Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

the water was too deep.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2000, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got back from the river where i drove in a little too far. water was over the front rack, but not above the air intake. i got stuck and was getting pulled out when my 2000 sp500 quit. i tried to start it while i was still in the water. it didn't start. after i got out of the water, the pull start won't move and the electric start won't turn it over either. what now?
i would appreciate any help. i don't really want to take it to the dealer unless i have to, since i might trade it in.
thanks.

Old 09-30-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

i beleive you got water in your engine,stand it up on your rear wheels and drain the water out of the exhaust first..once you do that take the spark plug out and turn it over by hand a few times..once you get the water out of there,that is assuming you get water out from the head,check your oil,theres a good chance its milky (water in it)looking,youll need to change it a few times to get the milkiness out..change it,warm the engine, change it,take it for a quick ride change it,and so on..also if you have a paper air filter that will probably be no good and need to be replaced..you may also want to check your differentials and your tranny for water as well as they vent below the rack level,there actually sitting in the frame rail unless you extended them..good luck

Old 09-30-2000, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

YUP!!!....

FYI... Never attempt to restart an engine in deep water unless it will turn over by hand first.... the electric starter has the ability to bend rods and/or break pistons... Usually, if mine dies out, its because the carburetor drain tube has backfilled the bowl full of water, thats been fixed along with everything else on the bike.
My Magnum IS the: USS_POLARIS!!!!

Old 09-30-2000, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

well, i stood it up on end. gas and water both came out, not much water, but the gas was not stopping. so, i put it back down, some water came out of the muffler. then i could pull the starter, no problem, and the electric starter also turned over but did not start. i drained the oil, it was oil, no water that i could tell. i can't find my handbook and am having a hard time figuring out where/how to remove the spark plug. any suggestions? (2000 sp500)
thanks in advance.

Old 09-30-2000, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Bret,
you need to find the carburetor bowl drain screw. Pull the left side plastic off of it, and you will see the screw on the lower side of the carb. bowl. turn the main fuel valve off, put out the cigarette..hehehe.... and loosen the screw. That will drain any water out of the bottom of the carb. Also, The air box IS clean and the filter is dry?????
Sparkplug is reached easiest by pulling the right side plastic... but if its rolling over, you can usually get it started up without pulling the plug. Don't rev the motor hard after it fires up.. give it a chance to clear out all the water and after running it for several minutes, drain the carb bowl again and check your oil...

Old 10-02-2000, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

just in case anyone cares or has this happen in the future...
i stood it on end and some water ran out of the muffler. some gas ran out of the tank.
i drained the oil.
i drained the carbuerator.
i turned off the gas.
i removed the spark plug.
i turned the piston a few times.
i filled the oil.
i replaced the spark plug.
i tried like hell to start it to no avail.
i turned the gas back on.
it started right up and a whole buttload of water came out of the belt housing all over the garage floor.
the belt was wet for about 5 minutes.
i went back to the river and crossed again but did not swamp it this time.
thanks for your help.

Old 10-02-2000, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

"i tried like hell to start it to no avail.
i turned the gas back on."

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day! Glad to know I'm not the only one that does stupid stuff.

What a great thread!

Old 10-02-2000, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

LOL been there done that! or have the kill switch off and try and try to start it and get all freaked out thinking something is wrong.

Old 10-02-2000, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Or, change the plug, try over and over to fire it up to no avail. Thinking the new plug is fouled, get down there to change it again, and whala--no plug wire connected.

4wheelindakota,

While out on the trail, after submerging, the best check list to go down is as follows:

1) If starter clicks, but won't turn motor over, immediately quit trying.
2) Remove plug, turn motor over to blow water out of cylinder.
3) Put plug back in.
4) Drain carb, until nothing but gas comes out. Retighten carb drain(not too tight--this plug has a tendency to stick closed if overtightened.
5) Make sure plug wire is on, key is on, choke is on half way, and retry starting.

P.S. I never stand mine on it's rear end, due to the fact that if water/gas does backdrain through the carb, it will soak the air filter, and make for poor running until the filter dries.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2000, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

> 5) Make sure plug wire is on,

This is real important! In case some of you haven't found out yet, the spark plug wire is not attached to the spark plug boot. Make sure it is pushed in all the way. A little bit of dielectric grease would be a good idea here too.