Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

mod idea, relocating gas tank on scrambler. is it worth persuing this brain spasim.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mod idea, relocating gas tank on scrambler. is it worth persuing this brain spasim.

subject sums up the idea. I was thinking alot of quads now have the gas tank under the seat towards the rear of the quad in the under the seat area. I was looking at some dragster fuel cells and have found one that looks like it will fit in that area thats 3 gallons.

Is it worth me getting this tank, and positioning it under the seat removing the main tank on my scrambler and using the oil injection tank as a spare gas tank? I see a couple benefits to this.

1. lower center of gravity the tank would be about 8-9 inches lower then the stock one.
2. probable better weight distribution with the weight of the reserve tank up , and the radiator up front.
3. would probable make it easier to keep the front wheels up going through woops.

If I can't make one work here I could always look at getting a gas tank rack, and placing a fuel cell back there, it would be alot less work, but im not sure if that would push to much of the weight over the rear tires.

any feedback postive or negative is apprecited

Old 04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default mod idea, relocating gas tank on scrambler. is it worth persuing this brain spasim.

pic of busa with a tank like I am talking about.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you think its made of? I wonder how much it weighs? the stocker weighs 6 lbs
I would say its worth a try, but are you sure it wont hit anything when the suspension is compressed?
I think in general, its a good idea- lower center of gravity and liter up front

Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

its made of plastic. I checked clearance with a 2.5 gallon gas can that fits in the area. weighs 1.5 pounds for the can and fits in the area nicely the clearanc eis alittle off. I trhink if I do this I would make a new one out of fiberglass. that way I can get the messurements correct.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the one problem with that is that since the tank is in the back, the back shock will bottomw out ALOT more due to the increased weight, thus the whoops would become even more of a problem. I would think it would be better for a flattrack racer, but not for trailrides and what not. I know the vforce/kfx700 has been sucessful with that, so I guess it is worth a try

Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
CED
Pro Rider

You would also need a fuel pump,gravity feed wont work very well.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Not to mention you are losing capacity and if your scrambler is anything like mine, it gets terrible fuel mileage.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

well the v force is rear mounded as is I think the praire 750. most of the bombadeirs as well.

I only weigh in at 150 so the additional weight I don;t think will effect my quad much. I can always adjust the preload. I ordered progressive suspension springs for the front, hopfully they will help me in the woops. if I have to run a fuel pump it would discorraige me.

if the oil injection tank was feeding fuel as well, then I shouldn;t have any starvation prblems with the front wheels up, then I could use a reserve like the stock tank petcock with lower fuel draw point. and two draw points on the rear tank.

the scrambler is a fuel hog, but Ive not ran it out yet on the trails I ride. plus thats what the big red in my signature is for. I have a friend driving is for me with a 5g of premix. =)

this just really has me curious, it looks like it may be more work then its worth.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

I could use another fuel tank as it is now.My 400 race scrammy eats way too much gas. I allready use the oil tank as a fuel reserve tank and it still isn't enough,so, i could use another. I can run it out of almost 5 gallons in 1 hour.
One other thing a fuel pump can be bought for 20.00 bucks.