Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix

To fix the backfiring problem, I took the four screws off the throttle linkage cover and bent the tab away from the switch it depresses at idle. I don't know what this switch is for but it has not backfired since and it runs perfect.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: R1Pilot
To fix the backfiring problem, I took the four screws off the throttle linkage cover and bent the tab away from the switch it depresses at idle. I don't know what this switch is for but it has not backfired since and it runs perfect.
That is the ETC. It applies the rev limiter in the event that your throttle cable breaks and sticks with the carb wide open. This keeps the quad from running out of control. It depresses a micro switch. You can hear the switch click if you listen closely. SOme did need some adjustment, just make sure you can still hear the switch click.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RickRitter
First thing tommorrow morning I am going to pick up a new Phoenix for R&D . There are few things I enjoy better than dismantling a new machine and seeing something different on the inside . I would really apprecciatte any and all Phoenix owners listing the worst things about these machines you have encountered . This will give me a jump at what may need some attention . This is probably the only thread you will ever see that someone is asking to have his new quad bashed . But please .... Bash away .. Thank you :-) Rick Ritter
There is not much range to the tranny. Seems like it has totally shifted out quickly and you are running on all motor. It is very similar, only larger, to the other minis so I'm sure some of the mini gurus can be of much assistance. Not that you couldn't figure it out either, but why reinvent the wheel. Idon't know if it is the rev limiter or not but it sure seems to lack top end, almost like it's being held back. I'm sure it could be the cam or the pipe, but I've been wanting to put a tach on it to find out what revs I'm actually getting. Although I'm too cheap to buy them, a nice aftermarket choice for suspension would be great. Maybe a disc break conversion for the rear. I don't know how restictive the exhaust is now, but it sure could use some visial improvments. I think it sounds good though.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Rick, I'm sure youv'e had a tach on the Phoenix for some time now so I have a couple of questions.
1. At what RPM does the rear clutch engage to get you moving?
2. What is the final shiftout RPM?
3. What RPM is the rev limiter kicking in?

Old 04-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

well, i dont have one but when i was in the service department of my dealer to pick up my quad i saw 2 phoenix's that were all taken appart and i asked one of the people what was up because they look like decent quads. he told me that both of these were customer returns and they both had blown cdi boxes, and the transmission probalems that everyone else seems to have and other various electric problems. I belive the phonix is made in korea or another asian country too so they could be at a cheaper price. im almost positive ther not made in america

Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Designed by Polaris and built to specs by Aeon in Taiwan.
They also build the polaris 50's and 90's as well as machines for AlphaSports and other companies.

Jim

Old 04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Bump for Rick

Old 04-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have done little to the Phoenix since we picked it up . We have about 2 tanks of gas through it . (April 28 is todays date)

We have noticed it does run a lot better than it did after we rode it around a bit . I have had no problems , even the shifting from F-R is ok , I can see though it could be a problem since all is exposed in the linkage setup . The rear end though does spew oil out the overflow ~ doesn't bother me a bit .

A question to other owners - doesn't it feel like it revs more than needed ?

I have a full slate in the shop and would LOVE to be working on mods for this bike right now but customer jobs must come first . I do have parts for an exhaust and a carburetor to test on the Phoenix as soon as I get a spare moment.

I like the size of the machine , I can ride it and have fun . The suspension is to stiff for me (255 pound geezer that dodges bumps and mud) I think a little more zip from the motor and a plusher ride would make this quad a whole lot more entertaining than it already is .

Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RickRitter
A question to other owners - doesn't it feel like it revs more than needed ?

I'm not sure if it revs more than needed, but it sure revs out too quick for my taste. It feels to me like it hit full shift out very early and then feels like it hits the rev limiter not to long after that. I've got some rollers ordered from the dealer. I'm going to lighten them up a little at a time and see if that doesn't extend the shiftout range.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is there anything new about Phoenix rev limiter?
Or clutch?
I think it is all in electronic?
Best wishes from Slovenia!

Quick Reply: April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix