Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

salesmen SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from the Snowmobile Show in DENVER,there were many sleds and of course a few Quads.I talked to two different salesmen,from two differnt dealers.One older and one younger,neither one knew his a$$ from a hole in the ground.The older one I talked to knew some of what he talked about,he was POLARIS salesman.I had said something about the RUBBY he didn't hardly know what it was let alone anything about it.someone had asked him about it earlier and that was all he knew,I would think your in the bussines you'd know something about the competion,apparently not.The second guy was a real joke,the dealership he works for sells a little of everything.Reminded me of the one someone talked to awhile back about Polaris being the leader in ATV sales.Well now according to this guy they now sell 1 out of every two machines that are sold.I asked him where this came from,well it's well documented in the bussiness he informed me.I then asked him what share belonged to HONDA,oh I couldn't tell you that I don't know.Yeah well along with the rest you don't know I shot back!! seems after that remark that pubic relations went down hill fast.I wish the dealers would take some time to train thier employees better,no wonder people mistrust most of them.CM

Old 10-01-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Dang Cobb! Was Poopsie with you? And, didn't they even offer you a glass of PJ?
I went to buy a ZTR mower and for $6000-$9000 you would think they would know which one had which engine and drive system. But, they did not. I had looked at the brochure the night before and knew more than they did. I was embarrassed for them and decided I had better go with another brand/dealer for a new mower.

Old 10-02-2000, 01:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think that is stupid. A lot of these guys don't know jack about their product, and its their damn job. Ask some salesman about a locking 4wd system, and he will tell you "its that lever right there, that locks it in". 9 out of 10 times, he is talking about the 4wd engagement lever or button on a Yamaha or a Suzuki 500. Ask them anything about ground clearance, turning, or suspension and they will tell you something they just read out of the brochure.

Thats why the forum is so good. The majority of the guys here (excluding the braggers) know their machines and can tell you something that you can use. Then you can go embarrass people at the dealerships.

Reminds me of the Polaris idiot at the dealership. The guy that tried to downplay everything that was improved on the HO model, thinking he could sell me a 2000 and get rid of one of the 7 that he still had in stock. Or maybe even the guy at another dealership that said Rubicons ran about $7200. This was the one I laughed like a jackass at and then hung up on. For the most part, I hate dealerships and salesmen. About 3 out of 10 are worth talking to.

Old 10-02-2000, 08:38 AM
Range Rover

Well with all the selling going on at my place I know what you me CM. I am getting rid of the SP500 and the truck that hauls it, so I can get a nice, but cheaper car/suv/truck. Not sure which one yet...

So I had the wonderful opportunity to shop for vehicles this weekend. Theese places are stocked to the doors with idiots.

I knew more than 95% of them. One guy told me the Pathfinder has "special off road ABS" that pumps the brakes 250 times per second. I told I didn't think that was true. He said we had a conference on that model and that's one of the features they played up. I said show me the documentation on that. He was in trouble then.

Some of them are pretty good I must say. Those who actually like cars make the best salespeople. Most of them are there to sell... whatever. It is just a product to them. They do know the product because they aren't all that interested in the product.

SP500 in NS

Old 10-02-2000, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

i must agree with u guys. the problem is that most people that go and buy a car or quad dont know alot about them. the salesmen like to "minipulate" the facts to make a sale. if u go to a dealership and know alot about the product then u are the exception.

has polaris or any other company taken a dealers right away to sell there product because of bad customer support?

later
jon

Old 10-02-2000, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

For the most part salespeople do suck at their jobs. To them ATVs are a job . . . to us its a hobby/obsession. Just imagine how many Polaris would be sold if WE worked for the dealers. Knowing the competition just as well as your own is very valuable when trying to sell anything. I would rather an honest salesperson then someone who is trying to bull their way through.

Old 10-02-2000, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

TxDoc2,

I'm looking for a ZTR right now. Did you end up getting one & if so what did you get? I'm leaning toward an ExMark Lazer (23 HP Kohler 60" deck) for about $7500. I ran across a Woods Mow-N-Machine supposedly made by the same people who make Grasshoppers for about the same price but it doesn't have the suspension seat. Deere wants about $1000 more & they have only been making them for about 2 years. I appreciate any insight you could give, I'm going to be mowing about 5 acres. E-mail me if you'd like. Thanks Lance

Old 10-03-2000, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

Of subject but do what i do i use a 1939 allis chalmers b 4 cyl with a 5' deck works great total cost 2500.00 hell it already ran over 60 years and has lots of history behind it plus there cool. Best bet for a mower is made by woods.

Old 10-03-2000, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not ALL "salesmen suck;" there exist professional salesmen (even ATV salesmen) who know their product, the competition, and who listen to learn their customers' needs. Wish there were more!

Why single out the ATV industry for criticism of a clueless sales force? Name any area or retailing where the staff typically knows more about their stock than their customers.

Yeah, you can name an exception or two; however, mass merchandising, the Wal-Marting of America, the population of "that's not my job, man!" minimum wage order-takers, instead of knowledgeable sales persons, pervade retailing today.

Whether you're shopping for sailing ships or sealing wax, chances are you'll encounter some ignorant, ill-informed clerks, there is no "ATV Salesman's Oath" or unique qualification making quad retailing an exception.

Tree Farmer

Old 10-03-2000, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer

I couldn't agree with you more. I have heard many a small businesses say, its hard to find good help. When I bought my last atv, the salesman was honest with me and told me that this was his first atv sale (he was new to the business). He did not try to give me some sales bull, just a good price. It helped that I had researched the machine and new exactly what I wanted. He just got me the price number I wanted. One my first atv purchase at a different dealer, the owner (it was a new dealership) was the salesman and he also didn't try to bull me. He just gave me a good price and answered my questions. When I went in the last time to buy the second atv, he now has a sales manager that tried giving me all this bs that I knew was wrong. Needless to say, he lost the sale. The best thing you can do is to do your own research. When I went to buy my new Dodge Truck, I gave the salesman a print out from the dodge website of exactly what I wanted, his job was to get me my truck. Eliminates the bs that way.

Quick Reply: salesmen SUCK