Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'Stress Fracture'

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2000, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''STRESS FRACTURE''
No,not the frame on my quad,not the structure on the boat or car,IT'S MY RIGHT FOOT.

I've been having some problems on the outter side of my right foot for about a year now,especially after a hard game of basketball.I have some time off now,so I decided to have it checked out.The foot Dr took some x-rays last wk and it showed no break.He sent me in for a nuclear x-ray on it,it showed a stress fracture.I seen the foot Dr today,he put me in a cast for 4-6 wks,all the way from my right foot to just below my knee,he said I cant put no pressure on it, so that meant crutches too.

I pleaded with him for another option.He would'nt oblidge.I told him I been walking on the damn thing like this for about a yr,he just smiled and said if it dont get put in a stationary position [cast] it would'nt get any better on its own.So,in a cast it went.

I drove home,it was extremly hard to do with a cast on.Tough to hit the accelerater pedal correctly with a cast on.Upon getting home,I had some things in the car that need to be taken in the house,hard to do with two crutches by my side.I get into the house,I fell on the kitchen floor,my cast and the floor dont like to bond together, two very slippery surfaces.I went in the back yard to measure up my chimney stack for the wood stove,it was hard to dodge the mud caused from last wks rain storm,a foot of mud on the crutches.I could go on and on about my lack luster day.I wont,you all get the picture.

The last straw was when I hopped on the quad.I was assending a small hill and my right foot/cast flew off the floorboard.Now im REALLY pissed.

I HAD ENOUGH,it took me 35 minutes to remove that fiber glass structure they call a cast.I took my die grinder and cut that baby off.My wife had come home from shopping,she seen me grinding away and was pissed,''OH WELL''.
Now that I know it is for sure a stress fracture,I wont be playing any basketball for awhile.Take away my hoops,but,

''LEAVE MY QUAD ALONE''
Bill

Old 09-29-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

I feel your pain. A few years ago I tore legiments in my ankle. Doc said the toes-to-knee cast had to stay on for 3-4 weeks. Man those casts can be a bugger to get off.

Old 09-29-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

AKScrambler,
Yah,this Fiberglass cast was very hard material.I even burned the patting under the cast a little.I had to let off the die grinder for a minute to let things cool off.Im suppose to go back to the foot Dr next Fri to let him inspect the cast.I aint got it figured out yet what im going to tell him.Maybe I'll have the wife call him for me and she can tell him im out of town and the cast is just fine?[LOL]
Bill

Old 09-29-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
My cast was fiberglass to and it was difficult getting by the thick part at the ankle. But I think I've got a solution as far as the Dr appointment. Box up the cast and send it to your Dr with a note. "Dr. So-and-so, sorry I'm unable to make it to my appointment. Please return to sender upon completing your inspection of the cast."

Old 09-29-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

You convinced me Bill!

You must really love that Xplorer. Just imagine if ATVing was outlawed...you would have to go to re-hab due to withdrawal syndrom!

Old 09-29-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

And withdrawal, you may yet! I think I'm gonna talk to your boss (at home) and get her to call the doctor early tomorrow so you can get another cast before Sunday. I'd really like to see that... Besides, you ain't the doctor! You bring the grill and cook the hot dogs and burgers. We'll do the riding. Tell Berry, Joe, John and everybody else to show up too! We may never get this oppertunity again. Bill sittin' and not sayin' much... I think I'm just dreamin'.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 09-29-2000, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Chuck,
Now you know damn well even if I had the cast on for this coming Sundays riding event,I'd of allready schemed up a plan to ride with you guys.And it would of went something like this,

I have construction grade garbage bags that are extremly strong,so I allready had it planned [even as the doctor was installing my cast]that I was going to wrap the cast in these heavy duty garbage bags,than tape it off towards the knee.
Cast or not,

''I WAS STILL GOING TO RIDE''
Bill

Old 09-30-2000, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Bill:
Die Grinder! That's my boy!!! As far as the doc's are concerned, I personnally think they're full of it. Not knowledge either, the other stuff that doesn't smell so good! I broke my back a few years ago. Took the T-10 vertebrae, broke the right wing off. Took T-11 and split the damn thing right down the centerline in two symetric halves. Also broke a chunk the size of a quarter out of my shoulder blade. I didn't know what had happened at first, but I couldn't walk all that well, and it burned like hell deep inside. So, I went to the doc, he said I was busted up real bad, and that I had to be on a bunch of drugs, a split thoracic cast and laid up for at least 6 months with no moving what so ever!

I love downhill skiing. He told me I'd be lucky to walk again, and that skiing was definately out for good. This happened on Nov. 6th, a few years ago. I was skiing with my grandma the first of February! Walked into the docs office for a check up and he got really upset with me, said there was no way in hell I could be walking that fast, I said well, I'd been to hell, but got kicked out. Guess they don't like my kind down there, and he could take his cast and his bad advice and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Started riding buckin' horses a year or so after that, which didn't help much, and managed to get in a few car accidents as well. Care to know who I saw about all those broken bones??? Yup, you guessed it, the VETERINARIAN! Might sound funny, but I've been seen by more vet's, and fixed, than by any doctor out there. Kind of makes a guy re-think the entire medical profession now doesn't it.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your bad foot. If I were you, I'd kind of rest a while in the recliner, after work of course, and lay off the basketball for a while. Make sure to take a few advil if the pain is too bad, and RIDE EVERY DAY! Happiness cures more ailments than any drug on the market, so stick tight with that quad!

Good luck,

Mike

Old 09-30-2000, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

Cowboy,
Just casual walking,the foot is not in hardly any pain,but after a good game of hoops,it hurts like hell.Im going to forget the basketball until at least the 1st of the New yr.The quad and I are still as one though.I just DONT picture myself in a cast and crutches for 4-6 wks,that was very appearant in the first few hrs of one yesterday.I've got far to many things to do than sit on my recliner with a cast for 4-6 wks,especially knowing that im fine with casual walking.Im telling you,I was extremly FRUSTRATED.

Im glad that things worked out for you with your back problems.You and I certainly agree on one thing about happiness.It cures more ailments than anything out there.LOL,===Bill

Old 09-30-2000, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, at the risk of appearing to be an old fuddy-duddy who just doesn't want you to have any fun, I'm disappointed to hear you removed your cast and refused medical diagnosis, treatment, and advice.

Why? Because, in your best interest, I would want you to be sound and healthy; cured of your ailment; healed of your stress fracture.

While you receive lots of pats on the back for being a macho, macho man; and, yeah, you "play hurt;" I question the wisdom of refusing treatment. Is the tough-guy image worth jeopardizing your health?

Religious "fanatics" sometimes refuse medical treatment to the extent the courts intervene. Who will intervene for you?

Of course a cast and crutches are inconvenient; howver, genuinely brave and tough men and women have learned to accommodate them; some who must use them not only for a few weeks, but for the rest of their lives. I believe you are capable of functioning on crutches also.

While dissing the medical profession may be easy and popular, everyone alive today owes a lot to health care; medicine remains necessary for survival. I'd advise against turning down medical care when it's available.

Nonetheless, I don't want to be around when you develop acute appendecitis deep in the woods of the Upper Peninsula; however, you may borrow my pocket knife, if you promise to return it!

Tree Farmer

Quick Reply: 'Stress Fracture'