Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installed the Stick Stoppers...hmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed the Stick Stoppers...hmmmm

Hi all, been playing with the KLR650, so haven't been around much.

Anyways, I ordered in some Stick Stoppers for the front before I run into a torn CV boot like alot of you have had. I like the Stick Stoppers, except for one thing.....the u-bolts protruding from the bottom. Here in New Mexico with all the rocks, I'm going to hammer them.

Here is what I am thing of doing.....get square-bolts instead of u-bolts, mount in from the bottom and then have some mounts made for the top of the A-arms to run the square bolts through and mount down. I think I'm going to use some thicker steel and run longer bolts up inside and then make them perfect length. Of course using locking nuts.

Anyways torn up these bolts yet?

dave

Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

I havent screwed up my bolts yet but then agin i dont do much rock climbing. But i do agree it is kinda bad. They work nice and look nice though.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Range Rover

I had some on one of my Scramblers that I always bashed through the rocks. Mine were from Cycle Country. I didn't bend any bolts, suprisingly, but I removed them shortly after installing them because I was tearing up twice as many boots as I had been before. Why? Rocks, sticks, grass, mud, etc. would build up on top of the plate make the boot spin right through it. If there was anything sharp in there, it would tear the boot.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:08 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

if you do that with the bolts what about the dial pins in between the two bolts that stick out also. will you just leave those out. i think they stick down a little for myself, but i tell you one thing. if you got the strongmade stick stoppers like mine you dont have to worry about bending them. those things are strong. heavy to.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2c3
if you do that with the bolts what about the dial pins in between the two bolts that stick out also. will you just leave those out. i think they stick down a little for myself, but i tell you one thing. if you got the strongmade stick stoppers like mine you dont have to worry about bending them. those things are strong. heavy to.
I would trim down the dial pins to flush with the bottom. I think this would work well, the bolts sticking out the bottom make the mounts look like crap and I guarantee you that I am going to hammer them here, I ride in alot of rocks...

Old 04-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thats the same problem i have ... i destroy!@! at lease one u-bolt per ride! ... but only on the front ... the rears havn't broken yet.

IMO they are still better than rippin a cv boot.

I've yet to figure out a way to mount the u-bolt the other way.

I would love to hear if you figure this out.

I too need to get out an ride ... bin working on the plane also most every day ... only about 25 hours of work left before our test flight.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Chris,
I'll figure it out, thats not a problem, but I need to get some time on my friends end mill. I could probably make them by hand, the upper mounts that is....

Right now I got alot of other stuff to do, so it will have to wait until my other tasks are done...

dave

Old 04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I won’t use ‘em because they collect too much mud and pack it in around the boots. If you end up having to back out of a deep mudhole the front guards act like a scoop shovel for the goo.

Here’s an idea that may solve your mounting problem though. Use carriage bolts up through the bottom in the U-bolt holes then drop a saddle from a properly sized exhaust clamp over the two carriage bolt ends and screw your nuts on. If you can’t get the proper sized exhaust clamps just make your own saddle out of some C channel. A good place to find aluminum C channel like this is a commercial glass shop. They use it as part of commercial window and door installations.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: elkbow
Chris,
I'll figure it out, thats not a problem, but I need to get some time on my friends end mill. I could probably make them by hand, the upper mounts that is....

Right now I got alot of other stuff to do, so it will have to wait until my other tasks are done...

dave
cool ... can't wait to see wait you do.