the digital speedo would need a signal telling it that's it's in reverse since it shows what gear you are in.
If you could find that wire (if it exists) you could wire it with a relay as if you had a 'tranny signal wire'. right?

Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

The biggest reason for the reverse limiter is not to keep you from going over the bars, it's to keep you from flipping over. These things don't handle for scheisse in reverse and tend to get REALLY tippy.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

fishlslab and PooNanny,

Your points are very valid and I agree that they put it there as a safety feature, but there have been several times where not having the wheels turning up front has caused my back end to slide sideways when backing up. Alos I have been stuck several times in snow and mud where trying to hold the RO button and push or pull the 800lb beast was next to impossible.

My plan is to use a lighted toggle so I know when I have bypassed the feature. and I'll probably leave it off until I switch into reverse so I'll be aware of taking it easy. One exception to that is when I am plowing, I'd probably leave on all of the time.

Thanks for the input,
ZMan079

Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly what I was going to say, zMan. I'd only use it when stuck or plowing. When I get stuck in the snowbanks and have to back up, I don't even try to push it out. I just get the car and yank it out. But with the override, I could just use the switch when stuck to avoind problems.

Also, adding one of these reverse beepers should eliminate any problems of forgetting you are in reverse. My sled has one, and there is no way I'd forget to shift back before taking off.

If anyone has one of those, or is going to the dealer and can look at one, could you look at how it's hooked up? If it comes on automatically (even on the 04's and 05's) then theoretically one could use the same wiring to hook up an automatic light (or just get the beeper from RadioShack and do it yourself). Plus its got a button to use it as a horn, very useful when trying to get someone ahead of you's attention.

Quick Reply: Polaris Reverse Override