Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Raptor vs Pred? STD vs TLD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor vs Pred? STD vs TLD?

Hey guys,

at the risk of creating a bash session (not what i want to do!)... here goes. I have a friend on a YFZ450, another on a Z-400, and acouple punks on warriors and blasters. One of the blaster guys is going to get a raptor, and as a result, i'm going to need to gear up so to speak. So i've decided on a TLD predator, (brand loyalty and the desire to have all of us have something a little different). SO here's my question:

I've been told that a Pred will slightly edge out a YFZ in a drag. Is that true? also, when a raptor and a pred drag, i've seen the pred win pretty consistantly. I guess my question, before i go buy one is primarily transmission based, is the TLD's transmission a better set up one? (We ride VERY agressively, so i like the close ratio theory) i'm just curious as to how the TLD would really do in a drag, and i know it's quicker on the track, but which is quicker all around? any info would be great! thanks.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

i know this is a little late, but go with the TLD. if you like tons of low end power, it is great. trust me, i beat on a stock TLD pred, a bombardier DS 650 with pipe,rectifier, cdi box and many mods. its a great quad. GO FOR IT!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

The yfz is hard to beat, in a drag. I have beat one out of two that I have raced. If you gear the Pred down you will have a better chance. Raptor don't have a chance!

Old 04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

It's really going to depend on how you both set them up.....with aftermarket parts (and $$$$$).

Neither the Raptor nor the Predator is going to consistently beat the 450s when they are both stock or both comparably equipped. JMO.

If you want to see how they match up in stock configuration (as a starting point for comparison), read the Shootout in the May 2005 ATV Action magazine. Raptor edges the Predator in those specific drags. Last year the Predator edged out the Raptor in slightly different drag scenarios. So, they are pretty close in stock configuration.

My experience with my Raptor and my Predator is that the Pred barely edges the Raptor when both are stock. Now that I have set up my Raptor to run fast, and I have done a few things to my Pred but it still has no pipe....my Raptor now beats my Pred. Once I add the pipe to the Pred I truly expect it to be as fast or faster than the Raptor. Much depends on how you set these quads up. My Pred handles much better and is more comfortable. Because of this the Predator is faster all-around. JMO.

The biggest difference is likely to be the rider.

Rule of thumb: 20 lbs of load equals 1 horsepower. So the lighter rider has a big edge. If you are heavier than him, you will need to spend more to beat him.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

i dont think the pred can keep up wit a YFZ, they are bullets, with their weight advantage and snappy 450 its hard for anything to beat them. Basically it all depends on the driver. stock vs stock i think the YFZ will take the pred easily, the raptor might edge the pred, thats a tough one. I've raced a piped and jetted pred when i just had a pipe and jet and i smoked him easily, now i have a stage one and w/ the winter summer change i was jetted horrible and i lost a drag to a stock pred, so being dialed in is very important. that stock pred also beat a piped and jetted raptor, also poorly jetted, the raptor came back jetted correctly and smoked him w/ ease, amazing what a 1/8" lil jet can do lol. The preds are crazy fast, their top end is pretty sick for a stock machine, their fancy editions r pretty trick also, dont know much about their tranny's, the kids i ride w/ that have them never had any tech probs

Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

I ride with a Raptor that has the alba full system and I don't have a problem beating him. I could beat him stock for stock also. Thats way he went out and $500.00 bucks on the alba kit. My buddy's 04 Pred lined up agaist a DS and he had no problem beating him. I also think it comes down to the rider also.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Trailblazer

I have the 04 preddy. Nor have I rode the 05 TLD or STD. But I have done some reading on it. From what I hear from a lot of people is that the tranny on the STD is better. More so in drags. But the down side to the STD is the shocks. Take the shocks of the TLD and throw them on the STD and you have a force to be reconed with. But then the new Fox shocks the the TLD are not cheap. And that is the main reason people pick the TLD and of course the styling.