Old 04-13-2005, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave glacier mount on or off?

I'm leaving mine on Tyler, cause
#1. I'm lazy
#2. those two front bolts are a pain
#3. I'm lazy.
Plus I just found out that plow makes for an awesome bulldozer- I've been doing some landscaping around the yard in both loam and "B" gravel. So I'm leaving the mount plate on so when I want to do some yard work I can just drive into the plow. Plus if it does get damaged, you can buy the mount plate seperate and it's not too terribly expensive so no big deal.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

I was going to ask the very same question, I currently have my mounting plate on my atv still but was curious whether or not to take mine off as well. It would be about my luck that I would need to either use the plow or move the plow once I took the mounting plate off so I guess I will leave it on for right now.

Does anyone know how much just the mounting plate weighs?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

I took mine off....I can put it on in less than 15 minutes, so might as well keep the bars on the mount in good shape....loose alittle ground clearance when it is mounted...

Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

Not sure how you guys are loosing ground clearance? They slap right up against the frame. I play in all types of mud and get hung up all the time. I can assure you that the plate is not what is causing me to get hung up. Well...I never actually did a scientific study to fully determine the prime cause. lol

Old 04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

My thoughts exactly. The Glacier mounting system does not cause any loss of ground clearance. If anything, it acts like a skid plate. Even if the two angle pieces on the outer edge of the mount do become somewhat damaged, the plow will still seat itself on the mount with no problem. But to each his own. If you do not mind taking it of and putting it back on twice a year, go ahead. Just don't do it because you think that you are losing ground clearance because with this system you are not.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Well I don't want to have to bend those side pieces back into shape, they are thick metal. I do notice while riding around my woods I can hear it scrape rocks every few minutes, so I do believe it barely reduces ground clearance.

Primus- how well does the plow work for dirt and whatever? My 60" straight blade said it is recomended for snow use only. Would it work to move a brush pile in the woods or something? That would be of some use to me.

Tyler

Old 04-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Tyler, I have the 60" Razor and it worked well in the dirt. I graded my driveway which is b gravel covered with dolomite and I had a bunch of tri-axle dump truck loads of loam I dumped in my yard last year which were still froze in the centre and I just started chipping away at the edges about half a blade width at a time and it broke it up well. Once the chunks thawed out I spread it and it worked quite well. So far there is no damage to the blade or the skid shoes. You just have to use common sense that's all, cause I know your Sportsman has enough power and weight to inflict damage to the blade before it will stop pushing. I hit a few hard banks this winter and my 500 didn't stop but now if you look at the front of the blade in the sun you can see the shape of the framework on the back side imprinted into the blade. So just go easy as you push.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks primus.

I'm gonna hijack my own thread: Primus, did you ever get that synthetic winch rope? Amsteel blue or similar?

thanks
Tyler

Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

No I never got it yet. My steel has held up since I had it repaired. I'm just waiting until I hear a little more about them because I had a couple people tell me they don't hold up well and they tend to tangle up on the spool. I probably will try it eventually but I am getting real busy at work now so the SP ain't getting many hours now.