Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Questions for Polaris Diesel owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for Polaris Diesel owners...

I have been searching high and low for information on the Polaris Diesel. I searched the forums here, and would appreciate any input from those with first hand experience. I am especially interested in cold starting ability, power while loaded or towing and highest elevation you have run at. I have only found one owner in Colorado, and so far have not been able to contact him. I will be using this ATV in a variety of applications. It will do mostly ranch work... hauling hay, mending fences, etc. It will also be used in search and rescue and medical evacuation suituations. Every once in a while, I also like to do some trail riding. I am not concerned about acceleration or top speed. Pulling, hauling, and climbing ability are my main concerns along with fuel economy and reliability. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you find someone that is selling one? Polaris does not make the diesel anymore. When they were out I know they had alot of torque and pulled verry well. Top speed was only about 35mph. I know that they were reliable but knot know how they were in cold weather.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I actually know of a few that are for sale. The pick of the crop is a '00 with 300 miles on it. It is a one owner. I have been infatuated with these since I first saw one at the CO state fair in '98. Unfortunately, the rep was nowhere to be found, and shortly thereafter they stopped selling them at elevations above 5000 MSL. I have been talking with a Polaris engineer, and he said that they have been successfully tested up to 8k feet with no problem, other than needing some extra help starting in colder teperatures. I would really like to get in contact with someone who has run one first hand in similar conditions (altitude, temp, etc). It would be even better if I could find someone within a day's drive, so that maybe I could see myself how it performs.

Old 04-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Don't know anything about em, but found this on eBay earlier Polaris Diesel

Old 04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

That seems like a good price. I have been watching it for a bit. I am just not ready to buy yet. I still want to know a bit more about its performance at altitude.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

it sold for $3,833.00. seems VERY steep for a 6 yr old diesel!....with a cracked left front fender.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't notice the cracked fender. Yeah, that is a chunk of change, though thats about what the gassers sell for around here.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

couldn't see it in the pic. i read it in the description.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Duh. I suppose I ought to read closer next time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2005, 07:11 AM
Range Rover

I remember seeing a thread a while back about somebody in Austrailia (I THINK) that has a diesel and he was testing different mixtures of vegetable oils or cooking oils.
His name slips my mind, but I think he's on the forums alot.
His machine is street legal as a farm machine and I recall him being really specific about top speeds and pulling loads up inclines and was quite pleased about its performance.
Diesel engine's are for the most part TORQUE MONSTERS and would be a great workhorse but I know that they tended to be hard starters in the cold but I dont know about the Polaris diesel.
ANYHOW..... If you could find the Aussie, He seems like he's tested his alot and could answer some real life questions on the towing question. Sorry I know this wasnt much help but DIG ON BROTHER, GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Questions for Polaris Diesel owners...