Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dogs revisited...no farts this time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dogs revisited...no farts this time....

Took the day off today. Did the DooHickey mod on my KLR650...i.e. idler arm, had to pull the left side engine case, etc....

Anyways, then I went and pulled weeds in the front yard and trimmed some hedges. Well, I had my dog out with me. Of course we have leash laws, but not in your yard or property. So some woman comes down the street running her dog, looked like a Rottweiler/mix, big dog. When she first went by on the street that my street runs in to, my dog seen them, but I just said 'stay' and he walked back up to me trimming the hedge.

Well, as you know, I have a Rottweiler. He weighs about 115 pounds now and is a male, not fixed. He is a super great dog, wouldn't hurt anything unless it tries to hurt him. She comes down the sidewalk running with her dog, i didn't see her coming, but Bear did. So he got his stance on the sidewalk, not sure if she seen him or not, but I see him start walking forward and tell him to 'come'. Next thing you know, she appears with her dog. She starts screaming when Bear runs up to her dog. I mean she was SCREAMING.... Of course Bear was just trying to sniff her dogs private parts and butt.

She keeps screaming, I yell for Bear to 'come here'. She is screaming help and all other kinds of stuff, of course Bear keeps trying to sniff the dogs private parts. She then goes out in the road, I tell bear to 'come here', he comes over to me. The woman is crying, says to me 'why did you do that?'. I'm not exactly sure what she meant by that. I said 'he is harmless'. She says 'I don't care'. I tell her, 'well then don't come down this street again.

What is it with people? Do they think they won't run into a dog, whether it a Poodle or Rottweiler out in someones yard. People have their dogs out....I have no problem with that, just as long as they are not aggressive. If they are aggressive, they need to stay locked up. When I go hunting, I run into Bears and Mountain Lions....I don't start screaming, I just avoid them....unless of course I am hunting them.

Anyways, I carry pepper spray when I walk my dog. The reason is for aggressive dogs. I've had a few dogs come after my dog that were not friendly. Those dogs need to be on a leash and I have no problem kicking the crap out of them if they come after my dog. If they want to play or sniff his butt, I don't care, thats just a dog.

I figured she would call the cops or come back with her husband or something, but nothing so far. My dog didn't leave the yard, he is well trained. I didn't have time today to take him for a walk, so figured out would let him out in the yard with me.

So what is everyone elses take on this? I'm sorry the dog scared her, but if she gets scared that easy, I think she needs to stay in the house...thats my opinion....probably one of those people I flip off in traffic because she doesn't know how to drive either....

dave

Old 04-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

wow....interesting story, I dont see what the her problem was, if your dog wasnt barking or growling or anything like that, I would not care.....I have came across MANY dogs before and I never get paniced or anything like that...I do however have to watch my dog, because she is a dominante german shepord, but will only go after dogs....cats...rabbits...whatever....but she has NEVER came after a person...except me once...but that was because she didnt know I was coming and she was protecting her pups at the time....

I wouldnt worry to much about it....

our other dog, the black lab, is currently off at a trainer....comes back in about 2 weeks....we went up to see her the other day and she has made alot of progress and grew alot....

hope nothin happens to ya dave

Old 04-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

My dog won't even go after another dog, cat or anything, except to play or smell its private parts, as all dogs do. He is not aggressive unless you try to enter my house without me letting you in, then its another story. He has never went after another person, he loves kids and people. He doesn't like all men, but just avoids them.

I've encountered so many dogs, no big deal. I had him in the mountains last year helping with a search of someones mother that was missing after she went hiking. My dog can see, smell and hear better than me, so makes an excellent search dog. Although he didn't like the camera of the news crew that was there...he actually grabbed the mic when the guy stuck it in his face. He got along with everyone else, just didn't like that camera. When we were searching, we were deep in the woods and ran into a huge bear. He has never seen a Bear before, it was about 70 yards from us in a little clearcut area. The bear didn't see us. Even then I told him to sit, I put his leash on and we skirted around the bear....

I just don't know what she was expecting and what she meant by 'why did you do that?'. Do what? I'm not sure what she meant. My dog didn't bark, growl, anything, just wanted to check out the other dog. Dogs can immediately tell when other dogs are aggressive and if she would have watched the interaction between the dogs, she would have noticed that they were just checking each other out, but she was screaming so loud and causing such a scene, she didn't even notice that....jeesch....get a grip.

Oh well, such is life....I guess I need to take her out in the woods and show her what coyotes, snakes, bear, mountain lions, bugs, etc. are. She must only run her dog on the road because she is too scared to go anywhere else. If she walked her dog in the Petroglyphs (old lava flow) by our house, she would realize ther are a bunch of diamondback rattlesnakes there. My dog has learned not to get near them, only took once, he almost got bit, but was faster than that snake.

dave

Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Good Boy Bear!!!

Keep the outsiders on there toes!!

Unfortunately, dogs are a fad for some people, and she is gonna have more problems in the future acting the way she did.

Most of the time,,,,people are the problem,,,not the dog. Dogs need to send their owners to school most of the time.

Your story reminds me of an incident i witnessed at a 'dog' beach between a lady who was crabbing,,,and a dog owner (2 rather large/brash women)
.....long story short,,,the crabs got pissed on,,,,and the women almost slugged it out,,,,,,,,and they even cussed me when i walked past laughing
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bing
Good Boy Bear!!!

Keep the outsiders on there toes!!

Unfortunately, dogs are a fad for some people, and she is gonna have more problems in the future acting the way she did.

Most of the time,,,,people are the problem,,,not the dog. Dogs need to send their owners to school most of the time.

Your story reminds me of an incident i witnessed at a 'dog' beach between a lady who was crabbing,,,and a dog owner (2 rather large/brash women)
.....long story short,,,the crabs got pissed on,,,,and the women almost slugged it out,,,,,,,,and they even cussed me when i walked past laughing
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
LOL....my dog dog pisses on everything, he isn't fixed, so he lifts his leg on every bush, etc. when we go walk.....I have to watch him sometimes that I'm not on the other side of the bush if its small, otherwise I'll get hit with the stream....ha

Old 04-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

The pissing thing isn't so bad. My old dog (70lb pit) was a truly friendly dog. Raised around kids, cats and another dog (wife;s Shi tzu). He too was the type to lead you through the house if you were brave enough to get past the bark. He would pee on everything, including himself. He had a problem of squatting sometimes instead of lifting his leg. Would end up peeing on his front paws. Always had to make sure how he peed last before you shook his paw.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a 105# doberman, "Bud"weiser of course. He loves to run and do the sniff thing, but I guess I would be running the other way if I saw him coming. You get used to your dog and don't realize what other people are seeing. I hope that made sense. My dog would lick you to death, but other people don't know that. I take my dog to the lake and let him run like everyone else, but I've had people say to me "that's not fair" and I look at them weird because they have their lab running free, so why is my dog different, because he looks mean? You do have a big dog and will get bigger, he is YOUR responsibilty and you never know what they might do. Keep him leashed if your not sure.
We did have a problem when Bud got out in his puppy days and a lady in our subdivision started running and throwing rocks at him, I don't know if Bud was playing aggressive or actually bit her but he did puncture her skin a little. I saw my house flash before my eyes, but fortunately nothing happened. To this day Bud remembers her and will not forgive. Be careful.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I have 2 blue pitss mom bout 2yrs old and dauhgter bout 7 month and a 2 1/2 yr old chocolate lab the lab so smart un ties nots and open doors cost us bout 1000$ in car repair he would go under the car when he was a pup and rip out wires. and the mama pit hates fourwheelers it chases it and will never stop and the daughter she mine she follows me but she is real cut and veryone scared she walks up the yard very carefull stays bak untill she thinks its safe but real strong . by the way the daughter weights bout 65 and mom bout 55 and the lab bout 100 lol .

Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

We had a Dobbie and at 110 pounds when he was coming you new it. He was never a mean dog but he had his moments.... 2 of them I remember like is was yesterday. 1) A few of us were sit on my front porch and the mail man was about to come. Well the mail man was peeking around the corner of the house and he saw him first (he was always chained) Well he broke the chain at the post as the mail man turned and ran, huddled the picnic table and he went under the chain wrapped around the leg of the table and he pull it thru the neighbors yard till he got tired (about 1 block away) We had to move our mail box to the street so that the mail man could drive up and not have to walk...
2) When I was about 12 I was walking him and my Dad was in our front yard and when we got close and he seen my Dad he took off and I let go of the leash and he ran straight into the side of a car (huge dent) the guy thought he hit him but it was the other way around... He bounced off and kept running ( the guy never even saw the dent , atleast not then)

He died about 13 yrs ago and we all still miss him (except my girlfriend he would snap at her anytime she was by me) We (gf and I) now have a CAT just doesn't seem like a fair trade off!!!!

Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

haha i dont got any real storie but my dog is a boxer and she likes to play really rough and the neighbors yorky thing came trotten over when she was chained up and my dog just stood there waitin for it to come close and when it did she reared up on her back legs and just pounched the thing in the face with her two front paws and it did a backflip and ran away with its tails between its legs haha... she also ripped a 100pound dog runner off the house and tree and shes 55 pounds haha she took a runnin start after a squirrel and didnt stop and ripped the thing clean off

Quick Reply: Dogs revisited...no farts this time....