Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wired, deadman switch and now tach does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wired, deadman switch and now tach does not work.

So I wired up a tether switch and now my tach is not working. the kill switch is a tusk unit, it wired to the two wires coming out of the throttle assembly. I bought the wrong kind that couldn;t be wired to the coil or cdi, wiring it off the coil, the machine starts without the tether clipped in and then cuts out when the tether is removed. So I wired it up this way and it works.

For some reason after I did this my tach doesn;t work. I checked all connections and they were tight but the tach needle just didn't move. Does anyone see any reason why the tach would quite working? maybe my connections are bad and I just need to rewire the tach. I removed my kill switch and still did not have a tach signal.

anyone know a way I can wire the signal off the coil directly or the CDI ? instead of tapping the signal wire into the yellow with red wires under the hood?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the switch may be breaking the circuit to your tach somehow. I had a tusk switch also, but I didnt use it.
I went with the prodesign. You can try hooking the tach up to the black wire that comes out of the CDI.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I think my problem is larger then the switch, I removed the switch all together, but noticed somthing last night that I did not prior.

all my lights have gone out dash, headlight etc. I figured maybe my battery eliminator blew or something and the bulbs had burnt out, but I took the lights out and tested them on my trucks battery and they work.

Is there a fuse anywere in the electrical system that could have blown be causeing this electrical problem? I didn;t see a fuse anywhere which I found kind of hard to beleive.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

o0k, so I unwired my battery eliminator from the wires that go to the battery at the back of the bike, and tried a test light on those wires? I got nothing. I also check the circuit breaker by the battery since polaris doesn;t use fuses. the circuit breaker was wet so I removed it and jumped it. still nothing. The key switch still turns the quad on and off, anyone know what wire supplys power coming from the case? I want to check this wire for power supply.

does the circuit breaker by the fan affect any of the lights etc?