Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix

First thing tommorrow morning I am going to pick up a new Phoenix for R&D . There are few things I enjoy better than dismantling a new machine and seeing something different on the inside .

I would really apprecciatte any and all Phoenix owners listing the worst things about these machines you have encountered . This will give me a jump at what may need some attention .

This is probably the only thread you will ever see that someone is asking to have his new quad bashed . But please .... Bash away ..

Thank you :-)

Rick Ritter

Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a post on here about the clutch from the phoenix. He has pictures posted in hid gallery. He also has some pics of hinm getting some seriouse air with it. So far he has had no problems with it and says after it is broken in it is quicker. He says it handles very well to.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

There is also other posts like the "many problems" post and a few reviews.

ATV sport gave it a pretty good reveiw last month. The front shocks have two top mount locations for more agressive riding habits. I think they said they didn't like the weight and rear break being a drum style.

You go Rick, keep us posted!

Jim

Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, my Phoenix is a special case. I took delivery Jan 17. I was told to take it easy during the break-in. It was back in the shop the same day.

(1)There is a brass plug near the oil filter ($16 for a filter too) that sprung a leak. This plug has to be placed in 100% correct or it will leak.
After that was fixed it started leaking oil from the top, apparently during assembly the gas tank "pinched" a line because a connector was mounted the wrong way at the factory.

(2)The front headlight assembly will "pop" out if you take a moderate bump. Replacement cost was $149.00 for both pieces.

(3)My transmission was filled with gear oil. (I was told by my dealer Polaris did this by accident) I was having horrible shifting issues and when it was replaced with the AGL fluid it was night & day (perfect!)

(4)My rear axle was overfilled which caused oil to spew out of the breather (again I was told Polaris did this by accident) While we are in the back forget using the rear drum brake...it suck$.

(5) When pounding the trail it gets "knocked" out of gear. (Was told this will go away when its broken in)

(6) The airbox intake is located just under where the seat meets the plastic covering the tank, during use the seat has pulled back about a half inch leaving this spot open, water & mud gets in VERY FAST when you hit any puddles. I have since repaired this by purchasing a radiator hose from my local Auto Zone and I have extended the intake about 6 inches next to the gas tank. (under the plastic body)

(7) Was told by the dealer this quad was MADE IN USA

I know this is a special case and a new model has its "growing pains" I really hope this sparks no "Polaris Bashing" I have to say I did try to give the quad back but after all the waiting and work done it is a really fun quad and she gets beaten every weekend and has come back for more each and every time.

Old 04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

My son's is about a month old and the only real problems are it grinds going into gear sometimes it is hard to get in without a grind and the rear brakes do suck. Also no hand gaurds are avail. yet. $16.00 is alot I just got a filter for $9.00 from Horns.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

That is exactly what happened to mine and I only mentioned it to the dealer because he asked if there was anything else wrong with it and upon closer inspection they discovered gear oil was put in the transmission and then they said there was a post from Polaris to "watch out" for the Phoenix's gearbox they were filled wrong. Grab a quart of the AGL and replace it, it makes all the difference.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

My Phoenix is a couple of months old, one weekend at Pismo under the belt. Observations:
- Usual problems putting it in gear...
- Clutch engagement rpm is a bit low...
- Shocks don't work well for adult riders...
- underpowered: small carb/ restrictive exhaust/ restrictive intake?
- Seat latch is stuck...
- front bumper has no lateral support...

Hope you can do something for it, Rick. If not, I will do some mods myself, over time.

Trending Topics

Old 04-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

Just got done with a complete service and found gear oil in the trans put in the agl and it shifts alot better almost no grind lets hope that takes care of it.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

We picked up my sons Phoenix in January and since then, these are our gripes !!!
- My son weighs 85 lbs. and the rear shock bottoms out jumping off 4 foot jumps. Actually, the swingarm bracing smacks the frame !!!
- It still backfires on occasion.
- There is a loud ticking noise that i am concerned about. Took it to the dealer and they adjusted the valves and said good thing I
brought it in for they were way too tight !?!? Loud ticking noise still there !!!
- Rear drum brake is worthless !!
- Trans. is hard to shift into gear. Have to give it gas so it "falls" into gear.
Other than this "minor" new model stuff, my son beats the crap out of this thing and it really holds up suprisingly well !!! I have to keep reminding myself I only paid 3 grand for this quad !!! I have to say though, if there were a pipe and jet kit for this quad, I would be first in line to buy it !!! Looking forward to see what you have to say about it !!!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Trailblazer

Horeseplay, try changing the trans oil that should be a big help with shifting. The book calls for 41 oz. but mine took more to get it in the sight glass.

Quick Reply: April 1st RcR gets it's Phoenix