Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

/04 Sportsman Rawhide tires compared to the new 800 EFI tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default /04 Sportsman Rawhide tires compared to the new 800 EFI tire

/04 Sportsman Rawhide tires compared to the new 800 EFI tire

Can anyone give a good comparison of the new Polaris 800 tire to the older Rawhide tire? I know the 800 tires are radials, and the tread aggression looks about the same. How does the traction compare, and is the 800 tire really in more puncture resistant than the Rawhide tire??

I can get a good deal on a set of 800 tires, but I am not sure if they are really any better than the rawhides or not.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

Ive ridden both, infact the rawhide alot longer than the new polaris tires and came up with this.

Raw hides: never put air in them since they were new, i think they are 6ply. very aggressive. (04 600 & o3 700)

polaris tires: I have to air the front ones up every time i ride since the first time. many gashes in sidewalls, very aggressive(800 has more power though) & ride great on the rode (could be 800s new suspension) i think they are only 4ply. Quads are in storage cant check now.

this is alot of trail riding and I have almost 200miles on my 800. Im not impressed with the new polaris tires as far as holding air (kinda important when your 6 miles from an air pump and you got aluminum wheels on a rock trail "last weekend"), but for mud and ridding on the rode they are great. I suggest the new Mud lights with the 1.5" tread.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

From what I have heard the new tires on the SP's(they all have them, except they are optional on the 400) are a better overall tire than the goodyear rawhides. Those new radials are supposed to be one of the best stock tires offered on any of the manufacturers atvs. I have the rawhides on my SP500 and find them to do good in mud,but they tend to spin too much on hardpack and in snow. I am not sure about the puncture resistance between the two. Personally, I would buy those new radials.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Trailblazer

I had the Rawhides on my 600 and never had a problem as far as durabilty goes. I put on a set of new 800 wheels and tires, and the first ride I made I cut the sidewall pretty bad on the right rear. Maybe it would have happened on the Rawhides too, I don't know.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have both and have to agree with the above posts for the most part.

They are both 6 ply tires and the Rawhides are VERY durable, they are the most aggressive tire ever put on a stock machine.
The New PXT may be the BEST all around tire ever put on a stock machine.
They both weigh about the same.

I have not put much time on my new Wetlands but they seem to be a better all around, smoother riding and better handling tire.
I would still chose the Rawhides for mudding and all around durability.

I will keep you all l posted on th new Wetlands performance and how they hold up.

I have some side by side pictures in my photobucket link if interested.

Jim
tires link

Old 04-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the feed back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was wondering if maybe the aluminums rims might have been the reason for the slow leaks?

Nice comparison shots jimmypsp700. In those pitchers it looks as though the Rawhides mite have a bit more grunt than the 800s do, can you notice the extra inch of height with the 800 tires?

The Rawhide is a 6 ply. Is the radial a 6 ply also?

Old 04-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Working many years at my Dad's gas station steel rims hold air better than aluminum rims. We had customers about once week come in and add about 5-10 psi to their tires with aluminum rims. And if was really bad we would break the wheel & tire down and put a special coating on the wheel and reinstall the tire and that would hold air for about a year. If my 800 starts to leak I'll put Slime in the tires.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

How does slime affect the balance of the tire though? I like going fast and right now it seems to roll pretty good. You know all those modded 700s want to race.

Old 04-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

They are both 6 ply.

The 26' radials were slightly taller, And yes I did notice the quad sitting a little higher.
I think both have 3/4 inch lugs. The rawhide has wider lugs that are spaced more between them and is part of the reason they dont ride as smooth. The other being they are Bias plied.

Aluminun wheels do have a harder time holding air especially in the winter but it should not be too bad, most likely there is a rim leak at the bead, not being seated properly or dirt between the bead and tire.

Slime will not fix a rim leak and adds about a pound to each tire. Some like it, others dont, i prefer not to use it unless in a emergency. It may also throw out the balance, IMO.

Jim

Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Rawhide Grip is a 4 ply tire. I seen at Rocky Mountain ATV they now have these Rawhides in 26" size.

Quick Reply: /04 Sportsman Rawhide tires compared to the new 800 EFI tire